NDP to limit former govt workers in lobbying

Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: NDP to limit former govt workers in lobbying

Post by Verum »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Verum wrote:Not that I care much for the NDP, but can you refresh my memory as to what higher education qualification our previous Premier had?

It's not just about the leader though. I mean, we have a failed drama teacher running our country right now. It's more about the education level of people running the government, that are put into positions due to pork barreling. Joy McFailure running ICBC??? Really??? The NDP attract people who aren't that bright, because they have failed loser policies. And I don't see that changing.

It's quite evident that all parties attract people who aren't that bright
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Verum wrote:It's quite evident that all parties attract people who aren't that bright

yes we can definitely agree on that. :)
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Old Techie wrote:
Verum wrote:This is a small step forward and the NDP need to do much more if we are to consider BC a good example of a democracy. I suspect that they may not be in power for long enough to make the necessary changes to create a well educated and informed voting public with a system designed to work for the public, rather than have the public work for the system

First of all that would require the NDP to actually have well educated members taking the lead, something as rare as hens teeth, and second it would go completely against their mandate, of having a system where the public is enslaved by public service sector unions.

Verum wrote:Not that I care much for the NDP, but can you refresh my memory as to what higher education qualification our previous Premier had?

You are assuming I subscribe to the diploma on the wall theory guaranteeing an intelligent individual, but I don't, never have, never will.

At least Clark understood math better than anything found within the NDP, given the misguided moves they have already made which we will all have to pay for.

By contrast Horkagain has the diploma, just lacks the ability to apply what he supposedly learned. Out here in the real world success requires a bit more than book knowledge, such as practical experience, a willingness to learn and adapt, something that after 16yrs on the sidelines the NDP still hasn't done.

They likely never will, and shall continue to always blame everyone but themselves for their failures.

One also can't help but note, how the NDP always tap into BCTF alumni, whenever they need to run a candidate somewhere, which one would think suggests the cream of the intelligence pool, but then they open their mouths, and one is instantly reminded of that old saying, "those who can't do, teach." :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:You are assuming I subscribe to the diploma on the wall theory guaranteeing an intelligent individual, but I don't, never have, never will.

At least Clark understood math better than anything found within the NDP, given the misguided moves they have already made which we will all have to pay for.

By contrast Horkagain has the diploma, just lacks the ability to apply what he supposedly learned. Out here in the real world success requires a bit more than book knowledge, such as practical experience, a willingness to learn and adapt, something that after 16yrs on the sidelines the NDP still hasn't done.

They likely never will, and shall continue to always blame everyone but themselves for their failures.

One also can't help but note, how the NDP always tap into BCTF alumni, whenever they need to run a candidate somewhere, which one would think suggests the cream of the intelligence pool, but then they open their mouths, and one is instantly reminded of that old saying, "those who can't do, teach." :biggrin:

You said education, not intelligence, so you are moving the goal posts, but whatever.

Clark either didn't have the ability or work ethic to earn even a primary degree, despite years of opportunity and attempt. Horgan was able to earn a Masters. Not that formal education is a good measure of ability obviously, but if you can't even earn a primary degree, you're probably not suited to making important decisions for a Province. Unfortunately, even having a Masters isn't a good indication that one can lead a Province, apparently. I wish we could catch a break and have a good leader for once, but the pool of ideas is too small and we as a province don't value intelligence and understanding highly enough.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ And yet she managed to win two elections, and be the Premier of the most economically envied province in Canada, so in a way you're actually making my point for me.

Care to make a wager regarding Horkagain maintaining that status even with his Masters? So far all I've seen him master is BS.

He's already put a number of things in jeopardy and only been at it a few weeks.

I'm with you in wishing we could catch a good leader.

Quite a few this past election tried to make that come about by sending the Liberals a message, by means of parking votes with the Greens and you can see how that attempt to make things better turned out.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:^^ And yet she managed to win two elections, and be the Premier of the most economically envied province in Canada, so in a way you're actually making my point for me.

Care to make a wager regarding Horkagain maintaining that status even with his Masters? So far all I've seen him master is BS.

He's already put a number of things in jeopardy and only been at it a few weeks.

I'm with you in wishing we could catch a good leader.

Quite a few this past election tried to make that come about by sending the Liberals a message, by means of parking votes with the Greens and you can see how that attempt to make things better turned out.

I never said anything positive about Horgan, so I don't know why you expect me to start doing so.

Where is your source for the "most economically envied province in Canada"? Our income is below average for Canada, which certainly is not enviable. It's not a cheap province either. Unemployment is low, but that's only enviable is the wages are at least average or better. And our neighbour (with an NDP government) is growing faster. Sounds enviable to me.

I am unable to think of a single time I thought to myself that she did a good job, but plenty of times when she screwed up. There are very few leaders, even ones I find deplorable, where I can say that about them.

So, we have a poor government, but I struggle to remember when we didn't. At this point, I can hardly blame the people and think it must be the system.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, given that the Liberals led us through some tough times, including a crash and recession, and Clark kept us on that path to where BC has enjoyed the best economic ranking in Canada. (Statscan)

I'm not suggesting everyone is rolling in dough, but we're sure as heck better off than many places, and for sure better off than last time we were subjected to the NDP. (data also available at Statscan)

At the end of the day what matters most to people is how much money they have left in their pockets after government gets through with them, and under the Liberals it has been more than it was under the NDP.

The things the NDP have already done, and are considering doing, are already heading us back to that place where we have less money left for ourselves, as the NDP has always been too stupid to grasp that money doesn't grow on trees and their promises have to be funded somehow.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Verum wrote: Our income is below average for Canada, .

????

So the solution to this is to raise taxes?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Verum wrote: Our income is below average for Canada, .

????

So the solution to this is to raise taxes?

Maybe, but I never claimed it was. I can see how raising taxes to invest in smarter workers for tomorrow could be good. We can make sure that they understand science, math, etc. which are all in short supply these days. Not that I am actually arguing for increasing taxes, but there are arguments to be made.

There are arguments that we should run a temporary budget deficit to improve things too. And arguments that we shouldn't. John Maynard Keynes was a smart economist who often advocated for interventionist policies to encourage the market. Milton Friedman had other ideas. Both were smarter than we are, so maybe we should leave this one to the experts.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, given that the Liberals led us through some tough times, including a crash and recession, and Clark kept us on that path to where BC has enjoyed the best economic ranking in Canada. (Statscan)

I'm not suggesting everyone is rolling in dough, but we're sure as heck better off than many places, and for sure better off than last time we were subjected to the NDP. (data also available at Statscan)

At the end of the day what matters most to people is how much money they have left in their pockets after government gets through with them, and under the Liberals it has been more than it was under the NDP.

The things the NDP have already done, and are considering doing, are already heading us back to that place where we have less money left for ourselves, as the NDP has always been too stupid to grasp that money doesn't grow on trees and their promises have to be funded somehow.

You have very different values to me. I am far more concerned with the outcome (well-being, happiness, utility) than with the amount of money people have left in their pockets on a day to day basis. Certainly, wealth is important, but it's only one important aspect. Dying tomorrow with $10m in my bank account is less valuable to me than living happily for another 60 years and ending up penniless on my last day on earth.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ That well being and happiness you are chasing requires money. :biggrin:
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:^^ That well being and happiness you are chasing requires money. :biggrin:

Sometimes.

A properly run country/province makes it much cheaper and more likely, but it can be hard to see that if all you are chasing is dollars.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ I'd be happy to stop chasing dollars, right about the same time that the bills stop coming in. :biggrin:
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:^^ I'd be happy to stop chasing dollars, right about the same time that the bills stop coming in. :biggrin:

I guess that's a problem when the Province is run where so many people are living pay check to pay check
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Verum wrote:
Old Techie wrote:^^ I'd be happy to stop chasing dollars, right about the same time that the bills stop coming in. :biggrin:

I guess that's a problem when the Province is run where so many people are living pay check to pay check

That's an unfortunate reality throughout the country, not just British Columbia.

Return to “B.C.”