BC ready for the coming ev revolution ?

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: BC ready for the coming ev revolution ?

Post by lesliepaul »

fluffy wrote:
lesliepaul wrote: Mainstream driving will remain gas powered for a long, long time.

More accurately “long range” driving will remain gas powered for some time to come. EVs will find their niche in urban and short range commuter use, the infrastructure for long range travel, specifically charging stations of appropriate type and number, has yet to be sorted out.

Other than short commutes in warmer climates , EV has a LONG way to go to satisfy even 5% of the driving the public requires. I have no intensions of being limited to where I can travel anytime on the spur of the moment. Sooner plan my trip stops according to destination and hotels than mapping out charging stations. I can see it now.........limping into a charging station in "Pump Handle" Oregon and a hand written sign greets you........"Out Of Order"......."Next Station 100 MILES".

No thanks..........I'll wait for the Captain Kirk Lithium Crystals..........less chance of "fusing the engine".
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

seewood wrote:Kinda wondering how governments are going to make up the road tax they receive from gas/ diesel sales. Thought those taxes were an important revenue stream.

It'll probably have to be passed onto the power production, and if the Greens have their way, it'll probably be in proportion to how much pollution and greenhouse gases get emitted.

Government incentives to buy EV cars are stupid and benefit a small minority. EV technology is cool, but I am yet to be convinced that it is better than other technologies. Batteries have very low energy density and very high cost, making the vehicles heavier than they need be.

A mass move to EVs, killing off traditional vehicles, will almost certainly drive up the ownership and running costs of vehicles, potentially putting them out of the reach of some, and reducing our economic efficiency. We should be looking to find ways to cheaply mobilise everyone to get the most economic benefit out of the system and I don't think that EVs are the way forward for that.

That said, EVs will almost certainly reduce oil consumption and may even drive down oil prices in the medium term.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

seewood wrote:Kinda wondering how governments are going to make up the road tax they receive from gas/ diesel sales. Thought those taxes were an important revenue stream.

There is talk about a mileage tax for vehicles that are not powered by fossil fuels and also vehicles that get better mileage. This is probably the future of taxation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_m ... aveled_tax
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

As with all progressive ideas, Canada will be the last country to implement the VMT. There are just too darn many Cons and similar political parties (Liberals) in this country to get anything passed that would be fairer to everybody.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Cactusflower wrote:As with all progressive ideas, Canada will be the last country to implement the VMT. There are just too darn many Cons and similar political parties (Liberals) in this country to get anything passed that would be fairer to everybody.

Well if they don't move quickly then there will be a loss of revenue that the Govt's can't afford to lose. This alone will make it happen sooner rather than later. But time will tell.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Cactusflower wrote:As with all progressive ideas, Canada will be the last country to implement the VMT. There are just too darn many Cons and similar political parties (Liberals) in this country to get anything passed that would be fairer to everybody.

It depends what you consider fair. A simple VMT is quite unfair as it ignores many important factors. Is it fair to tax based on damage done to the roads (then take vehicle weight into account), environment (take vehicle efficiency into account), ability to pay (take income into account), etc.?

If the tax is to curb a behaviour, it must be carefully designed to target what matters, not what doesn't and if it is just for simple revenue generation, then just adding it to income tax and simplifying the tax code would be a better, more efficient solution.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Best overall choice of EV is a Fuel cell
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

You mean as with all stupid ideas. Anytime a Leftist starts talking about what's "fair", the poor always take it right up the hoop, and enviro-taxes implemented by people unable to understand the law of unintended consequences always end up screwing the poor.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

maryjane48 wrote:Two of the world's largest auto manufacturers — Ford and General Motors (GM) — made headlines this week by announcing a significant widening of their electric offerings in the near future, seen by many as emblematic as a broader industry move away from the gasoline engine.

But is B.C. ready for that change?

While electric vehicles are becoming increasingly popular in urban centres like Vancouver and Victoria, much of rural B.C. still has concerns.

Michelle Mungall, provincial energy minister and MLA for Nelson-Creston, says electric vehicles will be an important part of reducing B.C.'s carbon emissions. But she says her constituents have concerns about the adoption of new technology when their cars are such essential lifelines.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4331148

How exactly is an electric vehicle supposed to operate when it is 30 or 40 degrees below zero? How is it going to provide heat for the passengers without draining the batteries? Batteries are like people in that they too like balmy temperatures. SUb zero temperatures reduce battery efficiently dramatically. Electric vehicles would work ok in southern climates but not here in the north. My old VW Beetle with its air cooled engine used a gasoline heater to overcome this. Perhaps a better solution would be to build smaller and lighter and much more fuel efficient gasoline powered vehicles. Doing away with gas guzzling vehicles would be a good start. Transport trucks would require enormous battery banks and big heavy motors.
The dream of everyone driving electric vehicles sounds good but there are many challenges. I tthink a good start too would be for those who are against fossil fuels to lead by example and give up their vehicles altogether and start using
public transit and walking and cycling and stop flying and going on cruises etc. It has been said that one person can make a difference.Now is the time to make that didfference.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Mark5 wrote:. I think a good start too would be for those who are against fossil fuels to lead by example and give up their vehicles altogether and start using public transit and walking and cycling and stop flying and going on cruises etc. It has been said that one person can make a difference.Now is the time to make that difference.

Public transit is a joke and as long as it stays that way this would be impractical at best.
As far as giving up flying. cruising etc that won't happen either. What do you think all the retired people worked for their whole lives. To be able to travel and enjoy themselves not stay at home and vegetate.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Tried public transit - didn't work out. Too many places without sidewalks to make walking an option in most cases never mind all the people who can't make use of bicycles for various reasons. Flying is the only option to visit relatives so would never consider giving that up. Nope, love all my modes of transportation that get me to my destination faster, easier and in comfort as was intended.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

Bsuds wrote:
Mark5 wrote:. I think a good start too would be for those who are against fossil fuels to lead by example and give up their vehicles altogether and start using public transit and walking and cycling and stop flying and going on cruises etc. It has been said that one person can make a difference.Now is the time to make that difference.

Public transit is a joke and as long as it stays that way this would be impractical at best.
As far as giving up flying. cruising etc that won't happen either. What do you think all the retired people worked for their whole lives. To be able to travel and enjoy themselves not stay at home and vegetate.

Yes there`s the rub. Fossil fuels have given us so much that we all take for granted. It has freed the beasts of burden working the fields, given us medicines and plastics used in hospitals, given us wonderful modes of transportation, help put humans on the moon, allowed us to explore the solar system and beyond, make great advancements in science and health and technology, etc. To replace fossil fuels would will not be easy. But some people want us to give them up right away. ASAP.
So they can be the pioneers. Pioneers often struggle and sacrifice. They can fight for better public transit, they can walk and ride bicycles and use sailboats instead of powerboats, use animal parts instead of plastics like in the olden days, etc. Rather than scold us and mock us and belittle us and tax us for using fossil fuels and promoting their dreams of living without fossil fuels, they can sacrifice their lifestyles and use of fossil fuels and lead by example. Some people have done this already, living off the grid. If there were more people like this, more people willing to do this, it could reduce the demand for oil. We should not need the government to force us to do this. People have choices. It is time for these people to put their money where their mouth is. People like David Suzuki and Justin Trudeau would be a good start.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Mark5 wrote:People have choices. It is time for these people to put their money where their mouth is. People like David Suzuki and Justin Trudeau would be a good start.

As would a few I could name who preach on this board, yet don't practice anything they preach. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

There are options for urban use EVs that at the moment are not on the table in Canada.

We have a regulatory system that is set up around go fast gasoline vehicles. EVs for urban use don't need to go that fast. Max them at 90 kmh. Dump the silly air bags and install "no click no run" seat belts.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/07/autos/gm-china-electric-car/index.html

$14,000 without subsidies.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Mark5 wrote:How exactly is an electric vehicle supposed to operate when it is 30 or 40 degrees below zero? How is it going to provide heat for the passengers without draining the batteries? Batteries are like people in that they too like balmy temperatures. SUb zero temperatures reduce battery efficiently dramatically. Electric vehicles would work ok in southern climates but not here in the north.

25 minutes and the snow isn't even melted off and took 4% off its effective range of 286km to 275km.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”