47957

Family Day

Should Family Day move to the third Monday in February?

Family Day should remain as the second Monday in February
23
53%
Family Day should be moved to the third Monday in February
20
47%
 
Total votes : 43

Re: Family Day

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Merry wrote:Now that I'm retired and every day is a "holiday" it no longer matters to me which day of Feb family falls on. BUT when I was working, and wanting to spend time with my "out of province" adult children, the day of the month mattered a great deal.

I can also understand the argument that having a different day than the rest of the Provinces, presents difficulties to those running a business that deals with those other Provinces.

And as it would appear that the only folks in favour of keeping the status quo (2nd week of Feb) are the skiers, and ski hill owners, who represent a minority when compared with all other BC citizens, I think the date should be changed to bring us in line with the rest of North America.


There is another benefit to having the holiday staggered from the others is that: They have an extra day to travel to and from here and still be here for our weekend time together. The same principle goes for when we travel to other locations. We/they get the maximum benefit of a full 2 days of visitation without travel times cutting into that time together with our families.

As an example, the July 1 holiday for Canada and the July 4 holiday for the Americans. They will come here on July 4 and us Canadians will go there for July 1.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 774
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 435 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby Urbane » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:24 pm

To review: There was no Family Day in the this province until five years ago when the government established one. To decide which Monday to use for the holiday the government provided an online poll for people to vote. The result showed that most preferred the second Monday in February.

It almost seems as if some people were happier when we had no holiday in February. I do see the arguments in favour of both the second Monday and the third Monday and I do believe the majority prefer the third Monday. If that's the case it's an easy switch.

Merry likes this post.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19857
Likes: 6711 posts
Liked in: 8049 posts
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 6:41 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Fancy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps the poll should have read: "Do you use B.C. ski hills? Yes or No".
??? The poll asked which Monday people wanted.


All right, I'll spell it out for you. A lot of people didn't realize at the time the on-line poll came out that it was going to impact them negatively if the holiday didn't coincide with the February holiday in the rest of Canada, so unless they were avid skiers or snowboarders, they didn't bother to vote. They were just happy to have a holiday between New Years and Easter.

Since then, they have found out that is does impact them negatively, and this year is the first time they have a government who will actually listen to them. Hence this story.

Merry likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby Fancy » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Cactusflower wrote:All right, I'll spell it out for you. A lot of people didn't realize at the time the on-line poll came out that it was going to impact them negatively if the holiday didn't coincide with the February holiday in the rest of Canada, so unless they were avid skiers or snowboarders, they didn't bother to vote. They were just happy to have a holiday between New Years and Easter.

Since then, they have found out that is does impact them negatively, and this year is the first time they have a government who will actually listen to them. Hence this story.

For people that never had the holiday before, I can't see how it negatively affects anyone. It's actually a win for those that travel as they have the extra day to do so. Since you can't speak for anyone but yourself, I doubt everyone that voted were skiers or snowboarders. Business owners and school administrators voiced their opinion.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43029
Likes: 933 posts
Liked in: 4832 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Fancy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:All right, I'll spell it out for you. A lot of people didn't realize at the time the on-line poll came out that it was going to impact them negatively if the holiday didn't coincide with the February holiday in the rest of Canada, so unless they were avid skiers or snowboarders, they didn't bother to vote. They were just happy to have a holiday between New Years and Easter.

Since then, they have found out that is does impact them negatively, and this year is the first time they have a government who will actually listen to them. Hence this story.

For people that never had the holiday before, I can't see how it negatively affects anyone. It's actually a win for those that travel as they have the extra day to do so. Since you can't speak for anyone but yourself, I doubt everyone that voted were skiers or snowboarders. Business owners and school administrators voiced their opinion.


Did they? All I saw was a link to the ski hill operators.

Merry likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby Fancy » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Did they? All I saw was a link to the ski hill operators.

That doesn't make sense considering what I've posted. Did you even see the poll I'm talking about? Maybe try reading the whole thread.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43029
Likes: 933 posts
Liked in: 4832 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:56 pm

To summarize:
Nobody cared about what day it was, so long as they got another "day off with pay". And it didn't matter what political party gave it to them.(Liberal)
The people of BC were happy with the extra day off and many didn't care what day off it was, so long as they get paid for that day off. Everybody happy.
That day off has been in effect for (How many years now?), and nobody complained.
Now that the NDP is in power, and wants to change that day to a different day, in the same month.....It is a problem.
The pro NDP supporters say this is a better day and that the Liberal's holiday is bad for BC.

The pro NDPers are now rallying around together to make this change because they don't like anything the Liberal government has accomplished in the past.
After all, if it was a Liberal benefit to the people, it must automatically be a bad one.

Just like Site C and the BC Ferries' decisions.

Is that a fair synopsis of the NDP supporters' opinion?

3 people like this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 774
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 435 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 9th, 2017, 3:37 pm

alanjh595 wrote:To summarize:
Nobody cared about what day it was, so long as they got another "day off with pay". And it didn't matter what political party gave it to them.(Liberal)
The people of BC were happy with the extra day off and many didn't care what day off it was, so long as they get paid for that day off. Everybody happy.
That day off has been in effect for (How many years now?), and nobody complained.
Now that the NDP is in power, and wants to change that day to a different day, in the same month.....It is a problem.
The pro NDP supporters say this is a better day and that the Liberal's holiday is bad for BC.

The pro NDPers are now rallying around together to make this change because they don't like anything the Liberal government has accomplished in the past.
After all, if it was a Liberal benefit to the people, it must automatically be a bad one.

Just like Site C and the BC Ferries' decisions.

Is that a fair synopsis of the NDP supporters' opinion?


No. The government doesn't care which day it falls on. In fact, they would probably collect more taxes if it was left the way it is. It's the majority of British Columbians that want it changed.

Merry likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby Fancy » Nov 9th, 2017, 3:47 pm

Cactusflower wrote:It's the majority of British Columbians that want it changed.
I disagree - the majority aren't voicing an opinion.

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43029
Likes: 933 posts
Liked in: 4832 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby mikest2 » Nov 9th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:To summarize:
Nobody cared about what day it was, so long as they got another "day off with pay". And it didn't matter what political party gave it to them.(Liberal)
The people of BC were happy with the extra day off and many didn't care what day off it was, so long as they get paid for that day off. Everybody happy.
That day off has been in effect for (How many years now?), and nobody complained.
Now that the NDP is in power, and wants to change that day to a different day, in the same month.....It is a problem.
The pro NDP supporters say this is a better day and that the Liberal's holiday is bad for BC.

The pro NDPers are now rallying around together to make this change because they don't like anything the Liberal government has accomplished in the past.
After all, if it was a Liberal benefit to the people, it must automatically be a bad one.

Just like Site C and the BC Ferries' decisions.



Is that a fair synopsis of the NDP supporters' opinion?


No. The government doesn't care which day it falls on. In fact, they would probably collect more taxes if it was left the way it is. It's the majority of British Columbians that want it changed.


Try to remember there was a poll, the date was decided that way, so what if 50% of the population didn't vote for it, the current government didn't get 50% either !
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Board Meister
 
Posts: 687
Likes: 410 posts
Liked in: 776 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 9th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Cactusflower wrote:No. The government doesn't care which day it falls on. In fact, they would probably collect more taxes if it was left the way it is. It's the majority of British Columbians that want it changed.


Do you have some sort of poll or evidence from a credible source to substantiate that opinion?
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 774
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 435 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby oneh2obabe » Nov 9th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Cactusflower wrote:No. The government doesn't care which day it falls on. In fact, they would probably collect more taxes if it was left the way it is. It's the majority of British Columbians that want it changed.

If the government doesn't care which day it falls on, why is Horgan contemplating changing the date?

<snip>B.C. Premier John Horgan is looking into changing the Family Day holiday to align with other provinces.

The premier's office says Horgan has long held the position that the February holiday should be changed.

"It's been his view for a long time that we should be in alignment with other provinces and we're determining how quickly we can get that done," read a statement from his office.<snip>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4365709
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
oneh2obabe
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 49582
Likes: 401 posts
Liked in: 4829 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 8:19 am

Re: Family Day

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 9th, 2017, 9:12 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:No. The government doesn't care which day it falls on. In fact, they would probably collect more taxes if it was left the way it is. It's the majority of British Columbians that want it changed.

If the government doesn't care which day it falls on, why is Horgan contemplating changing the date?

<snip>B.C. Premier John Horgan is looking into changing the Family Day holiday to align with other provinces.

The premier's office says Horgan has long held the position that the February holiday should be changed.

"It's been his view for a long time that we should be in alignment with other provinces and we're determining how quickly we can get that done," read a statement from his office.<snip>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4365709


It's been Horgan's view for a long time because he's been receiving calls and e-mails from constituents that want it changed.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby mikest2 » Nov 9th, 2017, 9:32 pm

We could save a lot of money by just adding the question to the PR referendum, actually there are a few other questions that I think should be added to the referendum, but that'll be a whole other thread !
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Board Meister
 
Posts: 687
Likes: 410 posts
Liked in: 776 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Re: Family Day

Postby Fancy » Nov 9th, 2017, 11:18 pm

Cactusflower wrote:No. The government doesn't care which day it falls on.

Considering it's a priority, I would say the government does care.
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43029
Likes: 933 posts
Liked in: 4832 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mikest2, The Green Barbarian and 11 guests