Family Day

Should Family Day move to the third Monday in February?

Family Day should remain as the second Monday in February
52%
Family Day should be moved to the third Monday in February
48%

Total votes: 61

Walking Wounded
Übergod

Re: Family Day

Post by Walking Wounded »

People keep complaining they can't get together with family because the holidays are not on the same day. What about the other 10 or 11 holidays we have throughout the year that are all on the same days in all provinces? I like having a long weekend without line ups and extra traffic everywhere. Besides the last day of a long weekend is usually spent traveling home anyway, so if your family comes from Alberta on Friday night and leaves on Monday you miss a few hours together at most, then you can go to Alberta and do the same the next week. That way you actually get to spend four days instead of three days with your family.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Truly amazing the first world problems people find to whine and complain about.

Carry on. :130:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2012/05/2 ... b-11-2013/

Interesting to note some business owners didn't want the holiday - I remember it was the topic of the day when it was suggested.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Interesting how ever since the holiday was added that people have complained about it, and that there have been numerous threads about moving it. Seems finally this year people are against moving the holiday. I wonder what hanged?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://engage.gov.bc.ca/govtogetherbc/i ... y-results/
The government should give the public plenty of notice as I presume there are a lot of families that have plans already.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Anything that will annoy that loud mouthed schmuck Michael J. Ballingall is good with me. Actually, I don't care when it is but it makes sense to align it with Alberta, Saskatchewan et al.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

oneh2obabe wrote:Try doing business with companies in other provinces when your stat days don't coincide - PITA to say the least.

This is exactly the reason why it should be changed. If you do business across the country, you can't take BC Family Day off. And then when the rest of the country takes their Family Day, you also can't take that day off because the companies you work with in BC are all working... but it makes for a very quiet and unproductive day.

This affects a lot of industries. The only reason I can see for it being set on a different day is to satisfy the ski hills... it's a huge PITA for many of the rest of us and results in no day off.

This is one of the few things I fully support the NDP on. It's a great idea to move it.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

More problems created for families trying to align short vacations with other parts of the country and countless business's that have to be open because the rest of the country is working. ABSOLUTELY move it to the 3rd weekend of the month. Could not believe that the 2nd week was chosen..........but then again, B.C. being as dysfunctional as it is it came as no surprise. A B.C. holiday that has "patronage" written all over it to satisfy a few greed infested business owners........... :cuss: them!
Last edited by lesliepaul on Oct 26th, 2017, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sounds like a lot of posters didn't bother to vote in the original poll.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lesliepaul wrote:More problems created for families trying to align short vacations with other parts of the country and countless business's that have to be open because the rest of the country is working. ABSOLUTELY move it to the 3rd weekend of the month. Could not believe that the 2nd week was chosen..........but then again, B.C. being as dysfunctional as it is it came as no surprise. A B.C. holiday that has "patronage" written all over it to satisfy a few greed infested business owners........... :cuss: them!
The government announced a two-week consultation process and invited people to vote in the online poll. Those wanting the second Monday in February were in the majority so what should the government have done? Not consulted at all? Ignore the results of the online poll and do the opposite? I have a feeling that sentiment has perhaps changed and maybe a majority want to see the date changed and if so that's fine with me. I really don't care but I've seen no evidence that the government somehow fixed the online poll results. And good on the government for bringing in the Family Day holiday.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Urbane wrote:The government announced a two-week consultation process and invited people to vote in the online poll. Those wanting the second Monday in February were in the majority so what should the government have done? Not consulted at all? Ignore the results of the online poll and do the opposite? I have a feeling that sentiment has perhaps changed and maybe a majority want to see the date changed and if so that's fine with me. I really don't care but I've seen no evidence that the government somehow fixed the online poll results. And good on the government for bringing in the Family Day holiday.

Agreed.

Personally I couldn't care less one way or the other as I don't get the Family Day stat no matter which day they make it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lesliepaul wrote: A B.C. holiday that has "patronage" written all over it to satisfy a few greed infested business owners........... :cuss: them!
Superintendents of schools aren't greed infested business owners.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

It’s been pointed out in every thread. We probably have 3 or 4 of these threads now about family day, with people complaining,

The government did the right thing with the poll, and there were good arguments for both cases. Tourism is one of BC’s largest industries, and if we can take advantage of albertans and British Columbians on separate weekends, it makes sense. Rather than having no vacancy one busy weekend, and the next weekend everything goes back to status quo.

On the other hand, businesses that deal outside of the province certainly feel the pressure. Having to staff on the holiday to accommodate the rest of Canada. As well as families with members split across the border.

It’s certainly a trade off. But I wouldn’t just change it. If Horgan feels there’s enough demand for it to be changed, they should first have another poll. British Columbians have had a few years to see it now and make a more informed decision. It’s certainly possible the result could change, and those vocal about it who didn’t participate in the last poll might be more inclined now to voice their opinions.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I voted and sent messages to my MLA... but apparently I was outvoted and out-messaged. I have again already sent my feelings to my MLA. I urge everyone who feels similarly to do the same... it takes no more effort than posting in this thread.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

This Family Day topic is much like the Louis CK bit about "Everything being amazing and nobody is happy".

Louis CK wrote:I was on an airplane and there was high speed internet on the airplane… it’s fast, I’m watching YouTube clips, I’m on an airplane. It breaks down, they apologize, and the guy next to me is like “This is bull…”

Like how quickly the world owes him something he knew existed only 10 seconds ago?

Just a few years ago there was no Family Day holiday at all.... now we have a holiday (most, not all) and now people complain that it's not on the "right" day. Yup, first world problems indeed. :130:

Return to “B.C.”