Family Day

Should Family Day move to the third Monday in February?

Family Day should remain as the second Monday in February
52%
Family Day should be moved to the third Monday in February
48%

Total votes: 61

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Family Day

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:B.C.'s Family Day was chosen to occur one week before all other provinces' Family Day because the tourism industry wanted to 'double dip',
Where did you get that false idea after all the information provided earlier? The public voted on it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:B.C.'s Family Day was chosen to occur one week before all other provinces' Family Day because the tourism industry wanted to 'double dip', and because the governing party in 2012, when that date was chosen, is industry-friendly rather than people-friendly.

Personally, it makes no difference to me what weekend it falls on because to me it's just another reason to mark it on my calendar. The P.O., library, bank, and other public services I might have been planning to use that day will be closed.
Incorrect. There was no Family Day before the Liberals introduced the holiday and the government solicited public opinion by way of an online poll to determine which Monday would be selected. The results of the poll were clear and the government selected the second Monday. If public opinion has changed, and I think it has, then it's easy to move the holiday to the third Monday in February. Like you I don't care. What I do care about is your false narrative which I've once again corrected.

Perhaps the other provinces don't call it 'Family Day', but they have had statutory holidays on the 3rd weekend in February since before B.C.'s Family Day,, so you are just splitting hairs again.

I'd like to know what percentage of British Columbians actually voted in that poll. I know I didn't because it wasn't important to me.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Islander Day Third Monday in February PEI
Family Day Third Monday in February (2nd in BC) BC, AB, SK, ON
Louis Riel Day Third Monday in February MB
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps the other provinces don't call it 'Family Day', but they have had statutory holidays on the 3rd weekend in February since before B.C.'s Family Day,, so you are just splitting hairs again.

I'd like to know what percentage of British Columbians actually voted in that poll. I know I didn't because it wasn't important to me.

So then, why are you so vehemently writing about it today, if is not important to you?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:I'd like to know what percentage of British Columbians actually voted in that poll. I know I didn't because it wasn't important to me.

The numbers have been posted. Should be easy to figure out.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Population of BC little over 4.6 million, those who voted 31,000+

Hmm... appeared not to be very important which day was picked
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:
    Perhaps the other provinces don't call it 'Family Day', but they have had statutory holidays on the 3rd weekend in February since before B.C.'s Family Day,, so you are just splitting hairs again.

Other provinces had Family Day type holidays but BC didn't have one until the Liberal government brought it in. Despite your narrative, your false narrative, many in the business community weren't thrilled with the idea of a new holiday. As for the vote percentage I'd say that about 100% of those who wanted to vote did vote. Probably most people, like you and I CF, didn't really care which Monday it was. Although in my case I did vote. Most people were just happy to have the holiday.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps the other provinces don't call it 'Family Day', but they have had statutory holidays on the 3rd weekend in February since before B.C.'s Family Day,, so you are just splitting hairs again.
No one said anything about what other provinces called it - no splitting hairs here. The point was BC didn't have a holiday period before the Liberals introduced it.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

GordonH wrote:Population of BC little over 4.6 million, those who voted 31,000+

Hmm... appeared not to be very important which day was picked

Exactly. So why didn't the government pick the same week that all the other provinces celebrate the statutory holiday?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Exactly. So why didn't the government pick the same week that all the other provinces celebrate the statutory holiday?
You know that sounds weird considering the government went with the poll as you know.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Now that I'm retired and every day is a "holiday" it no longer matters to me which day of Feb family falls on. BUT when I was working, and wanting to spend time with my "out of province" adult children, the day of the month mattered a great deal.

I can also understand the argument that having a different day than the rest of the Provinces, presents difficulties to those running a business that deals with those other Provinces.

And as it would appear that the only folks in favour of keeping the status quo (2nd week of Feb) are the skiers, and ski hill owners, who represent a minority when compared with all other BC citizens, I think the date should be changed to bring us in line with the rest of North America.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

As long as the ski industry makes money on the 2nd Monday in February who gives a damn if it inconveniences families. I'm sure skiers in Ontario would jump at the chance to shell out $1,200+ per person to ski BC on their Family Day long weekend.

<snip>“BC Family Day has proven to be a huge success on the 2nd Monday in February. British Columbians are able to enjoy BC ski resorts, and other BC tourism experiences, without competing with holiday travellers from other provinces and the USA. This maximizes the quality of Family Day experiences, and revenues for the tourism industry, which drives incremental tax revenues for the province,” said David Lynn, President and CEO of CWSAA.>snip>

https://www.skicanada.org/bc-ski-indust ... amily-day/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Fancy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Exactly. So why didn't the government pick the same week that all the other provinces celebrate the statutory holiday?
You know that sounds weird considering the government went with the poll as you know.

Perhaps the poll should have read: "Do you use B.C. ski hills? Yes or No".

https://www.skicanada.org/bc-ski-indust ... amily-day/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps the poll should have read: "Do you use B.C. ski hills? Yes or No".
??? The poll asked which Monday people wanted.

Return to “B.C.”