Time

What should we do with standard and daylight time?

Maintain the current system
28%
Stay on standard time the whole year
33%
Stay on daylight time the whole year
39%

Total votes: 46

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Time

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Time4t wrote:"Time" has long since passed to ditch the archaic practice. There is no such thing as extra daylight, our perceptions, and obsession with time management is the issue. The change cycles are well established to cause more problems than they are worth. Perhaps our respected new trial premier would be so kind as to remove one more nuisance from the mix.

"trial premier" = priceless [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

Here's to hoping the trial expires soon. :130:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The last post on this forum was a while ago, but there seems to be some news.

MLA (Liberal) Linda Larson (Boundary-Similkameen) has tabled a private member's bill in support of ending Daylight Savings Time (DST)

Typical of incomplete thinking, she only addresses the question as though there are only two options.

(IT DRIVES ME CRAZY !!!!!!)

Keep the system we have (Spring ahead, Fall back), or Remain on PST year round.

The media certainly never help ! They are just as bad ...... every BLOODY POLL...... only two options.

In the Castanet story telling us about the pending private member's bill ...
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213315
....there is a link to a radio station, "News 1130", which talks about our premier being against abolishing DST and asking British Columbians to email him.

Contained in that story is a poll by the radio station.

You guessed it !

Should BC end Daylight Saving Time ?
    - Yes
    - No
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

my5cents wrote:The last post on this forum was a while ago, but there seems to be some news.

MLA (Liberal) Linda Larson (Boundary-Similkameen) has tabled a private member's bill in support of ending Daylight Savings Time (DST)

Typical of incomplete thinking, she only addresses the question as though there are only two options.

(IT DRIVES ME CRAZY !!!!!!)

Keep the system we have (Spring ahead, Fall back), or Remain on PST year round.

The media certainly never help ! They are just as bad ...... every BLOODY POLL...... only two options.

In the Castanet story telling us about the pending private member's bill ...
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213315
....there is a link to a radio station, "News 1130", which talks about our premier being against abolishing DST and asking British Columbians to email him.

Contained in that story is a poll by the radio station.

You guessed it !

Should BC end Daylight Saving Time ?
    - Yes
    - No

Linda Larson, like most BC Liberal MLAs, has nothing important to complain about, hence her ridiculous DST bill. Horgan says if British Columbians want to change the status quo they should e-mail him at '[email protected]'. I wouldn't be in a big rush to do that though. The man has much bigger fish to fry at the moment.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Cactusflower wrote:Linda Larson, like most BC Liberal MLAs, has nothing important to complain about, hence her ridiculous DST bill. Horgan says if British Columbians want to change the status quo they should e-mail him at '[email protected]'. I wouldn't be in a big rush to do that though. The man has much bigger fish to fry at the moment.

My basic point is that here is someone else, not appreciating that there are THREE options. And it seems the one that is generally not mentioned is the most popular.

With the exception of the poll attached to this forum topic, I haven't seen a poll that present the three options.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

only one option appeals

Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

my5cents wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Linda Larson, like most BC Liberal MLAs, has nothing important to complain about, hence her ridiculous DST bill. Horgan says if British Columbians want to change the status quo they should e-mail him at '[email protected]'. I wouldn't be in a big rush to do that though. The man has much bigger fish to fry at the moment.

My basic point is that here is someone else, not appreciating that there are THREE options. And it seems the one that is generally not mentioned is the most popular.

With the exception of the poll attached to this forum topic, I haven't seen a poll that present the three options.

Yes, I got your point and I agree. I'm one of the people who voted for DST year round. But, as reported in your link, the government wants people to e-mail the Premier and tell him their preference.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Cactusflower wrote:Yes, I got your point and I agree. I'm one of the people who voted for DST year round. But, as reported in your link, the government wants people to e-mail the Premier and tell him their preference.

I did as well (Vote for DST year round)

My point was that in the same article, the station has a poll with only two options. Leaves me with the impression that the media either purposely (I can't see why) or through ignorance (get's my vote), doesn't present the three options.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Any old electronics with fixed time zones and auto daylight time changes will be made obsolete if they can't be updated.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 7th, 2017, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 7th, 2017, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to off topic post.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

LordEd wrote:Any old electronics with fixed time zones and auto daylight time changes will be made obsolete if they can't be updated.

This effectively already happened 10 years ago when we adjusted the DST dates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005), when far more electronics had hard coded DST and TZ stuff. I doubt there is much out there of consequence which cannot be adjusted, though some older phones and such may be problematic. I suspect this would be a minor inconvenience at worst.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Verum wrote:
LordEd wrote:Any old electronics with fixed time zones and auto daylight time changes will be made obsolete if they can't be updated.

This effectively already happened 10 years ago when we adjusted the DST dates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005), when far more electronics had hard coded DST and TZ stuff. I doubt there is much out there of consequence which cannot be adjusted, though some older phones and such may be problematic. I suspect this would be a minor inconvenience at worst.

Every time change i have to reset about 8 different clocks and timer devices. Im sick of it. It is compicated and time consuming. Im all for staying on standard time as sask already does
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Every time change i have to reset about 8 different clocks and timer devices. Im sick of it. It is compicated and time consuming. Im all for staying on standard time as sask already does

What are you complaining about? Whenever we switch to PST, you get an extra hour to reset all your clocks. It's also a reminder to check all of your smoke detectors. :smt045
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

my5cents wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Yes, I got your point and I agree. I'm one of the people who voted for DST year round. But, as reported in your link, the government wants people to e-mail the Premier and tell him their preference.

I did as well (Vote for DST year round)

My point was that in the same article, the station has a poll with only two options. Leaves me with the impression that the media either purposely (I can't see why) or through ignorance (get's my vote), doesn't present the three options.

We must take the media with a grain of salt whether they're reporting on the time change debate or anything else. They're the same people who call the critics' opinion of Bill Morneau's latest bungle "character assassination".
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Personally I'd prefer year round DST simply because of the summertime, since this is very low on my priority list of things to do. I go whatever
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”