46018

Abbotsford Officer Lost

Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby generalposter » Nov 6th, 2017, 4:53 pm

My saddest condolences to the Abbotsford Police Officer, his family and his peers at this tragic time. He was lost while defending the public from a car thief.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210914

No one goes to work thinking it will happen and this brave man paid the final and ultimate price while safe guarding people like ourselves. I cannot imagine the pain his family is feeling. He will never be forgotten.

Please let the courts make a supreme example of this murderer and thief. Am I correct in thinking execution is an option when a police officer is taken from us?

kevcol99 likes this post.
generalposter
Fledgling
 
Posts: 238
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 277 posts
Joined: Oct 16th, 2011, 8:49 am

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby Fancy » Nov 6th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and co-workers. They all will be going through tough times.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 44440
Likes: 1094 posts
Liked in: 5491 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby JagXKR » Nov 6th, 2017, 5:04 pm

You are not correct. Capital punishment does not exist in Canada.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
User avatar
JagXKR
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 886
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 693 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby Fancy » Nov 6th, 2017, 5:11 pm

The charge would be first degree murder.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 44440
Likes: 1094 posts
Liked in: 5491 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby oneh2obabe » Nov 6th, 2017, 5:17 pm

In 1976 capital punishment was removed from the Canadian Criminal Code. It was replaced with a mandatory life sentence without possibility of parole for 25 years for all first-degree murders.

In 1998 the Canadian National Defence Act was changed to remove the death penalty and replace it with life imprisonment with no eligibility for parole for 25 years. This brought Canadian military law in line with the civil law in Canada.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
 
Posts: 51288
Likes: 500 posts
Liked in: 5247 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 8:19 am

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby generalposter » Nov 6th, 2017, 5:20 pm

JagXKR wrote:You are not correct. Capital punishment does not exist in Canada.


Thank you for clarifying that and also for your information H20. I'll be the first among millions to call for change.

I seem to recall something being different about sentencing under circumstances like this.

kevcol99 likes this post.
generalposter
Fledgling
 
Posts: 238
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 277 posts
Joined: Oct 16th, 2011, 8:49 am

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby Walking Wounded » Nov 6th, 2017, 5:31 pm

First degree murder should be life with no parole ever. You take a life you forfeit yours.

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
Walking Wounded
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 801
Likes: 4145 posts
Liked in: 1103 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:25 pm

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby Fancy » Nov 6th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Murder of peace officer, etc.

(4) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of any person, murder is first degree murder when the victim is

(a) a police officer, police constable, constable, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriff’s officer or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, acting in the course of his duties;

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... n-231.html

235 (1) Every one who commits first degree murder or second degree murder is guilty of an indictable offence and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 44440
Likes: 1094 posts
Liked in: 5491 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby Ken7 » Nov 6th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Fancy wrote:
235 (1) Every one who commits first degree murder or second degree murder is guilty of an indictable offence and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life


You do realize "Life" is not until one dies.
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6153
Likes: 3295 posts
Liked in: 2237 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 3:09 pm

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby GordonH » Nov 6th, 2017, 6:57 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:In 1976 capital punishment was removed from the Canadian Criminal Code. It was replaced with a mandatory life sentence without possibility of parole for 25 years for all first-degree murders.

In 1998 the Canadian National Defence Act was changed to remove the death penalty and replace it with life imprisonment with no eligibility for parole for 25 years. This brought Canadian military law in line with the civil law in Canada.


My definition of Life in prison & the Canadian justice system definition, is very much different.
There's is 25 years without parole, mine has a coffin evolve... hence life in prison.
It's Mr. Magoo

2 people like this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19154
Likes: 2029 posts
Liked in: 6419 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby generalposter » Nov 6th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Imagine the legacy if just one lost officer finally triggered some change in Canadian justice and how it is metered out. I can't speak for anyone but myself but some change would be a good thing. It might even create a deterrent.
generalposter
Fledgling
 
Posts: 238
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 277 posts
Joined: Oct 16th, 2011, 8:49 am

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 6th, 2017, 7:11 pm

generalposter wrote:Imagine the legacy if just one lost officer finally triggered some change in Canadian justice and how it is metered out. I can't speak for anyone but myself but some change would be a good thing. It might even create a deterrent.

But it doesnt. We have seen people lie or tamper with evidence and innocent folks convicted because of it . Its. Not worth a,innocent life being exacuted
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2664 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby generalposter » Nov 6th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Short of some insanity plea, I don't think there will be any doubt in this instance as to who's guilty and who's not. That is what I am referring to.

Capital punishment, in my mind, is a fair trade for any police officers life when there is proof of guilt. Given the location of the crime in question, there is probably security footage of the whole event.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we Canadians need to harden up. Often these blights take their own life before we can deal with them.
generalposter
Fledgling
 
Posts: 238
Likes: 41 posts
Liked in: 277 posts
Joined: Oct 16th, 2011, 8:49 am

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby Fancy » Nov 7th, 2017, 5:23 am

Ken7 wrote:You do realize "Life" is not until one dies.
Yes - haven't posted the parole bit yet.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 44440
Likes: 1094 posts
Liked in: 5491 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby Fancy » Nov 7th, 2017, 5:24 am

generalposter wrote:Capital punishment, in my mind, is a fair trade for any police officers life when there is proof of guilt. Given the location of the crime in question, there is probably security footage of the whole event.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we Canadians need to harden up. Often these blights take their own life before we can deal with them.

Unfortunately capital punishment won't be reinstated any time soon.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 44440
Likes: 1094 posts
Liked in: 5491 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Next

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cactusflower, seewood and 12 guests