New ferry for B.C.

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 6th, 2017, 2:16 pm

alanjh595 wrote:You mean these ferries?

The Fast Ferry Scandal, also referred to as the Fast Ferries Scandal, "FastCat Fiasco", Fast Ferries Fiasco, was a political affair in the late 1990s relating to the construction of three fast ferries by the Canadian provincial crown corporation BC Ferries under direction of the British Columbia New Democratic Party then headed by premier Glen Clark.
Despite major delays and cost overruns, the ferries never fully met their original specifications, and only operated briefly in a reduced capacity, before being auctioned off at a substantial economic loss.
An audit was later conducted by BC Auditor General George L. Morfitt. The press called the final report perhaps the most damning report the BC Auditor General's office has ever issued.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Ferry_Scandal


Perhaps the most damning report at that time, but there have been many more 'damning reports' since 2001, as reported here:
https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2017/04/10/B ... hole-List/

(Don't let your disdain for the Tyee stop you from reading these inconvenient truths.)
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1323
Likes: 599 posts
Liked in: 279 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 6th, 2017, 2:29 pm

alanjh595 wrote:You mean these ferries?

The Fast Ferry Scandal, also referred to as the Fast Ferries Scandal, "FastCat Fiasco", Fast Ferries Fiasco, was a political affair in the late 1990s relating to the construction of three fast ferries by the Canadian provincial crown corporation BC Ferries under direction of the British Columbia New Democratic Party then headed by premier Glen Clark.
Despite major delays and cost overruns, the ferries never fully met their original specifications, and only operated briefly in a reduced capacity, before being auctioned off at a substantial economic loss.
An audit was later conducted by BC Auditor General George L. Morfitt. The press called the final report perhaps the most damning report the BC Auditor General's office has ever issued.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Ferry_Scandal


Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps the most damning report at that time, but there have been many more 'damning reports' since 2001, as reported here:
https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2017/04/10/B ... hole-List/

(Don't let your disdain for the Tyee stop you from reading these inconvenient truths.)


Deflection without substance. Something that the NDP supporters are typical and recognised for. Why not address the topic "head-on" instead of posting a google search of topics that would have to be waded through?
How about just supplying one link that supports your viewpoint?

Old Techie likes this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 791
Likes: 246 posts
Liked in: 458 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 6th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Cactusflower wrote:(Don't let your disdain for the Tyee stop you from reading these inconvenient truths.)


Let's do a Google/Wikipedia search of "The Tyee" together. This is what comes up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tyee

I won't express my disdain for this source if you don't base your opinion upon this website alone.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 791
Likes: 246 posts
Liked in: 458 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 6th, 2017, 3:00 pm

^^ I knew you wouldn't be able to read it. And I did address the topic 'head on', on the first page, I believe. When BC Ferries need to add another vessel to their fleet, they should hire BC shipbuilders before giving jobs to German and Polish workers. If they need to buy an older vessel, why not refurbish one of the ones they have hidden away in various out-of-the-way places around our coast?
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1323
Likes: 599 posts
Liked in: 279 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 6th, 2017, 3:04 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
(Don't let your disdain for the Tyee stop you from reading these inconvenient truths.)


How about you stop quoting the thoughts of others?
How about opening up your own mind to consider the opinions of the majority of the residents in BC?
How about getting someone of a higher functioning mental capacity that can advise you, and show you where your onions have gone wrong?
How about you do some serious analytical research on the topics that you choose to post upon?
How about you, just give some thought about the rest of us "higher functioning" people some consideration and respect?

In order for others to give you respect, you must also give them some respect.

Old Techie likes this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 791
Likes: 246 posts
Liked in: 458 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 6th, 2017, 3:11 pm

http://www.vancouversun.com/stephen+hum ... story.html

Then there are stories like this that make one wonder who in the heck is in charge of BC Ferries? Why did they selling one of our ferries to Fiji or wherever, and then turn around and by one from Greece? Is this good fiscal management?

maryjane48 likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1323
Likes: 599 posts
Liked in: 279 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 6th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/stephen+hume+public+deserves+answers+ferries+sale+queen+chilliwack/11650157/story.html

Then there are stories like this that make one wonder who in the heck is in charge of BC Ferries? Why did they selling one of our ferries to Fiji or wherever, and then turn around and by one from Greece? Is this good fiscal management?


From January 2016? AND you are just bringing this up now? Talk about grasping at headline straws from the past to support your opinion. Just WOW. Do you not read the links before you submit them as support to your viewpoint?
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 791
Likes: 246 posts
Liked in: 458 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 6th, 2017, 6:08 pm

A hint from the article:

Yet last April, BC Ferries abruptly listed the ship, which it noted was in “operational reserve” and ready for use. The closing date for sale was set for 24 days later with one day for viewing. The Queen of Chilliwack was snapped up by a former senior BC Ferries manager who left and started a ferry company in the South Seas. The buyer described the ship as being “of very high standard, has updated technological equipment and state of the art passenger facilities.”

Deborah Marshall, director of public affairs for BC Ferries, confirmed the Queen of Chilliwack was sold to Goundar Shipping Limited, an inter-island ferry service in Fiji launched five years ago by George Goundar. A native Fijian and marine engineer by training, Goundar spent more than 20 years in senior roles with BC Ferries, according to the company’s website.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

Cactusflower likes this post.
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19279
Likes: 5028 posts
Liked in: 5693 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby Omnitheo » Nov 6th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.vancouversun.com/stephen+hume+public+deserves+answers+ferries+sale+queen+chilliwack/11650157/story.html

Then there are stories like this that make one wonder who in the heck is in charge of BC Ferries? Why did they selling one of our ferries to Fiji or wherever, and then turn around and by one from Greece? Is this good fiscal management?


The Queen of Chilliwack was 2.5 times the size of the Northern Sea Wolf. It’s possible they are trying to make a long term investment through efficiency. If there’s not enough demand to fill the QoC, they are sailing all day with a mostly empty, and more expensive to operate ship. The Chilliwack has also been bounced from one route to another, always replaced by a better more modern ship. It’s usefulness in BC may simply have been coming to an end.

The current vessel is too small, unable to fully meet demand. This necessitated replacing the current ship either way.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3303
Likes: 4734 posts
Liked in: 2194 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 9:10 am

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby Dizzy1 » Nov 6th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Cactusflower wrote:^^ I knew you wouldn't be able to read it. And I did address the topic 'head on', on the first page, I believe. When BC Ferries need to add another vessel to their fleet, they should hire BC shipbuilders before giving jobs to German and Polish workers. If they need to buy an older vessel, why not refurbish one of the ones they have hidden away in various out-of-the-way places around our coast?

Can’t hire a BC ship yard when they cancel their bid because they’re full to capacity.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10134
Likes: 3978 posts
Liked in: 4454 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 6th, 2017, 10:35 pm

^^What about the second part of my comment? I'm not even going to dignify the other rude remarks on this page with a reply.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1323
Likes: 599 posts
Liked in: 279 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby JagXKR » Nov 6th, 2017, 11:55 pm

Cactusflower wrote:^^What about the second part of my comment? I'm not even going to dignify the other rude remarks on this page with a reply.


It was great fiscal management to get an awesome ferry at a low price. Great deal. Saved the taxpayer massive coin.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
User avatar
JagXKR
Board Meister
 
Posts: 637
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 432 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 7th, 2017, 8:44 am

JagXKR wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^What about the second part of my comment? I'm not even going to dignify the other rude remarks on this page with a reply.


It was great fiscal management to get an awesome ferry at a low price. Great deal. Saved the taxpayer massive coin.


Please give me a link to some numbers. I understand the Greek ferry cost $12.6 million. How much would it would have cost to 'resurrect' one of the old BC Ferries that are being stashed in various coves on the coast?
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1323
Likes: 599 posts
Liked in: 279 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 7th, 2017, 8:49 am

JagXKR wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:^^What about the second part of my comment? I'm not even going to dignify the other rude remarks on this page with a reply.


It was great fiscal management to get an awesome ferry at a low price. Great deal. Saved the taxpayer massive coin.


Cactusflower wrote:Please give me a link to some numbers. I understand the Greek ferry cost $12.6 million. How much would it would have cost to 'resurrect' one of the old BC Ferries that are being stashed in various coves on the coast?


How about you do the homework and show some initiative instead of trying others to make a presentation for you to shoot full of holes?
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 791
Likes: 246 posts
Liked in: 458 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: New ferry for B.C.

Postby Old Techie » Nov 7th, 2017, 9:07 am

seewood wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:And to the usual suspects who will be bringing up the ferries that the NDP had built in B.C. 20+ years ago........Go ahead, make my day


Hey they were a great idea. Not a ship building expert by any means but I do recognize the issues with an aluminum hull and steel fittings. Think it is called galvanic action? Just increases maintenance costs that's all.
Had super high tech MTU engines, lots of power there but stupid expensive fuel as the diesel had to be refined so much more that the cheap bunker C the rest of the fleet runs on.
It was a shame the ferries could only run a fraction of the route at its advertised service speed because of the wake it put out at those speeds. Annoyed all those wealthy folk on the waterfronts...
Fuel burn was off the charts when you push a displacement hull through the water at speed.
At least we got some money back on those, unlike the Site C if cancelled...



Cactusflower wrote:
Yeah, we got 10 cents on the dollar back thanks to Campbell's cruelty. He sold those ferries back to the builder for peanuts, and Seaspan resold them to Yemen (or some country in the Middle East, can't remember which one) for a large profit. Campbell did us no favours by doing this simply to spite the NDP.


Yeah and now here we are in 2017 with you and your like minded ilk, looking to do anything possible to spite the Liberals, be it rooted in sound reasoning or not. Mostly not, thanks to an amply evident lack of rational reasoning ability.

Almost the same as the strategy in the Site C thread, here you are attacking the purchase of a ferry, on a premise of some sort of conspiracy, whilst the reasonable answers as to the whys are ignored.

Are you qualified to be making assumptions as to what approach is best, what type of ship is needed for a given route, why some ships have been decommissioned or sold? Thought not!

Just more speculation and conspiracy theory from the ill informed anti Liberal ankle biters.
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela

alanjh595 likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2182
Likes: 1791 posts
Liked in: 2961 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blueliner, Carrs Landing Viking and 6 guests