30% of seniors living alone

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

30% of seniors living alone

Post by flamingfingers »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210198

It might be interesting to establish a 'matching up' service for these people... not necessarily one based on a romantic purpose but one that may be able to work in a co-dependent manner for financial or homemaking support. A widower may want to cohabit with a woman who can cook, do laundry and can balance a budget. A widow may want to cohabit with a man who drives a car and can make repairs to the property. A man may want to cohabit with another man who enjoys chess, books and can help out with rent and can share housekeeping. A woman may want to cohabit with another woman who shares kids and grandkids and hobbies of interest to both.

There are a multitude of opportunities that this could take advantage of.
Chill
Even Steven
Guru

Re: 30% of seniors living alone

Post by Even Steven »

Maybe it's because 30% of seniors are not very friendly and nobody wants to live with them.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Even Steven wrote:Maybe it's because 30% of seniors are not very friendly and nobody wants to live with them.

OR..... they have had enough of others that are wrong about every subject and that is the way they choose to spend the rest of their life......in peace and quite.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Maybe after a lifetime of catering to others some just wish to enjoy some peace and quiet.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

30% of old spouses die before their partner.......sad.

However it is also a statistic that STD transmission is highest in the elder generation these days, yeah, they live alone but they don't sleep along.

I mean good for them, but c'mon folks your hip might be new but chlamydia isn't.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Veovis wrote:30% of old spouses die before their partner.......sad.

However it is also a statistic that STD transmission is highest in the elder generation these days, yeah, they live alone but they don't sleep along.

I mean good for them, but c'mon folks your hip might be new but chlamydia isn't.

Sounds like you speak from experience....
Chill
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Veovis wrote:However it is also a statistic that STD transmission is highest in the elder generation these days, yeah, they live alone but they don't sleep along.

At that age they don't care anymore. Ghonorea for everybody!
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Who opened this can of worms? FF, I can't believe you did this! But of course I'll weigh in anyway :biggrin: For once, I agree with OT. The 30% are probably the people who had a not-so-happy marriage and are not contemplating ever sharing their space with anyone again, male or female. You see, there's a big difference between being alone and being lonely. Some people thrive on having a lot of time to themselves, while others need companionship all the time. I'm guessing the 30% fit into the former category.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

flamingfingers wrote:Sounds like you speak from experience....

HA ha ha. Not quite yet, but hope for the future I suppose.

Cactusflower wrote:Who opened this can of worms? FF, I can't believe you did this! But of course I'll weigh in anyway :biggrin: For once, I agree with OT. The 30% are probably the people who had a not-so-happy marriage and are not contemplating ever sharing their space with anyone again, male or female. You see, there's a big difference between being alone and being lonely. Some people thrive on having a lot of time to themselves, while others need companionship all the time. I'm guessing the 30% fit into the former category.

I think many have had such a long partnership that having a new one isn't something they want. There really is a difference between alone and lonely I agree. Some find other company again to not be alone and others just enjoy life in another way, I hope each finds what they want at any age.

Even Steven wrote:At that age they don't care anymore. Ghonorea for everybody!

Funny but might be true, many might figure it won't be the itch that's gonna get em, they've pee'd blood for years already anyways.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

70% are not living alone.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

LordEd wrote:70% are not living alone.

Let's have a poll to find out how many of that 70% wish they were part of the 30%. [icon_lol2.gif]
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The children drop the parents off at seniors home and in many cases don't ever come to visit, except to claim the the body (even then they will send funeral home).
It's sad how some families could care less about older members of the family.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

GordonH wrote:The children drop the parents off at seniors home and in many cases don't ever come to visit, except to claim the the body (even then they will send funeral home).
It's sad how some families could care less about older members of the family.

Yes, that certainly is sad, but I don't think this story is about those people. I think it's about the ones who are still living in their own homes. Some are still married and living together, some are widowed or divorced and living alone. Some are content to live alone, and some aren't. Viva la difference!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

GordonH wrote:It's sad how some families could care less about older members of the family.

Children who were treated well by their parents won't leave them alone. Perhaps said parents weren't all that great and children are serving them their just desserts.

Karma.

Return to “B.C.”