47957
45622

Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 7th, 2017, 3:35 pm


Cactusflower likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2497 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 7th, 2017, 4:28 pm

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/0 ... llion-year

There's a good reason why we should all be blocking this pipeline. From the above link:
"BC motorists will end up paying more than $100 million a year because of increased transportation costs approved by the NEB to pay for a pipeline the majority of British Columbians do not want. The $25 million that Premier Clark says she negotiated as a 'fair sharing of benefits' in the legally non-binding memorandum of understanding with Kinder Morgan pales by comparison. The net cost of $75 million per year to British Columbia provides another glaring example of how the private interests of some of Premier Clark's largest financial donors take priority over the economic interests of British Columbians."

Read the entire link, please.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1291
Likes: 590 posts
Liked in: 272 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 7th, 2017, 4:50 pm

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/03/27/opinion/trans-mountain-expansion-will-cost-bc-motorists-over-100-million-year
Read the entire link, please.


YES, PLease do read the entire opinion piece that was written and published in MARCH 2017. Why wait until now to bring this forward?
Some are just soooo slow on the uptake of information. Has this study been concluded? Has the project been approved? What is the current status of this project?
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 776
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 443 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby Veovis » Nov 7th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Heard this one on the radio this morning. It's rather interesting.

One one side the delay might be normal, however if there is an individual causing this delay for personal belief reasons it is absolutely Walls right to question that fact.

Since it has been an abnormal delay and that the lower mainland is prone to emotional moves this could be a the case. However should they find that the accusation was false, only at that time would it warrant an apology from Wall.


If you asked people you'd probably get a survey that had 2 main answers

Right wing "I agree Wall should push back against this"

Left wing "I support Burnaby in doing this"


2% might actual ask "is there a legit delay"?

Walking Wounded likes this post.
Veovis
Guru
 
Posts: 5232
Likes: 640 posts
Liked in: 3141 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 7th, 2017, 5:27 pm

The legit delay is called climate change and oil spill :smt045
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16001
Likes: 9976 posts
Liked in: 2497 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 7th, 2017, 5:44 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/03/27/opinion/trans-mountain-expansion-will-cost-bc-motorists-over-100-million-year
Read the entire link, please.


YES, PLease do read the entire opinion piece that was written and published in MARCH 2017. Why wait until now to bring this forward?
Some are just soooo slow on the uptake of information. Has this study been concluded? Has the project been approved? What is the current status of this project?


As usual, you have kept your head buried firmly in....... the sand, and know nothing about the Kinder Morgan expansion. Perhaps if you read the article you wouldn't have to ask stupid questions.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1291
Likes: 590 posts
Liked in: 272 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 7th, 2017, 5:53 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/03/27/opinion/trans-mountain-expansion-will-cost-bc-motorists-over-100-million-year
Read the entire link, please.


YES, PLease do read the entire opinion piece that was written and published in MARCH 2017. Why wait until now to bring this forward?
Some are just soooo slow on the uptake of information. Has this study been concluded? Has the project been approved? What is the current status of this project?


Cactusflower wrote:As usual, you have kept your head buried firmly in....... the sand, and know nothing about the Kinder Morgan expansion. Perhaps if you read the article you wouldn't have to ask stupid questions.


Really? Please tell me where I have asked a stupid question and please provide an appropriate answer for my low level IQ to be able to understand.

What do you know about the Kinder Morgan expansion that is not contained within the link, that you provided, and published 8 months ago?

Why so hostile?
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 776
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 443 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby seewood » Nov 7th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Pipeline is safer than the inevitable rail cars if this is delayed much longer.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

2 people like this post.
seewood
Board Meister
 
Posts: 407
Likes: 392 posts
Liked in: 375 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby twobits » Nov 7th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.nationalobserver.com/2017/03/27/opinion/trans-mountain-expansion-will-cost-bc-motorists-over-100-million-year

There's a good reason why we should all be blocking this pipeline. From the above link:
"BC motorists will end up paying more than $100 million a year because of increased transportation costs approved by the NEB to pay for a pipeline the majority of British Columbians do not want. The $25 million that Premier Clark says she negotiated as a 'fair sharing of benefits' in the legally non-binding memorandum of understanding with Kinder Morgan pales by comparison. The net cost of $75 million per year to British Columbia provides another glaring example of how the private interests of some of Premier Clark's largest financial donors take priority over the economic interests of British Columbians."

Read the entire link, please.


It's a flawed article and presumption. You would see that if you understood squat about commodities pricing. Gasoline prices are not set by the price of crude or the cost of transportation. They are inputs fer sure but but the real price is set by supply and demand in the commodity markets as gasoline is a commodity. The cost of transportation is squat in the overall picture but only the naive like yourself will latch onto any straw and try to spin it into gold to support your flawed understanding of pretty much anything you do not agree with.
The only danger to gas prices comes from the govt's willingness to add taxes to it in the form of carbon taxes and the likes of Mayor Gregor's transit and bike lane fee's. Besides that, it is all free market pricing.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 5847
Likes: 476 posts
Liked in: 2091 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 7th, 2017, 6:33 pm

seewood wrote:Pipeline is safer than the inevitable rail cars if this is delayed much longer.


However, KM supporters fail to recognize other risks:

The City of Vancouver, in its submissions to the National Energy Board, tabled a report showing the risk of a marine oil spill in the 50-year life of the project is between 16 and 67 per cent. The city argued the risk is too high because a spill could cost the economy hundreds of millions of dollars, and the environment would be devastated with the deaths of more than 100,000 sea and shorebirds. Harbour seal and salmon populations could be decimated, and the endangered southern resident killer whale population would be at risk of extinction.

The Concerned Professional Engineers, a group with expertise in the design, construction, and operation of the systems for moving marine goods such as oil, said even using Kinder Morgan's data translates into a 10-per-cent chance of a 8.25 million-litre heavy oil spill over the project's operating life. However, they say that figure is conservative because the risk of a tanker colliding with one of the three bridges along the route in Vancouver's harbour have not been adequately calculated.

The Globe and Mail followed the Eser K through the most hazardous stretch in B.C. waters, a 10-hour journey spanning 80 nautical miles, to observe those risks and the mitigation measures in place.


The rest:

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/b ... dmail.com&
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?

2 people like this post.
User avatar
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19268
Likes: 5024 posts
Liked in: 5689 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:56 am

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby hobbyguy » Nov 9th, 2017, 10:57 am

The sleazy demovictions Derek Corrigan is setting the City of Burnaby up for a massive lawsuit.

KM are boxing him in, and in typical NDP fashion he doesn't see it coming.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 6587
Likes: 1669 posts
Liked in: 5603 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby Veovis » Nov 9th, 2017, 4:16 pm

IT doesn't matter if you like or hate this pipeline. What matters is if there is actual malfeasance by governing officials in Burnaby for personal beliefs that are directly interfering with this issue.

There's been enough argument as to whether the pipeline should happen, this topic isn't that. This is about Burnaby and if a few people are abusing their positions for private reasons.

As I said, if the delay is legit, Wall can apologies, if it is not, they should be immediately removed from their position and charges examined.

Any official abusing a position should be punished for such actions at all levels, it doesn't matter if they "felt morally right". Thinking you are morally right does not allow you to act immorally.

What if the same guy revoked the permits for 5 mosques in Burnaby next week as he felt that too was something he personally disagreed with? Get the issue yet?

2 people like this post.
Veovis
Guru
 
Posts: 5232
Likes: 640 posts
Liked in: 3141 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 9th, 2017, 4:42 pm

I think the issue is this: Suppose the Kinder Morgan expansion was re-routed to go through your backyard. And suppose that you, being a supporter of the pipeline woke up one morning to find your backyard swimming pool full of diluted bitumen from a leak that happened overnight. Would you say, "Oh, that's okay, I'll just clean this mess up myself and call KM or Trans Mountain to come and fix the leak. I sure wouldn't want those refineries in WA State to go without AB product. After all, they provide us with much of that refined product, since most of our refineries have been closed due to lack of crude."

Sure you would. [icon_lol2.gif]
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1291
Likes: 590 posts
Liked in: 272 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby mikest2 » Nov 9th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Cactusflower wrote:I think the issue is this: Suppose the Kinder Morgan expansion was re-routed to go through your backyard. And suppose that you, being a supporter of the pipeline woke up one morning to find your backyard swimming pool full of diluted bitumen from a leak that happened overnight. Would you say, "Oh, that's okay, I'll just clean this mess up myself and call KM or Trans Mountain to come and fix the leak. I sure wouldn't want those refineries in WA State to go without AB product. After all, they provide us with much of that refined product, since most of our refineries have been closed due to lack of crude."

Sure you would. [icon_lol2.gif]

More likely, I'd think I just won the lottery...........
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Board Meister
 
Posts: 688
Likes: 412 posts
Liked in: 777 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Re: Burnaby blocking pipeline?

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 9th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Cactusflower wrote:I think the issue is this: Suppose the Kinder Morgan expansion was re-routed to go through your backyard. And suppose that you, being a supporter of the pipeline woke up one morning to find your backyard swimming pool full of diluted bitumen from a leak that happened overnight. Would you say, "Oh, that's okay, I'll just clean this mess up myself and call KM or Trans Mountain to come and fix the leak. I sure wouldn't want those refineries in WA State to go without AB product. After all, they provide us with much of that refined product, since most of our refineries have been closed due to lack of crude."

Sure you would. [icon_lol2.gif]


Now, how about, that get's rephased WITHOUT the maybes, perhaps, suppose, possibly, and private back yards?
It's a REALLY big stretch from a personal, back yard swimming pool and lack of crude between Alberta and Washington state.
Kinder Morgan spends millions of $$$$ on a pipeline and do you not believe that they wouldn't buy your house or pump out your pool IF it leaked? That is why they have Billions of $$$$$$$ in insurance to cover a simple back-yard pool leak.
What is left?
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 776
Likes: 233 posts
Liked in: 443 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Next

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ferri, hobbyguy, The Green Barbarian and 5 guests