46203
38251

NDP to restore ferry discount

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 4th, 2017, 1:38 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:https://www.cheknews.ca/bc-ferries-northern-sea-wolf-sets-sail-to-b-c-for-2018-summer-service-383597/

Speaking of ferries, why did the BC Liberals/BC Ferries commission an old ferry from 10,000 miles away last year, when they could have commissioned a new one to be built by B.C. shipbuilders?


Do you really need to ask that question and supply the link that also answers it? Did you read the article?

Have you any idea what it would cost to build such a boat from scratch and compare it to the cost of a slightly used one? That ship is only 17 years old, I have owned cars that were up to 30 years old before someone else came along and bought them from me.
The refurbishing will provide employment to many BCers, and get that route up-and-running much sooner that starting from scratch to build a new one. That was a good call and will service the residents of Bella Coola and Port Hardy and for less money than building a new one.
Bella Coola is mostly a native population, how much longer do you want to deprive these people of their ability to travel?


If you have some links that show the cost of acquiring that ferry from Greece compared to the cost of building one here, feel free to post them here.

And please don't try to make this a racial issue. If you have found the information that proves a ferry couldn't be built in B.C. within the time it's taken to acquire one from Greece, have it brought across the Mediterranean, the Atlantic, through the Panama Canal, up the North American coast, and then have it retrofitted by the summer of 2018, feel free to post that as well.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 4th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Cactusflower wrote:If you have some links that show the cost of acquiring that ferry from Greece compared to the cost of building one here, feel free to post them here.

And please don't try to make this a racial issue. If you have found the information that proves a ferry couldn't be built in B.C. within the time it's taken to acquire one from Greece, have it brought across the Mediterranean, the Atlantic, through the Panama Canal, up the North American coast, and then have it retrofitted by the summer of 2018, feel free to post that as well.


Please, if you have some facts and figures to add credence to your statement, then please do.
How much cost do you think it takes to drive a boat for 35 days with no cargo and minimal crew?
How many days does it take for a cargo ship to cross from China to Canada?
How much is this going to cost to run this boat daily from Port Hardy and Bella Coola and how many days/year is this going happen?
What is the distance between Bella Coola and Port hardy and how many hours will the trip take?
What is going to be the fare to ride on this route?
What are the capital costs, as compared to the gains and who is going to receive the greatest benefit?

I say scrap it and sink the boat before it even gets here. It is not needed and never will be.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 775
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 441 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby hobbyguy » Nov 4th, 2017, 1:52 pm

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/04/05/bc-ferries-spends-12-6m-to-buy-used-greek-ferry.html

$12.6 million

When David Hahn ran BC Ferries they bought 4 new ferries - at a cost of $592 million.....

One day you actually do some research and check facts before spouting off. This ferry is a bargain.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 6581
Likes: 1666 posts
Liked in: 5596 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 4th, 2017, 2:08 pm

hobbyguy wrote:http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/04/05/bc-ferries-spends-12-6m-to-buy-used-greek-ferry.html

$12.6 million

When David Hahn ran BC Ferries they bought 4 new ferries - at a cost of $592 million.....

One day you actually do some research and check facts before spouting off. This ferry is a bargain.


It's only a bargain if you are okay with the history of that BC Liberal appointee, David Hahn. I can't believe you had the nerve to bring him up.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 4th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Here is what the new ferry will provide for the residents of Bella Coola that they are not getting now.
Marine ferry[edit]
BC Ferries provides a vehicle/passenger service in the summer (mid-June - mid-September) to Port Hardy on the northern tip of Vancouver Island. The voyage includes two connecting ferries: the Nimpkish from Bella Coola to Bella Bella then the Northern Expedition to Port Hardy. Reservations are essential as the Nimpkish carries only 16 cars and operates about twice a week. Travellers should be aware that Nimpkish has no amenities and the trip takes 9.5 hours, plus 7 hours on the Northern Expedition. In 2014, the large ferry Queen of Chilliwack which had provided direct service between Bella Coola and Port Hardy since 1995 was cancelled due to provincial government cutbacks.[7]
In 2017, BC Ferries announced the purchase of a 150 passenger, 35-vehicle vessel to again provide direct service between Port Hardy & Bella Coola starting 19 June 2018. [8]
During the rest of the year (mid-September to mid-June), ferry service is provided twice a month and connects Bella Coola to the outlying coastal communities of Bella Bella, Shearwater and Ocean Falls,[9] with passengers able to transfer at McLoughlin Bay (Bella Bella) to a ferry serving either Prince Rupert and Klemtu, or Port Hardy. The sailing schedule varies throughout the season.[10]


Sure sounds like a good deal for all those otherwise isolated inhabitants.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 775
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 441 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby Old Techie » Nov 4th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Why would that be, because it exposes another one of your statements as incorrect? :biggrin:
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2168
Likes: 1756 posts
Liked in: 2943 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 4th, 2017, 3:14 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Here is what the new ferry will provide for the residents of Bella Coola that they are not getting now.
Marine ferry[edit]
BC Ferries provides a vehicle/passenger service in the summer (mid-June - mid-September) to Port Hardy on the northern tip of Vancouver Island. The voyage includes two connecting ferries: the Nimpkish from Bella Coola to Bella Bella then the Northern Expedition to Port Hardy. Reservations are essential as the Nimpkish carries only 16 cars and operates about twice a week. Travellers should be aware that Nimpkish has no amenities and the trip takes 9.5 hours, plus 7 hours on the Northern Expedition. In 2014, the large ferry Queen of Chilliwack which had provided direct service between Bella Coola and Port Hardy since 1995 was cancelled due to provincial government cutbacks.[7]
In 2017, BC Ferries announced the purchase of a 150 passenger, 35-vehicle vessel to again provide direct service between Port Hardy & Bella Coola starting 19 June 2018. [8]
During the rest of the year (mid-September to mid-June), ferry service is provided twice a month and connects Bella Coola to the outlying coastal communities of Bella Bella, Shearwater and Ocean Falls,[9] with passengers able to transfer at McLoughlin Bay (Bella Bella) to a ferry serving either Prince Rupert and Klemtu, or Port Hardy. The sailing schedule varies throughout the season.[10]


Sure sounds like a good deal for all those otherwise isolated inhabitants.


You've 'forgotten' that these 'isolated inhabitants' weren't isolated before the Queen of the North sank.......under Campbell and Hahn's watch. They've been isolated ever since, and now it's a big deal that the BC Liberals were forced by the North Island residents and NDP MLA to replace the ferry service they neglected to provide since that tragedy?
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 4th, 2017, 3:16 pm

hobbyguy wrote:http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/04/05/bc-ferries-spends-12-6m-to-buy-used-greek-ferry.html

$12.6 million

When David Hahn ran BC Ferries they bought 4 new ferries - at a cost of $592 million.....

One day you actually do some research and check facts before spouting off. This ferry is a bargain.


http://www.theprovince.com/business/fer ... story.html

And this from the BC Liberal-friendly Province.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby hobbyguy » Nov 4th, 2017, 3:29 pm

^^ deflect, deflect - you got caught once again in the fact free zone. David Hahn has zero to do with you original false assertion.

How about you try to justify the cost of the massive over service of tiny little islands like Mayne Island that was put in place (but paired back a little) by the previous NDP?

That's where the real story of ferry fares is. The main routes subsidize those little islands like crazy!
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 6581
Likes: 1666 posts
Liked in: 5596 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 4th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Cactusflower wrote:You've 'forgotten' that these 'isolated inhabitants' weren't isolated before the Queen of the North sank.......under Campbell and Hahn's watch. They've been isolated ever since, and now it's a big deal that the BC Liberals were forced by the North Island residents and NDP MLA to replace the ferry service they neglected to provide since that tragedy?


What did they do before the government of BC provided ferries for them to use? Perhaps they should have stuck with their personal canoes and just left them alone?
They were isolated before the ferry service, and then after the boat sank, but now they get a new boat and that is still not good enough because it was not built in BC.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 775
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 441 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 4th, 2017, 4:17 pm

hobbyguy wrote:^^ deflect, deflect - you got caught once again in the fact free zone. David Hahn has zero to do with you original false assertion.

How about you try to justify the cost of the massive over service of tiny little islands like Mayne Island that was put in place (but paired back a little) by the previous NDP?

That's where the real story of ferry fares is. The main routes subsidize those little islands like crazy!


Okay, I'll start a new ferry topic with today's news headline. Wouldn't want to confuse anyone.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1288
Likes: 589 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby Dizzy1 » Nov 4th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
You know very little about seniors in this province. Most of them are retired and don't need to commute to work by ferry. Most of them live within spitting distance from the rest of their family. Again, no reason for ferry excursions to visit relatives. The health care is no better on the mainland than it is on the island, so no reason to cross the pond for doctor's appointments. Most seniors can't afford Vancouver Canucks/concert tickets, and even if they could they wouldn't choose the hassle of possibly missing the last ferry home and spending the night in some over-priced hotel.

No, most island seniors have very little need for the BC Ferry system, so it's a smart PR move by the NDP to offer them free rides again. The loss of revenue isn't an issue.

:spitcoffee:

What was that little thing the last time the NDP tried to meddle into the economics of BC Ferries?

Oh yeah ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Ferry_Scandal

:up:

Image
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

seewood likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10121
Likes: 3967 posts
Liked in: 4440 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: NDP to restore ferry discount

Postby The Green Barbarian » Nov 5th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.cheknews.ca/bc-ferries-northern-sea-wolf-sets-sail-to-b-c-for-2018-summer-service-383597/

Speaking of ferries, why did the BC Liberals/BC Ferries commission an old ferry from 10,000 miles away last year, when they could have commissioned a new one to be built by B.C. shipbuilders?


LOL - here we go again with the idiot NDP wanting to build ferries again. I am firmly convinced that every single stupid mistake made by the NDP during their last reign of terror in the 1990's will be repeated again. That's just how stupid this party is.
Not sure why I bother with a signature as it seems to just randomly disappear on a regular basis. Especially if it offends liberal snowflakes.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 24171
Likes: 9358 posts
Liked in: 11268 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Previous

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests