Abbotsford Officer Lost

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Postby vegas1500 » Nov 7th, 2017, 8:05 am

generalposter wrote:Short of some insanity plea, I don't think there will be any doubt in this instance as to who's guilty and who's not. That is what I am referring to.

Capital punishment, in my mind, is a fair trade for any police officers life when there is proof of guilt. Given the location of the crime in question, there is probably security footage of the whole event.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we Canadians need to harden up. Often these blights take their own life before we can deal with them.

Capital punishment is fair trade for any life taken with proof of guilt, not just a Cops life...
vegas1500
Board Meister

Liked in: 787 posts

Postby Ken7 » Nov 7th, 2017, 8:24 am

vegas1500 wrote:
Capital punishment is fair trade for any life taken with proof of guilt, not just a Cops life...

Have to agree with you, "Life is Life." I as a retired Police Officer feel any life deserves another who took it to be appropriately dealt with. Yes there is always the argument that capital punishment is could take a life of a not guilty party.

In saying this if a panel of 5 Supreme Judges reviewed those cases and there was no possible alternative and the evidence was overwhelming I could agree with it.

On the other hand, Life in prison should be at the very least 25 without parole.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 1937 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 7th, 2017, 8:43 am

I read another case where the murderer received life imprisonment and parole being denied after 25 years a couple of times. Let's hope this murderer never sees the light of day.

Urbane likes this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 4808 posts

Postby generalposter » Nov 7th, 2017, 8:47 am

vegas1500 wrote:Capital punishment is fair trade for any life taken with proof of guilt, not just a Cops life...

I disagree and consider this blanket statement too broad.

Without trying to sully this thread I suggest there are far too many circumstances under which one person might take another's life. I can think of many scenarios where someone might be given some leniency despite taking a life. Nothing is so cut and dry as to an eye for an eye.

Consideration should be given knowing that an officer put their own life second to the publics and died while protecting others. Would you suggest a person who endured years of physical and emotional abuse at the hands of a sociopathic partner and finally snapped should not be given some leniency? What about a kidnap victim having to take a life to find freedom?
generalposter

Liked in: 104 posts

Postby techrtr » Nov 7th, 2017, 9:05 am

At various times I've been very pro-death penalty, especially when a crime involved children. However, I hope that we never go back there (and I doubt that we ever will unless there's an apocalypse and some crazy, dystopian state emerges in the aftermath). Sometimes people do things and if they're mentally ill or victims of horrible abuse, can they really be held responsible for what they've done? I sometimes think that locking someone up for 50 or 60 years would actually be worse punishment than putting them to death and I don't think the death penalty has ever worked as a deterrent. It's really just about revenge.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 646 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 7th, 2017, 10:06 am

UPDATE: 9:30 a.m.

Abbotsford Police department have named the police officer who died in the line of duty Monday.

Const. John Davidson worked as a police officer for 24 years and has been with the Abbotsford Police Department since 2006.

“John was a dedicated police officer who devoted so much of his time to connecting with the community and helping kids,” said Const. Ian MacDonald.

Const. Davidson is survived by his wife and three adult children.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210943
My heart goes out to the family.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Postby Fancy » Nov 7th, 2017, 2:46 pm

A man has been charged with murder in the shooting death of an Abbotsford police officer on Monday.

The charge against Oscar Ferdinand Arfmann, born in 1952, was laid in Abbotsford provincial court Tuesday.

Arfmann remains in custody.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210943
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Postby my5cents » Nov 7th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Here's a pretty comprehensive news article on the whole incident

http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/ ... 9c8a003cb2
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 843 posts

Postby Bsuds » Nov 7th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Ken7 wrote: Life in prison should be at the very least 25 without parole.

For killing an Officer with no sign of a mental illness there should be no Parole!

Queen K likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 8893 posts

Previous

Return to B.C.