Time

What should we do with standard and daylight time?

Maintain the current system
28%
Stay on standard time the whole year
33%
Stay on daylight time the whole year
39%

Total votes: 46

Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Re: Time

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ Great article!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I gave it a lot of thought and have decided that I lean more toward having year round Standard Time than year round Daylight Saving Time.

My reasons are as follows:

DST is what we have in the summer, and Standard Time is what we have in the winter. So, if we stay on Standard Time year round that means that in the summer we won't "spring ahead" and 7am will not become 8 am. And 10 pm would not become 11 pm. So, in other words it would become lighter earlier in the morning, and go dark earlier at night. I wouldn't mind it going dark earlier at night, because I like dark evenings to sit round the campfire, or even round my firetable on my patio. It seems nicer when it's dark. And although I'm not raving about earlier morning daylight, the summer daylight already comes before I get up so it wouldn't be all that different. Winter times would remain as they are now.

Alternatively, if we went with DST all year round, summer would be as it is now but in winter what is now 8 am in winter would become 9 am (which would give us darker mornings) but we'd get an extra hour of daylight in the evenings in late Nov and early Dec. Which is fine with me, because I don't like driving back from the Mall in the dark (senior night vision issues). However, as I don't like getting out of bed in the dark, and the time when it goes dark shortly after 4 pm is only for a short period, I think I'd prefer to leave our Winters on Standard Time.

This is what happened in Russia when they tried going with DST all year round
Russia instituted year-round daylight saving time in 2011, or permanent "summer time," which seemed dandy at first. But in the depths of winter, sunrise occurred at 10 a.m. in Moscow and 11 a.m. in St. Petersburg, Prerau, author of "Seize the Daylight: The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time," said. This meant Russians had to start their days in the cold, pitch-dark. The permanent summer is coming to an end, however, as now Russian president Vladimir Putin abolished DST in 2014, according to BBC News. As such, the country will remain in "winter time" forever, or until another law is passed.

https://www.livescience.com/56048-dayli ... guide.html

So, taking everything into consideration, I think having year round Standard (Winter) time would work the best.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 26th, 2017, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Jx3 wrote:
Carrs Landing Viking wrote:More daylight year round makes much more sense to me.

Ya, but think of the effect on the climate. More daylight means more accumulated heat and accelerated global warming. We should be staying on standard time all year long to reduce daylight and to counter global warming.
/sarcasm

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:The climate has absolutely no clue what time it is. Good grief.

There, maybe that helps. :biggrin:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I hate time. I haven't worn a watch longer than I can remember. I think it was back when you had to push the little button on the side to get it light up.
I eat when I am hungry, I sleep when I am tired, I get up when I am ready, I am never late for an appointment and I know when someone else is late, and I always have to wait for a women.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Merry wrote:I gave it a lot of thought and have decided that I lean more toward having year round Standard Time than year round Daylight Saving Time.

My reasons are as follows:

DST is what we have in the summer, and Standard Time is what we have in the winter. So, if we stay on Standard Time year round that means that in the summer we won't "spring ahead" and 7am will not become 8 am. And 10 pm would not become 11 pm. So, in other words it would become lighter earlier in the morning, and go dark earlier at night. I wouldn't mind it going dark earlier at night, because I like dark evenings to sit round the campfire, or even round my firetable on my patio. It seems nicer when it's dark. And although I'm not raving about earlier morning daylight, the summer daylight already comes before I get up so it wouldn't be all that different. Winter times would remain as they are now.

Alternatively, if we went with DST all year round, summer would be as it is now but in winter what is now 8 am in winter would become 9 am (which would give us darker mornings) but we'd get an extra hour of daylight in the evenings in late Nov and early Dec. Which is fine with me, because I don't like driving back from the Mall in the dark (senior night vision issues). However, as I don't like getting out of bed in the dark, and the time when it goes dark shortly after 4 pm is only for a short period, I think I'd prefer to leave our Winters on Standard Time.

This is what happened in Russia when they tried going with DST all year round
Russia instituted year-round daylight saving time in 2011, or permanent "summer time," which seemed dandy at first. But in the depths of winter, sunrise occurred at 10 a.m. in Moscow and 11 a.m. in St. Petersburg, Prerau, author of "Seize the Daylight: The Curious and Contentious Story of Daylight Saving Time," said. This meant Russians had to start their days in the cold, pitch-dark. The permanent summer is coming to an end, however, as now Russian president Vladimir Putin abolished DST in 2014, according to BBC News. As such, the country will remain in "winter time" forever, or until another law is passed.

https://www.livescience.com/56048-dayli ... guide.html

So, taking everything into consideration, I think having year round Standard (Winter) time would work the best.

Yes, you certainly have given this a lot of thought, Merry. It's who you are, and I love the way you weigh all the pros and cons of an issue before coming to a decision. I, on the other hand, try to simplify things to make my decision easier (I really suck at making decisions!). So my contribution to this discussion is, if you're a morning person, advocate for year-round Standard time; if you're a night hawk, advocate for DST. Easy-peasy!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I could seriously care less.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Dizzy1 wrote:I could seriously care less.

It's good to know you do care, if only a little
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Merry wrote:So, taking everything into consideration, I think having year round Standard (Winter) time would work the best.

Excellent post Merry. I was definitely thinking that daylight time the whole year would be the way to go but after reading your post I see the merit in sticking with standard time. On daylight time the sunrise would occur in Kelowna at 8:54 on December 21st. That's not quite as bad as the examples cited with the Russian experience but still very early. So standard time or maybe just leave as it is??
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a18011/in-defense-of-daylight-saving-time/

This is a good read.

When it comes to northern latitudes though, this is pretty moot. In the summer the sun starts rising at 4am. Dusk extends into 10pm.
There is ample daylight either way.

Same in the winter. If you work a full 8 your day, you’re barely going to see sunlight either way. Doesn’t matter where the clocks are.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Personally I'd vote for DST year round. More daylight in the evenings in the summer and less early morning daylight, also in the summer. Dusk occurring at 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM +/- doesn't matter to me.

The daylight saving time discussion, is a mid-latitude "thing", because as you may know, near the equator in all seasons the sun basically rises and falls at around 6, period.

As for the poles, they have virtually all day daylight or I guess dawn to daylight to dusk to daylight, no night. In the winter the reverse.

The one thing I would like is the bloody media, when talking about changing the way we handle our time, properly describe what they are talking about. They continually state : "which do you think is best ? switching clocks in the fall and the spring or remaining on the same time" and never explain the option of remaining on DST or remaining on PST as there are two scenarios for "remaining on the same time".
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I can't believe that nobody is going for the Zulu time/Coordinated Universal Time/UTC idea. Abolishing timezones entirely would have huge benefits for society as a whole and software/systems engineers in particular. Ask anyone who has ever tried to write software to handle timezones, DST and leap seconds if there are any problems with these silly constructs and they'll break into a cold sweat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/one-time-zone-for-the-world-127795315/
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I would love to abolish time zones altogether and have a single global time, but that’s an argument for another thread
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Omnitheo wrote:I would love to abolish time zones altogether and have a single global time, but that’s an argument for another thread

So, at this moment (11:16 AM) it's 03:16 Hrs Zulu ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “B.C.”