SCC to rule on ski resort

Cactusflower
Banned

Re: SCC to rule on ski resort

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.e-know.ca/news/taxpayers-pa ... ry-bridge/

One must only read the last paragraph in this article to know why this boondoggle should never be allowed to proceed.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I would like to know if any them companies donated to bclibs ? Hmmmm :200:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.e-know.ca/news/taxpayers-paid-for-grl-necessary-bridge/

One must only read the last paragraph in this article to know why this boondoggle should never be allowed to proceed.

Where is the proof of these allegations?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.e-know.ca/news/taxpayers-paid-for-grl-necessary-bridge/

This proposal has been out there forever and the resort might never be built but the key thing today was the SCC landmark decision. It was an excellent decision by the court.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It was an excellent decision to not create a monster.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

That, they said, would end spiritual assistance and guidance from the spirit, erode their rituals and songs about the spirit and damage their identity and culture.

The coming appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada asserts the development violates the Ktunaxa’s Charter right to freedom of religion. They also allege the B.C. government failed to take into account their religious arguments and therefore breached its constitutional duty to consult and accommodate aboriginal peoples.

That was a very good try using religion. I am glad that the Courts shut it down, some lawyer thought he might be the head negotiator for the Indigenous on how much of the pie they would get if they could control this development.

I like many others are seeing through these people who are only in it for financial gain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

maryjane48 wrote:I would like to know if any them companies donated to bclibs ? Hmmmm :200:

And this in it self is a legitimate concern. I'd like to also. :smt045
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

FYI:

Jumbo Glacier officially becomes resort municipality
Appointing mayor and council a 'slap in the face,' says Invermere mayor
CBC News Posted: Nov 20, 2012 6:39 AM PT Last Updated: Nov 20, 2012 6:47 PM PT

The controversial Jumbo Glacier Resort moved another step closer to reality with the establishment of a resort municipality for the site, but critics are already calling the move undemocratic.

B.C.'s Community Development Minister Bill Bennett formally announced the creation of the Mountain Resort Municipality of Jumbo Glacier and appointed former mayor of Radium Hot Springs Greg Deck as the community's first mayor.

Nancy Hugunin and Steve Ostrander were appointed to the new municipal council.

The Jumbo Glacier ski resort project in southeastern B.C. would sit on an old sawmill site, and visitors would be shuttled to ski and snowboard on four nearby glaciers in the Purcell mountains. (CBC)

Opponents have already criticized the province's move to create a local government for a community with population base made up almost entirely of grizzly bears and mountain goats.

Even before the official announcement Invermere Mayor Gerry Taft went so far as to call the move "undemocratic."

"From my perspective this is a back-room deal, which is a slap in the face for democracy," said Taft Tuesday morning.

"It creates a community or town which has no people, and has an appointed council which is then able to pass land use decisions and zone land and increase the value of land without being accountable to any local population.
"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.1295477
Chill
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Personally, I'm not too excited about the prospect of a ski resort in that area but I am very pleased the SCoC ruled the way it did :130: :smt045 :130: :smt045 :130: :smt045 :130: :smt045 :130: :smt045
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I am too. But for different reasons perhaps? But that does not make MJ's concern any less of one.

Buckeye :up:
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

While I don't think that ski hills are necessarily the best thing for the environment, they are good for the economy of the region they're in. Blocking it on the grounds that it might chase away the spirit of the grizzly bear is way too air fairy so I'm glad the Supreme Court sided with the developers. Can you imagine if someone could go to court on the grounds that some project was going to "scare God" way from some place and the courts ruled in their favour. Talk about opening a huge can of worms.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 3rd, 2017, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

maryjane48 wrote:I would like to know if any them companies donated to bclibs ? Hmmmm :200:

Jumbo Glacier Resort donated $300 in 2009 to Mark McKee.

Ya think that $300 paves the way for a project of this size?

Try again.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I'm glad the SCC ruled they way they did.
Regarding the resort itself, I don't have a problem with it, however I believe it will be kaput within 5 years if it even gets further than where it is today. I just find the business plan untenable. If the target is the Calgary market, they had better keep the prices competitive with the other ski hills in the Columbian trench. OK, so the other ski hills are diluted somewhat, target Europeans/ Americans. How in devils name are they going to get there in a cost effective manner for a week holiday? Competing with Whistler...existing known area, way easier to get to.
The cost of the infrastructure, including power from dams ( :up: ) is astronomical let alone building the lifts, hotels and other things one might see at a ski resort.

This was nothing more than a pipe dream of someone who thought they could get wealthy from other investors money but the other investors I believe are bright enough to see that this what I think it is...a pipe dream
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Rwede wrote:
Jumbo Glacier Resort donated $300 in 2009 to Mark McKee.

Ya think that $300 paves the way for a project of this size?

Try again.

Some people try to justify a given group just not being catered too. It is time that someone say no. I think it is time to settle past treaties as they were intended. They are becoming so broad that the intent is lost.

Back on track, it is about time. "Just say no."

Return to “B.C.”