Guaranteed income

twobits
Guru

Guaranteed income

Post by twobits »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/210341 ... -all-in-BC

I cannot believe the brain dead NDP are still considering this sort of failed social experiment! I mean seriously....why get a job,why get an education if the gov't pays you to stay at home with enhanced welfare?
Is not a guaranteed wage of 15 buck an hr not enough to motivate people to get off the couch and contribute?
It also sounds rather counter intuitive to raise the min wage to 15 and also look to a min guaranteed income me thinks.
I guess it won't be long before 90% of us can just stay home while 10% of the rich pay for us to do so. But hey, we'll all be equal citizens like they are in Cuba right? Broke azz eating rice for dinner every night but great and free medical care.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Guaranteed income

Post by Urbane »

twobits wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/210341/Basic-income-for-all-in-BC

I cannot believe the brain dead NDP are still considering this sort of failed social experiment! I mean seriously....why get a job,why get an education if the gov't pays you to stay at home with enhanced welfare?
    Is not a guaranteed wage of 15 buck an hr not enough to motivate people to get off the couch and contribute?
    It also sounds rather counter intuitive to raise the min wage to 15 and also look to a min guaranteed income me thinks.
    I guess it won't be long before 90% of us can just stay home while 10% of the rich pay for us to do so. But hey, we'll all be equal citizens like they are in Cuba right? Broke azz eating rice for dinner every night but great and free medical care.
Horgan promised to bring in his own Leap Manifesto if he became premier and I think we're seeing him starting to roll it out.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

typical ndp unionized attitude let the lazy and the useless survive on the backs of those who work harder no wonder my backs so sore these days
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the real question, how much $ per month
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

There's a story about a loaf of bread, some fish, and feeding a bunch of people that comes to mind here.

The number of people we have on this planet is bumping up against the ability of earth to support them all. We will never have enough jobs for everybody in the future.
Last edited by bob vernon on Oct 30th, 2017, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Oct 31st, 2017, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Starting next July 1, you can have up to 4 plants in your home. Should be enough.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Do you actually believe people enjoy being on welfare? Do you really think they will forego education because they have a guaranteed income? Where do you get the statistics to support such nonsense? Your analogy with Cuba makes no sense either. The Cubans were not pushed into poverty because of communism, but because of the US economic interference. Most people prefer working over welfare and a guaranteed income would encourage poor people to go back to school. A guaranteed income would be a win-win all around. And the few people who wouldn't want to work, well, trust me. You wouldn't want them working for you, at any wage.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

theres plenty of people who are quite content on welfare and somehow are able to afford liquor and smokes why wouldn't they be content
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

As a single parent, quite awhile ago now I was in a position of having a new born and a one yr old. I didn't have a choice after my parental EI ran out I had to go on welfare. No way in hell would I ever want to do that again.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

The theory is a the basic income would replace all the other social income services (welfare, ei, disability, etc), for same cost. Interesting concept worth investigating, imo.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Walking Wounded wrote:As a single parent, quite awhile ago now I was in a position of having a new born and a one yr old. I didn't have a choice after my parental EI ran out I had to go on welfare. No way in hell would I ever want to do that again.

its situations like that I have no problem with, its the abusers and we all have known someone in life that abused (or still is) the system, theres a break down in the system where people are just left to collect away at our expense and that needs to stop
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

GerryL wrote:Do you actually believe people enjoy being on welfare? Do you really think they will forego education because they have a guaranteed income? Where do you get the statistics to support such nonsense? Your analogy with Cuba makes no sense either. The Cubans were not pushed into poverty because of communism, but because of the US economic interference. Most people prefer working over welfare and a guaranteed income would encourage poor people to go back to school. A guaranteed income would be a win-win all around. And the few people who wouldn't want to work, well, trust me. You wouldn't want them working for you, at any wage.

Yeup, I believe some do. Some would like a second chance and need help to get their lives back on track( $15.00/hr is a start) and some have mental issues from whatever the reason and just couldn't care one way or the other and become wards of the state.
Cuban's are in the state they are in because they embrace communism and after the wall fell were still on the inside looking out. Many countries have succeeded without the American influence.
A guaranteed income is a communist idea in my opinion. Glad I'm nearing retirement and if this comes to fruition I'd hate to be continuing working 50-60 hours a week and my now increased taxes going to others that will milk the system.
Stupid idea...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

I think it's a little early for a universal basic income, but it seems like it is inevitable. As more and more industries automate, there will have to be some sort of distribution plan in place.

Automation can be a great thing if things like universal basic income plans are in place.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GerryL wrote:Do you actually believe people enjoy being on welfare?

There are many that do.

It'll all work out Comrade's :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”