Family Day

Should Family Day move to the third Monday in February?

Family Day should remain as the second Monday in February
52%
Family Day should be moved to the third Monday in February
48%

Total votes: 61

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Family Day

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:The online poll was a sham.
Nothing wrong in the poll and certainly wasn't a sham. The question was pointed and all residents could vote. Did you?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:So that's why we have the holiday on the second weekend instead of the third weekend like everyone else.

Speculation. People voted on it and I'm one of the ones that didn't.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Did they? All I saw was a link to the ski hill operators.

So never did check out the poll when it was available?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

gordon_as wrote: Oct. 2017 : As much as I believe the CWSAA pressured Ms. Clark into choosing the date she did , I honestly think there are much larger issues lingering from the Liberal years that our new government :biggrin: should be focusing on.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

So Michael J up at Big White is upset is he? Boo hoo Michael, the hill will be full anyway so stop whining.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#218567
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

Poor Michael at big white.... What he should have said was " The mountain will be full , but this will help send some of the customers to stay in the hotels in Kelowna... share the tourists."

He is a prick.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Only the truly short-sighted would keep BC families and friends out of step with their counterparts in other provinces for another few percentage points on occupancy at the ski hill. Selfish to the extreme.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I don't care when Family Day is but I do think that Christy Clark deserves credit for establishing the holiday. People were consulted re which weekend it should be and the online poll showed that most people wanted the second weekend in February. Now that it's been running for a few years people have either changed their minds or perhaps the majority never bothered to vote in the online poll. Or a combination of both. Anyway, we have the holiday now and it's easy to switch the day.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Urbane wrote:I don't care when Family Day is but I do think that Christy Clark deserves credit for establishing the holiday. People were consulted re which weekend it should be and the online poll showed that most people wanted the second weekend in February. Now that it's been running for a few years people have either changed their minds or perhaps the majority never bothered to vote in the online poll. Or a combination of both. Anyway, we have the holiday now and it's easy to switch the day.

Yes it's great Christy got us another day off.....now, how do we go about getting one in June lol?! I think that since min wage is going up to $15.20 we probably won't see any push to get another paid day off though! Don't I sound like a greedy-guts?

Well, even worse is that what I want, what I really, really want, is for the government to change the 3 week max paid vacation time after 5 years, to 4 weeks, like it is in Saskatchewan.

Then I'd like them to ditch daylight savings time because it's just a big pain.

End of my wish list - I will be okey-dokey with those changes, thanks!
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Three grown daughters. Each with kids. One on Vancouver island, one in the Okanagan, one in Alberta.

"let's all get together back home on the Family Day weekend". And then they discovered a few years ago that Family Day was on different weekends in Alberta and BC. Because the greedy ski resort owners wanted it that way. Thankfully, it will be changed to be on the same weekend.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Urbane wrote: perhaps the majority never bothered to vote in the online poll.

I can agree with you on that.

Anyway, we have the holiday now and it's easy to switch the day.

Not sure where you stand on that. Yes it's easy to switch the day , but should we ?
Maybe there should be another online poll. I know CWSAA folks would vote to keep it as is , I'm not sure how the general public would vote. As I pointed out in October , I don't think this is one of the major problems that the NDP should be trying to work on at this time.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I’m not a fan of Premier Horgan, but this is a great move.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Meh,

Does not really matter which day, just happy to get one off.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

gordon_as wrote:
    Urbane wrote: perhaps the majority never bothered to vote in the online poll.

I can agree with you on that.

Anyway, we have the holiday now and it's easy to switch the day.

Not sure where you stand on that. Yes it's easy to switch the day , but should we ?
    Maybe there should be another online poll. I know CWSAA folks would vote to keep it as is , I'm not sure how the general public would vote. As I pointed out in October , I don't think this is one of the major problems that the NDP should be trying to work on at this time.

I saw one poll that showed 71% in favour of switching the day and only 13% opposed. Again, it doesn't matter one little bit to me.

Return to “B.C.”