Fortis to rent solar panels to citizens

Veovis
Guru

Re: Fortis to rent solar panels to citizens

Post by Veovis »

Cactusflower wrote:Why do alternative renewable energy deniers call futurists 'clueless fools'?

How many have you signed up to rent?......ya thought as much.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

I think you have to live in that area to rent one of their solar panels.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:Why do alternative renewable energy deniers

Otherwise known as "people who can do math". I do love how now everyone who doesn't fall into line with ever piece of insane dogma from the radical enviro-nut sect is a "denier" now. These people are so lazy they can't even come up with different catch phrases for those calling BS on them. So lame.

call futurists 'clueless fools'?

no more than those "futurists" who in the 1970's said video laser discs were the future of home video. At least that failure didn't cost taxpayers billions of dollars, and cause fuel poverty for millions of poor people.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Cactusflower wrote:I think you have to live in that area to rent one of their solar panels.

Any Fortis customer can get in on the deal.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Cactusflower wrote:I think you have to live in that area to rent one of their solar panels.

You did not think at all....you just typed. You should do less of the later and more of the former.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I still don't understand why we haven't seen the "everything is evil except for solar" crowd chiming in here that they have rented multiple panels already?

Do you not actually support the technology you rant about daily?

Or is it that you like faith and theory but not facts and dollars?
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Idealism doesn't pay the bills.

I like the idea but not the cost.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

For those who pay $200 a month for electricity... don't you want to pay $500 a month instead to save the world from renewable Hydro? I am sure it is all the NDP/Greens fault to scam everyone in to crap like this.

What did you say? You don't pay anything for electricity because you live in your moms basement? There is very little future for current day solar. It is inefficient, requires batteries, all of which require replacement after a short time period at an additional cost.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Jlabute wrote:Paying 2.5x the current rate per kWh is dumb. Obviously solar is not cheaper. Hydro is cheaper, more secure, more reliable, and renewable. Anyone here want to buy in? This is NDP/green stupidity. If residents want solar they should do it themselves. If they do not get a full compliment of buyers, I refuse to pony up the difference and would rather have it torn down.

since when is fortis part of the ndp ? [icon_lol2.gif] time to come back to reality. its the future you seem to want to ignore thsts coming.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maryjane48 wrote:since when is fortis part of the ndp ? [icon_lol2.gif] time to come back to reality. its the future you seem to want to ignore thsts coming.

that's what we were also told about VCR's.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I can find no way to make sense of your response to the quoted message.

As for Solar, yeah these panels aren’t cheap, so I doubt anyone is going to rent them. As for actually purchasing and installing solar panels, it’s a long term investment that could take a decade to pay off with the current rate of electricity and cost of panels. That said, the price of the panels decreases every year as they become more mass produced, and meanwhile the cost of electricity continues to rise every year. Soon there will be a point where it becomes cheaper. Already as we’re approaching that point, the solar industry has been booming. In the US 2016 saw a 95% growth over 2015. Worldwide saw a 50% growth.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

maryjane48 wrote:since when is fortis part of the ndp ? [icon_lol2.gif] time to come back to reality. its the future you seem to want to ignore thsts coming.

So how many have you rented, as you said it's going to happen, so?.......

none? really? Oh right it's because once again convictions do not equal actions.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Omnitheo wrote:I can find no way to make sense of your response to the quoted message.

If this was directed at me, let me just say in response "why would this post be any different".

Essentially, we have a few Big Green Kool-aid slurpers who are trying to sell the blarney that solar is "the future". So were VCR's at one point, until they were replaced by much better cheaper technology. Solar panels have already had their day in the sun, and have been found wanting. I realize there is this dream from the Left that somehow, utilizing unicorn farts and fairy dust, solar will one day be "cheaper" than sources like hydro, but it will never ever happen. Solar panels are a VCR. Already obsolete.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

There are only two affordable and reliable sources of renewable energy for the BC grid context at the moment. Hydroelectric and biomass, and biomass is marginal.

The third one is geothermal - but BC has very little hydrothermal (the proven technology) and a lot of potential for Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS). Unfortunately EGS is still experimental and beset with problems of induced seismicity and is probably 15-20 years from becoming truly viable technology (if at all).

Wind and solar are intermittent sources that can only function with direct and indirect subsidies that drive costs through the roof. Just ask Ontario. Wind only gives you 38% of its rated capacity at best, and rarely when you need it. Solar in BC is going to typically give you 11-12% of its rated capacity, and only sometimes when you need it.

Those real capacity factors make solar suck the most, and wind isn't far behind. You don't turn your lights on, cook dinner, and crank up the heat when you are work all day, then when you get home - pfft - the sun goes down just when you want power. Stupid. But Elon Musk and crew make a fortune out of sucking in the gullible, because then they get so sell them batteries (those aren't just batteries, that's a Power Wall - great marketing for the gullible!). Ever notice how often you have to replace batteries??

Solar and wind in a grid situation are junk power. Snake oil sold to the gullible who don't know a watt from an ohm.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”