New ferry for B.C.

Cactusflower
Banned

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Post by Cactusflower »

Fancy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:According to the dictionary, the word 'derelict' means 'left or abandoned by the owner or guardian'. What made you jump to the conclusion that one of those ships cant be refurbished and put back on the fleet?
- also means "In a very poor condition as a result of disuse and neglect" neglected, in ruins, bad state of repair etc. etc.
Collins, Oxford, Cambridge etc. etc.

Perhaps BC Ferries should hire someone to go down there and assess which ones are 'in ruins', and which are simply 'left or abandoned by the owner or guardian'.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Fancy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:According to the dictionary, the word 'derelict' means 'left or abandoned by the owner or guardian'. What made you jump to the conclusion that one of those ships cant be refurbished and put back on the fleet?
- also means "In a very poor condition as a result of disuse and neglect" neglected, in ruins, bad state of repair etc. etc.
Collins, Oxford, Cambridge etc. etc.

Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps BC Ferries should hire someone to go down there and assess which ones are 'in ruins', and which are simply 'left or abandoned by the owner or guardian'.

What? ANOTHER study group on the taxpayer's $$$ ? :135:
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Much better than the 'ready, fire, aim' approach of the previous government.
:topic: The 'new' old Greek ferry has not even been tested yet, so perhaps it would be best to carry on this debate next summer.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The NDP government couldn't make a decision on which stall to use in the bathroom without first hiring a study group that was paid for by the taxpayers. And even at that, it would have to think about it until it was too late.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Much better than the 'ready, fire, aim' approach of the previous government.
:topic: The 'new' old Greek ferry has not even been tested yet, so perhaps it would be best to carry on this debate next summer.

The Northern Sea Wolf is already seaworthy - the rusty ferry in the photos, not so much.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Much better than the 'ready, fire, aim' approach of the previous government.

Fancy wrote:The Northern Sea Wolf is already seaworthy - the rusty ferry in the photos, not so much.

It would take too long and too much money to get that thing to float again. It's not even worth recycling for the scrap value, ergo....that's why it is sitting where it is.
BUT if CF and MJ think it is viable, let's hear what they have to show from their personal research. I am willing to read what they have to say and their conclusions, IF they are based on FACTS.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Why is that better? Hiring really stupid people to do studies and paying them a lot of money to do nothing is not much better. It's much worse.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Just saw this on another forum:
Mar 14, 2017 at 9:29am mirrlmak said:
Does anyone know if the ex Queen of Chilliwack would have met the honourable minister's latest requirements for a ship to replace the Nimpkish on this route?:-) (I am aware it used to primarily do this route)

That depends on whether you mean a properly working Queen of Chilliwack, or the tired ship that was barely hanging on at
The theoretical perfectly running Queen of Chilliwack would have mostly met the Minister's criteria, except for seakeeping being too much of a rolling ship for passenger comfort.

The real mechanically unreliable Queen of Chilliwack would have had too many breakdowns to be a qualifying ship, and her rolling would be another strike against her.

It's sad that many people think that she was a good ship at the end, simply because of all the regulatory-compliance money spent on her. That foolishly spent money didn't change that she was still a poor old ship.

I'm looking forward to a better ship for this old/new route.
And another post

I think two of my biases shone-through to tarnish my reply.

1) That the new ship should have been ordered 5-10 years ago, resulting in a purpose-built ship suited to the routes.
- So I compare the old Chilliwack to that ideal.

2)I've seen too many "pefectly fine ship" comments on facebook groups that decried the sale of the 'Chilliwack to Goundar.
- I've got my auto-reply ready for these comments, to explain that the ship wasn't great, and most of the money spent in the final years was just to keep her barely regulatory-compliant.

Yes, she could have been used for a few more years on Route-40, with the tolerance of some expected breakdowns each season. Even if it was just to do 2 direct Port Hardy - Bella Coola round trips each week in the summer. That would have made a huge difference for the tourism economy in the mid-coast and Chilcotin.

Just a couple of posts from ferry junkies....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Cactusflower wrote:^^What about the second part of my comment? I'm not even going to dignify the other rude remarks on this page with a reply.

How about the fact that snuffs your fantasy?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”