BC ready for the coming ev revolution ?

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

BC ready for the coming ev revolution ?

Post by maryjane48 »

Two of the world's largest auto manufacturers — Ford and General Motors (GM) — made headlines this week by announcing a significant widening of their electric offerings in the near future, seen by many as emblematic as a broader industry move away from the gasoline engine.

But is B.C. ready for that change?

While electric vehicles are becoming increasingly popular in urban centres like Vancouver and Victoria, much of rural B.C. still has concerns.

Michelle Mungall, provincial energy minister and MLA for Nelson-Creston, says electric vehicles will be an important part of reducing B.C.'s carbon emissions. But she says her constituents have concerns about the adoption of new technology when their cars are such essential lifelines.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4331148
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: BC ready for the coming ev revolution ?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:
Michelle Mungall, provincial energy minister and MLA for Nelson-Creston, says electric vehicles will be an important part of reducing B.C.'s carbon emissions.

I can see that if the NDP isn't brain-dead and doesn't cancel Site C, that electric cars will play an important role in reducing emissions, if you care about that kind of thing (I personally don't as I think that it's insanely stupid). If the NDP is dumb enough to cancel Site C, and instead wants to implement garbage taxpayer cash wasting solar or wind power, then the coming "EV revolution" will be completely wasted on BC, as our government isn't forward thinking enough to put BC in position to benefit.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Oct 8th, 2017, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If BC really wants to push EV vehicle, why not go the route were huge batteries are not needed & no one needs to plug in.
Go in the direction of Fuel Cell vehicles & exhaust is water vapor.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I’m still convinced that EV’s will only be a green way to get around urban areas. I’ve yet to see any evidence that EV’s will be practical when it’s -20 or colder while driving any substantial distance in a snow storm. Between the batteries keeping the electric heater and the electric windshield defroster going, you’ll be lucky to have a driving range of 30 kilometres. Some of us in rural areas have a 130 kilometre drive just to go to the nearest dentist...My gut feeling is that in the future you’ll see rural areas adopting highly efficient, small displacement, clean burning turbo diesels/ biodiesels like you see all over Europe and Australia, or hybrid turbo-diesel/ electric vehicles. But not straight EV’s because they’re too limited in their capabilities to work in rural Canada.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Hurtlander wrote:My gut feeling is that in the future you’ll see rural areas adopting highly efficient, small displacement, clean burning turbo diesels/ biodiesels like you see all over Europe and Australia.

A year ago I would have agreed with you, however it sure sounds like even VW is dropping their Diesel engines.

What I would like to see is a better transit system in the cities, along with a decent car share program for when people honstly need a car.
So most people wouldn't even need or want a car.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

There is no question that the next generation of EVs will be a practical option for dual vehicle families in the lower mainland - Vancouver Island. They will also be practical as "town" vehicles in smaller cities like Kelowna. So a reasonable percentage there as well.

Two (or more) vehicle families can go 1 gasoline (or hybrid), 1 electric. The gasoline one for longer trips, and the electric one for short trips and commuting.

Single vehicle families can opt for something like the Volt, or a similar plug in hybrid.

When you consider the practicalities only, probably 30% of the vehicles on the road can convert to EVs. That's a LOT of electricity (go site C!).

The range of the new pure EVs is now up around 380 km. That makes them practical for a lot of folks - but the purchase price is a barrier.

IF we don't have smart electricity policy, then it becomes a fuel cost battle. If we build site C, no problems in for the next decade or two. If we don't, the demand will be met by expensive sources and the cost of electricity will go up - a LOT. There will be a fuel price battle, as I expect that as the market penetration of EVs grows, gasoline prices will trend down - even lower than what the CO2 tax is going to add (the big oil companies won't go down without a fight). So it is really critical that we don't trap ourselves into high electricity prices like Ontario did (the oil companies there must be chortling).

Too bad it isn't just up to Michelle Mungall. She seems a rational sort.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Just so you guys know, there are already several completely solar powered charging stations. Some that will fold up and stow away in the trunk.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=electric ... 20&bih=460

I would not be surprised if the technology starts including a quich charger option soon
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:
Michelle Mungall, provincial energy minister and MLA for Nelson-Creston, says electric vehicles will be an important part of reducing B.C.'s carbon emissions.

I can see that if the NDP isn't brain-dead and doesn't cancel Site C, that electric cars will play an important role in reducing emissions, if you care about that kind of thing (I personally don't as I think that it's insanely stupid). If the NDP is dumb enough to cancel Site C, and instead wants to implement garbage taxpayer cash wasting solar or wind power, then the coming "EV revolution" will be completely wasted on BC, as our government isn't forward thinking enough to put BC in position to benefit.

Something we at least somewhat agree on. Scary, isn't it.
We need cheap, reasonably clean electricity for the future of our Province. If that is hydro, nuclear, solar or wind, I don't really care. EV cars will hugely increase our power demands, and those across North America. The best way to be prepared for the EV craze is to have lots of surplus power to sell to our neighbours.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

stuphoto wrote:Just so you guys know, there are already several completely solar powered charging stations. Some that will fold up and stow away in the trunk.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=electric ... 20&bih=460

I would not be surprised if the technology starts including a quich charger option soon

With the same footprint as a Tesla Model 3 you might get 1/10 of a battery charge over a full work day. That means that you'd have to wait about 8 hours to be able to travel 30km, and that's on a good day. Solar just isn't efficient enough and those things use a lot of electricity.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I'll be doing my part to help the EV lovers.............will be sticking with GASOLINE! I'm willing to bet that the almost 1% of all vehicles sold today as EV will EXPLODE to 2% in the next few years. If an EV works for you......knock yourself out and keep your mouth shut. Mainstream driving will remain gas powered for a long, long time.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

lesliepaul wrote: Mainstream driving will remain gas powered for a long, long time.

More accurately “long range” driving will remain gas powered for some time to come. EVs will find their niche in urban and short range commuter use, the infrastructure for long range travel, specifically charging stations of appropriate type and number, has yet to be sorted out.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

stuphoto wrote:I would not be surprised if the technology starts including a quich charger option soon

Quick charge requires 240V, 40A, or 7.2kW continuous output.
The average system in the U.S. is 6 kilowatts (kW). If you install a 6 kilowatt (kW) system with 20 average-sized panels, your system will likely measure approximately 27 feet wide by 13 feet long – 352 square feet in all. (This assumes that your panels can be placed close together and that there are no obstructions on your roof.)
Not fitting in your trunk...
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

LordEd wrote:
stuphoto wrote:I would not be surprised if the technology starts including a quich charger option soon

Quick charge requires 240V, 40A, or 7.2kW continuous output.
The average system in the U.S. is 6 kilowatts (kW). If you install a 6 kilowatt (kW) system with 20 average-sized panels, your system will likely measure approximately 27 feet wide by 13 feet long – 352 square feet in all. (This assumes that your panels can be placed close together and that there are no obstructions on your roof.)
Not fitting in your trunk...

at this time, however things are changing pretty fast these days.

Another form of electrical generation some countries are working on it Tidal generation.
Pretty much building a grid of what look like Windmills except they are in the ocean.
The theory being that solar is effected by cloud, smoke, snow and rain.
Wind is effected by lack of wind. Even Hydro can be effected by drouth, and rivers changing course.
However there are always 2 tides going in and out every day.
https://www.gerenewableenergy.com/innov ... e-platform
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Um, sure but we're talking about a portable EV system. You planning on parking next to the ocean for tidal power?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Kinda wondering how governments are going to make up the road tax they receive from gas/ diesel sales. Thought those taxes were an important revenue stream.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “B.C.”