What will Horgan do with Site C?

What will John Horgan do with the Site C dam project?

He'll cancel it
28%
He'll allow it to be completed
72%

Total votes: 58

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: What will Horgan do with Site C?

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:But I'm against this dam, not for that reason, but because I've lived through the environmental destruction of the 1960s dams, and I don't want to see it happen again.
You're in a very small minority of people who were/are opposed to the dams that were built by WAC Bennett. The CCF/NDP leader at the time, Robert Strachan, was certainly opposed and that's one of the reasons that Bennett was premier for twenty years.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Merry wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:[ My most important reason is that we don't need any more of these behemoths that destroy land and lives.

And yet you support wind farms, which can also have a negative impact on land and lives:
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/locals ... zmir-74236

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/08/16/this- ... d-turbines

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... _over.html

Merry, have you ever cruised the Williston reservoir? Well, I have, and you could put enough wind farms in that 1,761 sq. km. area to power the entire province, and then some. And you wouldn't have destroyed the land and the lives that were destroyed by the flooding of those 251 kms. It wasn't just the livelihoods of the landowners and First Nations that were lost; much of the wildlife lost their lives as well. People up there recall dozens of moose carcasses floating in the reservoir, for just one example.

People in the lower half of B.C. don't realize what's at stake up there in the Peace country. Between the fracking and the flooding, we are losing everything that was good about northern B.C.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Having lived in the North for most of my life I do understand your concern for the loss of wildlife habitat and the natural landscape. And I also understand your concern for the people who the dam will displace. But that said, when I look at places that were flooded in the past, the wildlife have eventually recovered, nature has once more created a beautiful landscape, and the people have moved on to different but equally worthwhile lives.

Wind and Solar can and do cause their own problems when it comes to being a blight on the landscape. When I return to my native Britain and see the ugliness caused by such facilities, I'd hate to see that happen on such a large scale here. The dams I have visited over the years are quite nice when compared to the sight of an ugly wind farm.

In addition to which, as someone who lives on a fixed income, I do have a fear of our electricity bills going up as much as they did in Ontario. Because there is no way I can afford to pay those kind of prices.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:People in the lower half of B.C. don't realize what's at stake up there in the Peace country. Between the fracking and the flooding, we are losing everything that was good about northern B.C.

So did the residents of Peace River North and Peace River South elect NDP MLA's? If they're opposed to the Site C dam they must have, eh? What say you?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:But I'm against this dam, not for that reason, but because I've lived through the environmental destruction of the 1960s dams, and I don't want to see it happen again.
You're in a very small minority of people who were/are opposed to the dams that were built by WAC Bennett. The CCF/NDP leader at the time, Robert Strachan, was certainly opposed and that's one of the reasons that Bennett was premier for twenty years.

To be honest, Urb, I didn't give much thought to the WAC Bennett dam when it was being built. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess, much like many people in southern B.C. are experiencing with Site C right now. Or would be if there wasn't such a big political kerfuffle going on. The only ones that concerned me were the ones on the Columbia River, and I'm not going to bore you with my personal story of what happened at the Arrow Lakes again.

So please don't assume that I was opposed to the dams of the WAC Bennett era. I was opposed to the lies they told in order to expropriate some of those lands. You can go to your public library and find several books on the subject, if you're interested.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:So please don't assume that I was opposed to the dams of the WAC Bennett era. I was opposed to the lies they told in order to expropriate some of those lands. You can go to your public library and find several books on the subject, if you're interested.

Come again?? You just said this:

I've lived through the environmental destruction of the 1960s dams

So either you like what you call "environmental destruction" or you're contradicting yourself. Make up your mind.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Merry wrote:Having lived in the North for most of my life I do understand your concern for the loss of wildlife habitat and the natural landscape. And I also understand your concern for the people who the dam will displace. But that said, when I look at places that were flooded in the past, the wildlife have eventually recovered, nature has once more created a beautiful landscape, and the people have moved on to different but equally worthwhile lives.

Wind and Solar can and do cause their own problems when it comes to being a blight on the landscape. When I return to my native Britain and see the ugliness caused by such facilities, I'd hate to see that happen on such a large scale here. The dams I have visited over the years are quite nice when compared to the sight of an ugly wind farm.

In addition to which, as someone who lives on a fixed income, I do have a fear of our electricity bills going up as much as they did in Ontario. Because there is no way I can afford to pay those kind of prices.

I'm on a fixed income as well, but I'm of the opinion that we're going to paying more for our energy in the future no matter what. BC Hydro is in dire straits because their profits were 'stolen' by the previous government, and we the people are going to pay the price.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

maryjane48 wrote:Yea merry the answer is you can make your own power. No bills end of story

Bull crap and you damn well know it
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:So please don't assume that I was opposed to the dams of the WAC Bennett era. I was opposed to the lies they told in order to expropriate some of those lands. You can go to your public library and find several books on the subject, if you're interested.

So either you like what you call "environmental destruction" or you're contradicting yourself. Make up your mind.

Are you always this argumentative? LOL, what a silly question. Okay, I'll try to put it in a way you can understand. There is no denying that flooding hundreds of sq. kms. of land and hundreds of kms. of river is destructive. Back in the mid-20th century, we watched it happen with only the ones who were actually affected by it making a fuss, because we thought that in the name of progress, it was necessary.

It's not necessary anymore. We have advanced technology that can give us alternative renewable energy without the destruction for about the same cost, or less, depending on who is doing the installations.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Urbane wrote:

Someone just can't seem to keep their story straight, makes it very frustrating trying to have a meaningful debate when one side keeps changing their story.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Cactusflower wrote:We have advanced technology that can give us alternative renewable energy without the destruction for about the same cost, or less, depending on who is doing the installations.

Well it should be easy for you to answer HG's challenge then, but you still haven't, why not? Because it's not out there, not yet anyway. So please stop with the absolute BS. You can read all you want from the snake oil salesmen about how cheap wind and solar are. But real life says different from them, wind and solar are to damn expensive and do not work 24/7 365 days a year.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Walking Wounded wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:We have advanced technology that can give us alternative renewable energy without the destruction for about the same cost, or less, depending on who is doing the installations.

Well it should be easy for you to answer HG's challenge then, but you still haven't, why not? Because it's not out there, not yet anyway. So please stop with the absolute BS. You can read all you want from the snake oil salesmen about how cheap wind and solar are. But real life says different from them, wind and solar are to damn expensive and do not work 24/7 365 days a year.

Do you never get tired of that same old shtick? Whenever someone puts up a good defense, you never fail to fall back on your BC Hydro talking points. How about a REAL challenge for a change?
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Cactusflower wrote:
Do you never get tired of that same old shtick? Whenever someone puts up a good defense, you never fail to fall back on your BC Hydro talking points. How about a REAL challenge for a change?

That's quite funny coming from someone who can't keep their story straight from one post to the next. Your the one making the outragious claim that alternatives are the same price or cheaper than hydro so you prove it. I won't hold my breath for that post though.
Still waiting for that good defence you mentioned.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Walking Wounded wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

That's quite funny coming from someone who can't keep their story straight from one post to the next. Your the one making the outragious claim that alternatives are the same price or cheaper than hydro so you prove it. I won't hold my breath for that post though.
Still waiting for that good defence you mentioned.

I have never changed my story. I simply add a few inconvenient truths for you to gnaw on.You, on the other hand, never change your boring old 'windy solar challenge'. How about posting a link from something other than the BC Hydro website?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote: Whenever someone puts up a good defense

when??? where?????
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”