2 B.C. seniors live in a van and struggle to make ends meet

ferri
Forum Administrator

2 B.C. seniors live in a van and struggle to make ends meet

Post by ferri »

This is heartbreaking.

Wearing a soft red fleece jacket and tiny gold hoop earrings, Alexi Rainier doesn't look out of place walking through the Whole Foods in West Vancouver.

"Most of them, I don't think, have a clue [about my situation] … It would be deadly embarrassing."

The truth is Rainier is 79 and lives in a van, parked just outside in the parking lot.

Rainier, along with her 62-year-old companion Sarah Watson, have been living in the old model Ford minivan borrowed from friends since May. The two women have lived together for the past few years out of necessity.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4342928
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: 2 B.C. seniors live in a van and struggle to make ends m

Post by dontrump »

ferri wrote:This is heartbreaking.

Wearing a soft red fleece jacket and tiny gold hoop earrings, Alexi Rainier doesn't look out of place walking through the Whole Foods in West Vancouver.

"Most of them, I don't think, have a clue [about my situation] … It would be deadly embarrassing."

The truth is Rainier is 79 and lives in a van, parked just outside in the parking lot.

Rainier, along with her 62-year-old companion Sarah Watson, have been living in the old model Ford minivan borrowed from friends since May. The two women have lived together for the past few years out of necessity.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4342928

interesting story;; most likely more to it than meets the eye? where are her 4 kids and whats their position on this ?
lots of unanswered questions here
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

They should try to claim refugee status and Trudeau will take care of them. They are refugees from a cold and heartless system.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Feeding 3 dogs and shopping and eating at Whole Foods. Hmmm I have some financial advice for these ladies.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

TreeGuy wrote:Feeding 3 dogs and shopping and eating at Whole Foods. Hmmm I have some financial advice for these ladies.

Let me guess:
Surrender 2 of the dogs to the SPCA & start shopping at No Frills
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

TreeGuy wrote:Feeding 3 dogs and shopping and eating at Whole Foods. Hmmm I have some financial advice for these ladies.

You missed the in Vancouver part. They have a van and could easily move to a more affordable location in the Lower Mainland like Chilliwack or Hope. They could look at smaller communities in the Interior as well.

If they moved to Logan Lake they could get a 2br apartment that allows dogs for $600 a month plus hydro, all other utilities including basic cable included. Based on the article there is a seniors rental grant of some kind that could further help them out. I feel bad for people that are homeless, especially the people that truly have no other options, but these ladies have a modest income plus they have wheels. Unless there are mental health issues that weren't disclosed in the article the only reason they are homeless is because they choose to stay in Vancouver.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Mark5 wrote:They should try to claim refugee status and Trudeau will take care of them. They are refugees from a cold and heartless system.

yup
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

I feel sorry for the dogs, wish they would surrender them. May help both their situations.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Perfect candidates for any small town or rural living in Canada.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

Such a crock of crap, these ladies could move to almost any small town in BC and could find an affordable rental that would allow them and their dogs. These ladies have it pretty good with their guaranteed income, they can pick up and move at a moments notice, whereas someone younger would need to find a job in the new town before moving.

LARGE 2 BEDROOM PLUS HUGE LOFT HOUSE IN WEST TRAIL - 1000$ a month
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-rental/ne ... nFlag=true
We have a large house for rent in West Trail. The main floor has a big living room, dining room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms and one full bathroom. Upstairs is a very large loft area (sloped roof) with skylights. There is an in-law/one bedroom suite in the basement that is negotiable (rent will be higher if you want the whole house). There is also an attached garage for one vehicle, and a private driveway.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

davis123 wrote:Such a crock of crap, these ladies could move to almost any small town in BC and could find an affordable rental that would allow them and their dogs. These ladies have it pretty good with their guaranteed income, they can pick up and move at a moments notice, whereas someone younger would need to find a job in the new town before moving.

LARGE 2 BEDROOM PLUS HUGE LOFT HOUSE IN WEST TRAIL - 1000$ a month
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-rental/ne ... nFlag=true
We have a large house for rent in West Trail. The main floor has a big living room, dining room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms and one full bathroom. Upstairs is a very large loft area (sloped roof) with skylights. There is an in-law/one bedroom suite in the basement that is negotiable (rent will be higher if you want the whole house). There is also an attached garage for one vehicle, and a private driveway.

Is there a Whole Foods in Trail? A good herbal tea store? What about vegan options? And how about access to decent hot yoga studios?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

C'MON GB.....don't you ever get it, it's not about living within your means (especially after alienating all family and friends) it's about pity and media begging. NO one should ever take responsibility for life choices, just say that life owes them more....more more more more more.

Ya I feel for people that need help, not those that are terrible to those around them until no one will help them, especially when they aren't rational with their desires.

Return to “B.C.”