Abbotsford Officer Lost

generalposter
Board Meister

Abbotsford Officer Lost

Post by generalposter »

My saddest condolences to the Abbotsford Police Officer, his family and his peers at this tragic time. He was lost while defending the public from a car thief.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210914

No one goes to work thinking it will happen and this brave man paid the final and ultimate price while safe guarding people like ourselves. I cannot imagine the pain his family is feeling. He will never be forgotten.

Please let the courts make a supreme example of this murderer and thief. Am I correct in thinking execution is an option when a police officer is taken from us?
Someone has to say it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Abbotsford Officer Lost

Post by Fancy »

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and co-workers. They all will be going through tough times.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

You are not correct. Capital punishment does not exist in Canada.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The charge would be first degree murder.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

In 1976 capital punishment was removed from the Canadian Criminal Code. It was replaced with a mandatory life sentence without possibility of parole for 25 years for all first-degree murders.

In 1998 the Canadian National Defence Act was changed to remove the death penalty and replace it with life imprisonment with no eligibility for parole for 25 years. This brought Canadian military law in line with the civil law in Canada.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

JagXKR wrote:You are not correct. Capital punishment does not exist in Canada.

Thank you for clarifying that and also for your information H20. I'll be the first among millions to call for change.

I seem to recall something being different about sentencing under circumstances like this.
Someone has to say it.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

First degree murder should be life with no parole ever. You take a life you forfeit yours.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Murder of peace officer, etc.

(4) Irrespective of whether a murder is planned and deliberate on the part of any person, murder is first degree murder when the victim is

(a) a police officer, police constable, constable, sheriff, deputy sheriff, sheriff’s officer or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, acting in the course of his duties;

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... n-231.html

235 (1) Every one who commits first degree murder or second degree murder is guilty of an indictable offence and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Fancy wrote:
235 (1) Every one who commits first degree murder or second degree murder is guilty of an indictable offence and shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life

You do realize "Life" is not until one dies.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote:In 1976 capital punishment was removed from the Canadian Criminal Code. It was replaced with a mandatory life sentence without possibility of parole for 25 years for all first-degree murders.

In 1998 the Canadian National Defence Act was changed to remove the death penalty and replace it with life imprisonment with no eligibility for parole for 25 years. This brought Canadian military law in line with the civil law in Canada.

My definition of Life in prison & the Canadian justice system definition, is very much different.
There's is 25 years without parole, mine has a coffin evolve... hence life in prison.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Imagine the legacy if just one lost officer finally triggered some change in Canadian justice and how it is metered out. I can't speak for anyone but myself but some change would be a good thing. It might even create a deterrent.
Someone has to say it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

generalposter wrote:Imagine the legacy if just one lost officer finally triggered some change in Canadian justice and how it is metered out. I can't speak for anyone but myself but some change would be a good thing. It might even create a deterrent.

But it doesnt. We have seen people lie or tamper with evidence and innocent folks convicted because of it . Its. Not worth a,innocent life being exacuted
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Short of some insanity plea, I don't think there will be any doubt in this instance as to who's guilty and who's not. That is what I am referring to.

Capital punishment, in my mind, is a fair trade for any police officers life when there is proof of guilt. Given the location of the crime in question, there is probably security footage of the whole event.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we Canadians need to harden up. Often these blights take their own life before we can deal with them.
Someone has to say it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ken7 wrote:You do realize "Life" is not until one dies.
Yes - haven't posted the parole bit yet.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

generalposter wrote:Capital punishment, in my mind, is a fair trade for any police officers life when there is proof of guilt. Given the location of the crime in question, there is probably security footage of the whole event.

I guess what I'm getting at is that we Canadians need to harden up. Often these blights take their own life before we can deal with them.

Unfortunately capital punishment won't be reinstated any time soon.

Return to “B.C.”