Family Day

Should Family Day move to the third Monday in February?

Family Day should remain as the second Monday in February
52%
Family Day should be moved to the third Monday in February
48%

Total votes: 61

techrtr
Übergod

Re: Family Day

Post by techrtr »

Glad they're switching it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

What the heck. Let's have a holiday on both Mondays!
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

How bout every Monday?
Y-Wine
Fledgling

Post by Y-Wine »

marooned wrote:Only the truly short-sighted would keep BC families and friends out of step with their counterparts in other provinces for another few percentage points on occupancy at the ski hill. Selfish to the extreme.

Short sighted and narrow minded people usually react. Because they where to slow to think the whole picture thru.
How many of you had family at Christmas when everyone is suppose to be with family?
How many of you will have a family get together at Easter/Spring Break?

To me only STUPID people would bundle their kids up and put them in vehicle and drive over 4 of the worst winter roads in North America to proclaim their love to be with their family. And you can't wait for 4 months to see your precious Family with Skype/instagram/twitter/and and and to fulfill your longing for Mommy and Daddy???

I for one enjoy my BC space and Quiet without the hordes of out of towners pushing shoving and generally rude, as they are trying to squeeze in everything on their precious 1 day off. Oh I forgot!! You had to make it a 4 day weekend to allow for the 2 days of travel. Sorry Mr. Employer, I need an extra (sick cough cough) day off.
Think of the space for you at the Ski Hill/Hot Springs/Mall/Parks/Hotels/ snowmobile trails and other venues that would make for a relaxing weekend and then the following weekend the tourists can have it all.
Ask yourself. Who is the selfish one?
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Re: Urbane's quote earlier in this post :

"Now that it's been running for a few years people have either changed their minds or perhaps the majority never bothered to vote in the online poll. Or a combination of both. "

Plus let's not forget the number of Albertans that have relocated here in the last few years. Could be a contributing factor too.
justice4U

Post by justice4U »

This has to rank as one of the stupidest things things this "2nd choice" gpvernment has done (Christie was the choice of voters in the last election, but the people's choice was forced to concede when the opposition ganged up on her - such is politics, I suppose).

Anyway, back to Family Day. The rationale for the change is so BC families can get together with other family members from other Provinces!! Are you kidding me? People are going to travel to or from OTHER Provinces for ONE day? That is absurd!

If any actually do, we can change the name of the holiday altogether. We can call it 'Travel Day'.
tarasbulba
Fledgling

Post by tarasbulba »

I think it will be a bad move, I mean it's only one day, most people in Alberta don't come here for 3 day, do they. But it's one day for the people of BC, what has that got to do with everyone else,I mean , really, spring break is just around the corner. It's nice to have BC days without tourist taking over and enjoying a day with family. I beleive the underlining thing is business, like he said,when all the other provinces are off, we can't do business cause their closed and vice versa, changes are always about money but they use other examples to please the people and never tell the true story
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

it was nice that family day was on this weekend instead of nextweek because it should be for BCers anyways...it was nice to take a day trip to Wash state and everything was open...but that weekend that it changes to aligns with their holiday and most things will be closed...dumb to move...Thanks NDP...changing what the voters actually voted for.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Horgan's an idiot. This is a direct attack on the tourism industry in this province. Between this and his moronic idea of jacking minimum wage rates, the employment losses in this sector will hit some of the least financial stable in our society, hard. Why do Horgan and the NDP hate poor people so much?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I wrote that in NDP Govt thread, that this was a dumb move and now what are already pressures on limited hotel rooms and restaurant spaces are now doubled.

I hate it when we agree GF, even especially when you write in much more incendiary style. :-X
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Having family both in and out of Province I like the idea that family day is all on the same weekend.

It's easier to arrange a trip somewhere if everyone is off work at the same time. By all having the same Monday off, if we want to tag on an extra 4 days and all meet somewhere like Mexico together, each family member now only needs to use 4 vacation days to do so.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

wow a lot of upset folks about moving this holiday. Or is it just a good excuse to let out some frustrations about Horgan and the NDP?
Personally I could care less what day it falls on. If they're gonna come from out of province they're gonna come, regardless, this weekend or next. Micheal J will still sell the same amount of lift tickets. Either all on one weekend or split between 2 weekends.
Anyway, sit back relax and have yourself a beer, its the long weekend, enjoy it :130:
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.

Return to “B.C.”