Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Pets OK BC reaches 10000 in petition

Post by Fancy »

Why are you having trouble understanding the difference between an assumption and a question?
"How many places have you rented to someone in your life. Where does your knowledge come from?"
Those weren't assumptions but questions.

You stated you rented out after that. Good - established. Move on now.

Now that you've seen photos of what animals could do, you'd have to admit they can cause thousands and thousands of dollars of damage.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

you dont get it fancy. how many these units are under a 1000 a month ? i bet less than 20 percent. so the reality is if these greedy fools want to have places sit empty over a pet then let them . no loss there :130:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Fancy wrote:Worst case scenario:

Bet that fellow either sells or goes to Air B&B.
I had a tenant with a cat. Place smelled and after legal eviction pulled the carpet. No shortage of science projects growing on the underlay and floor. Stupid fat/lazy cat as the tenant had a mouse warren under the kitchen sink. Another stench emanating from there.
No more renting as a residential unit.... Tenant issues and dealing with the RTB who favors tenants just makes it not worth the anxiety...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I have a friend who used to rent his legal basement suite in Burnaby.
It was a good sized unit with its own entrance and all the major appliances and services needed.

He rented it for about 5 years with no problems (mostly BCIT students).
Then he had a bad run of luck. One seemingly good family smoked crack cocaine in the unit. Then they skipped out one night leaving everything behind. We had to strip that place right down to the bare studs in order to get that smell out of the unit. Cost him a fortune. These people left everything behind....including family pictures and identification. My good hearted friend stored the pictures and documentation for over a year...thinking that they might want these things back. Never heard from them again.

Next tenant was a middle aged lady and her grown son.
They snuck in a cat that must have *bleep* and crapped on every flat surface of the unit. This time it was just all the flooring and some of the counter tops needing to be replaced. Everything was repainted. But that cat *bleep* smell lingered for years afterwards. I suspected the molding and trim was the culprit.

Anyway, he stopped renting after that.
It was just not worth the time/money/aggravation.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

seewood wrote:
Fancy wrote:Worst case scenario:

Bet that fellow either sells or goes to Air B&B.
I had a tenant with a cat. Place smelled and after legal eviction pulled the carpet. No shortage of science projects growing on the underlay and floor. Stupid fat/lazy cat as the tenant had a mouse warren under the kitchen sink. Another stench emanating from there.
No more renting as a residential unit.... Tenant issues and dealing with the RTB who favors tenants just makes it not worth the anxiety...

Perhaps the wording of the petition needs to be amended to read, 'Dogs ok, all other animals not allowed in rentals'.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps the wording of the petition needs to be amended to read, 'Dogs ok, all other animals not allowed in rentals'.

A dog is still an animal that is more than capable of ruining walls, baseboards, flooring, etc. The petition isn't going to be amended as it's already signed. That one is making me scratch my head. Amend a document's intent after signing. Every person that signed it would have to be contacted again.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Cactusflower wrote:

What makes you assume that I've never been a landlord? As a matter of fact I have, and my renters had a lovely dog who didn't do any damage to the apartment. When I sold the apartment and went in to do a survey after the renters moved out, I was pleased to be able to return the damage deposit.

My neighbours weren't so lucky. They rented to a couple with 2 young children. When the family moved out, my neighbours spent thousands of dollars replacing floor coverings, repairing holes in the walls, replacing broken windows,and repainting the whole apartment. That family had only resided there for less than a year.

So speaking from experience, I would much rather rent my place to a dog owner than the parents of small children.

As Fancy said I just asked some questions, thank you for answering them. Glad to hear you were lucky unlike your neighbour. I speak from having a number of rentals of our own and my wife managing 2 complexes 178 apartments in 11 buildings. You would not believe what we have seen. After her experiencing thousands of rentals in over a decade she would never rent to someone with pets. Children admittedly aren't far behind.

As far as dogs read my previous post. Dogs can be just as bad as any other animal. It is the owner at fault but the animal doing the damage because they are not taught any different.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote:you dont get it fancy. how many these units are under a 1000 a month ? i bet less than 20 percent. so the reality is if these greedy fools want to have places sit empty over a pet then let them . no loss there :130:
*sigh* - who said anything about letting them sit empty? The places would be sold - no rentals. Like I said, you aren't getting it. When landlords have had problem tenants, some landlords stop being landlords.

You even said it yourself
if it does become law and you want out because of it good.
Less places to rent. Not empty places.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

you dont own them buildings ? is the rent below a thousand a month ? if not then you arent really a part of the topic .
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Smurf wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

What makes you assume that I've never been a landlord? As a matter of fact I have, and my renters had a lovely dog who didn't do any damage to the apartment. When I sold the apartment and went in to do a survey after the renters moved out, I was pleased to be able to return the damage deposit.

My neighbours weren't so lucky. They rented to a couple with 2 young children. When the family moved out, my neighbours spent thousands of dollars replacing floor coverings, repairing holes in the walls, replacing broken windows,and repainting the whole apartment. That family had only resided there for less than a year.

So speaking from experience, I would much rather rent my place to a dog owner than the parents of small children.

As Fancy said I just asked some questions, thank you for answering them. Glad to hear you were lucky unlike your neighbour. I speak from having a number of rentals of our own and my wife managing 2 complexes 178 apartments in 11 buildings. You would not believe what we have seen. After her experiencing thousands of rentals in over a decade she would never rent to someone with pets. Children admittedly aren't far behind.

As far as dogs read my previous post. Dogs can be just as bad as any other animal. It is the owner at fault but the animal doing the damage because they are not taught any different.

Sorry to hear that you had some bad experiences with your rentals. I feel fortunate that my experience was favourable. But that's all we have to go by, isn't it? Our own experience. We can read about and listen to other people's experiences and perhaps keep them in mind, but in the end, I think one's instincts can be even better than references when it comes to renting out our properties.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote:you dont own them buildings ? is the rent below a thousand a month ? if not then you arent really a part of the topic .

[icon_lol2.gif] - really hope I'm not part of the topic. :topic:
There's more than enough info on the 'net to confirm there are ex-landlords because of bad tenants/pets.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:I don't believe you people. Children cause far more damage to rental units than animals do. Geez, I hope I never run into any of you animal-haters on the street. You'd probably grab my doggie's leash and strangle him with it.

You really think anyone here would cause harm to your dog?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'm willing to bet a high percentage of landlords have pets and look after them well. It is not ourselves we worry about. For one thing we have to clean up our own messes at our own expense not someone else's. Most renters are good but it only takes one bad one to ruin 10 or 20 good ones. Did you look at the link Fancy posted? It only takes one experience like that to ruin everything you have worked hard for. And believe it or not they are not that rare although that one is extreme. I know, my wife has tried to get people evicted and it is a horrible experience, even ending up in court. You seldom if ever get anything out of it except getting them out.

Fancy wrote:

Worst case scenario:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/l ... -1.3872415
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

maryjane48 wrote:you dont get it fancy. how many these units are under a 1000 a month ? i bet less than 20 percent. so the reality is if these greedy fools want to have places sit empty over a pet then let them . no loss there :130:

Greedy.....what a ridiculous statement....and trust me, they aren't empty.
Last edited by vegas1500 on Oct 3rd, 2017, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

Landlords should be able to charge significantly higher damage deposits if it becomes mandated that pets must be allowed. Like 2.5 times the rent as a damage deposit. 50% of the rent regular damage deposit, 100% pet damage deposit, 100% to cover potential missed rent due to cleaning/replacement deposit. If the tenant and animal are good then the tenant gets the damage deposit back with interest. However, if a landlord is forced to replace flooring, drywall, paint, window coverings etc. after a bad tenant they not only face the up front cost of the replacements but are faced with having the unit sit empty for a month or two. These costs should be the responsibility of the bad tenant not the landlord.

There should also be a change to the final inspection format. When notice is given a preliminary inspection should be completed asap. The landlord would be able to give the tenant a list of any damage found at that time and the tenant would have time to address some of these issues before their tenancy ends. The preliminary inspection would also allow the landlord to make plans to clean, repair or replace items as soon as the tenancy ends. It takes a few weeks to line up cleaners, installers and painters. If a unit is down for a month to clean and repair that is one fewer rental unit on the market that month. The faster you can get it back on the market the better it is for everyone.

Return to “B.C.”