NDP to limit former govt workers in lobbying

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

NDP to limit former govt workers in lobbying

Post by maryjane48 »

http://theprovince.com/news/politics/b- ... 423a92e044

The B.C. government has introduced a simple two-year ban on lobbying by former public officials, while pushing off many of the details by at least a year while it conducts a new round of “public consultation” on the file.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: NDP to limit former govt workers in lobbying

Post by flamingfingers »

Eby is a refreshing change from the previous BC Liberal weak-kneed mealy mouthed AGs.
Chill
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Great idea , but I'll wait until it is actually law before I stand up and applaud.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bill-proposes-two-year-ban-on-lobbying-after-public-service/article36466416/

"Imposing new restrictions for lobbyists was part of the BC Green Party's election platform, and the governing NDP has adopted it as part of the co-operation agreement between the two parties.

The BC Greens did not get everything they asked for, but further changes will be studied as part of a review.

Green MLA Adam Olsen said he was pleased his party was able to champion these changes and that he would like more to be done. "It's frustrating that B.C. is following other provinces on campaign finance and lobbying reform. I want us to be leaders, to be on the cutting edge.""

So this is a Green Party initiative - NOT an NDP initiative. And the NDP is only doing the bare minimum to get by, and as usual "going to study the problem".

The BC NDP wouldn't know good policy if it bit them.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol the changes come under ndp govt. the bclibs refused to do that. facts vs partisan bclib fantasy :smt045
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

This is nice to see. Lobbying appears to be one of the biggest problems in politics right now
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

This is a small step forward and the NDP need to do much more if we are to consider BC a good example of a democracy. I suspect that they may not be in power for long enough to make the necessary changes to create a well educated and informed voting public with a system designed to work for the public, rather than have the public work for the system
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Verum wrote:This is a small step forward and the NDP need to do much more if we are to consider BC a good example of a democracy. I suspect that they may not be in power for long enough to make the necessary changes to create a well educated and informed voting public with a system designed to work for the public, rather than have the public work for the system

If the NDP accomplish any of what you wrote above it would be a first for any NDP government. The NDP's main goal is to have the public fund their union puppet masters, and their mandate doesn't really extend much beyond that.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i dont see no unions be funded but i do see were the bclibs were taking cash for access
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Verum wrote:This is a small step forward and the NDP need to do much more if we are to consider BC a good example of a democracy. I suspect that they may not be in power for long enough to make the necessary changes to create a well educated and informed voting public with a system designed to work for the public, rather than have the public work for the system

If the NDP accomplish any of what you wrote above it would be a first for any NDP government. The NDP's main goal is to have the public fund their union puppet masters, and their mandate doesn't really extend much beyond that.

I guess the Liberals couldn't do it in more than a decade. I'm not surprised to see you're into your conspiracy theories though. I suppose you believe that "Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face" too [icon_lol2.gif]
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maryjane48 wrote:i dont see no unions be funded

uh...remember 1998? That back room deal that the disgusting Adrian Dix did with the BCTF?? That we're all still paying hundreds of millions of dollars for?? The NDP is just plain awful.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Verum wrote:I guess the Liberals couldn't do it in more than a decade. I'm not surprised to see you're into your conspiracy theories though. I suppose you believe that "Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face" too [icon_lol2.gif]

No, I just believe that the NDP are inherently stupid and can't govern, and every day they prove me right.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

First of all that would require the NDP to actually have well educated members taking the lead, something as rare as hens teeth, and second it would go completely against their mandate, of having a system where the public is enslaved by public service sector unions.

In other words the public works for their system harder than they do any other party, so I don't see where you are getting that expectation from.

In fact this is the main reason those who vehemently despise the NDP do so, well that and their repeated displays of ineptitude that ultimately we end up paying for.

About all we can count on is that no matter how long they are in power, it will afterward again take years to fix what they screwed up. The shorter their reign of power (terror) the better.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Old Techie wrote:

First of all that would require the NDP to actually have well educated members taking the lead, something as rare as hens teeth, and second it would go completely against their mandate, of having a system where the public is enslaved by public service sector unions.

Not that I care much for the NDP, but can you refresh my memory as to what higher education qualification our previous Premier had?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Verum wrote:Not that I care much for the NDP, but can you refresh my memory as to what higher education qualification our previous Premier had?

It's not just about the leader though. I mean, we have a failed drama teacher running our country right now. It's more about the education level of people running the government, that are put into positions due to pork barreling. Joy McFailure running ICBC??? Really??? The NDP attract people who aren't that bright, because they have failed loser policies. And I don't see that changing.

Return to “B.C.”