What will Horgan do with Site C?

What will John Horgan do with the Site C dam project?

He'll cancel it
28%
He'll allow it to be completed
72%

Total votes: 58

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: What will Horgan do with Site C?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

butcher99 wrote: I have said that if it comes in at todays figures and time line I will come back and admit I was wrong. How about you do the same?
No takers? GB ? Smurf?

How about you just admit that you are dead wrong about solar and wind, and then everyone can be happy?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Boggles my mind to think the vocal opponents believe shutting down Site C and wasting $4 billion with nothing to show for it and the inevitable increase in Hydro rates, is a great idea????
Good on Horgan in making the right decision...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Apparently the Castanet voters are very intellegent for their predictions, when it comes to Site C. Here are the final results before Horgan made the announcement this morning. There is much to be learned from the Castanet forum contributors.
Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

"Still waiting for anyone cheering for this to say that they will come back and apologize if it turns out that the shut it down side was correct. I have said that if it comes in at todays figures and time line I will come back and admit I was wrong. How about you do the same?"

Well, I for one would be certainly willing to apologize if by 2034 Site C has not proven itself. However, by that time I will long since thrown off earth's mortal coils and be sleeping in the dust. However, by that time I would hope that BC Hydro system includes not only dispatchable hydroelectric generation but non-dispatchable solar and wind generation along with Combined Cycle Natural Gas Generation plants. These alternative energy generation systems must be owned and developed by BC Hydro and not be IPP's.

I would be interested in hearing from the Site C opponents as to how BC Hydro and the Province should proceed after 2024.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

seewood wrote:Boggles my mind to think the vocal opponents believe shutting down Site C and wasting $4 billion with nothing to show for it and the inevitable increase in Hydro rates, is a great idea????

You could look at it this way. It is already at 10.7 billion with YEARS yet to go. It is behind time and way off budget already.
We do not even know if it is needed. We may end up with a 15 billion dollar edifice to Liberal stupidity and 15 billion thrown away. boils down to do you think site C is really needed and if needed the best choice.
I still believe that $4 billion thrown away in the long run might just be the wisest choice although not politically for the NDP and thats always the rub isnlt it. The same reason it was started. Politics

Cheaper power is coming onstream as evidenced by long term contracts signed at prices that site C cannot even get close to.
Last edited by butcher99 on Dec 11th, 2017, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

I still don't quite see how our 'premier on a technicality' deserves any love. Will he start another great project? Will he build an important bridge? Is his claim to fame be simply that he agrees with the conservatives (BC Libs)?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Bchydro should be disbanded .clark should be in jail and john should get a backbone implanted . Hopefully the scoc rules in favour of injunction which based on peel river ruling is great chance they will .

Then after that alll.rightwing partys made against the law. [icon_lol2.gif]
After it hits 30 billion people will clue in .

Rates will be going up and up and up .bchydro applied under corrupt clark to get increases. So spineless john just guarenteed it today .

Hope hes ashamed of himself
Plus he had the gall to say im not first politician to walk all ovrr first nstions like that somehow made it better

:smt045
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

erinmore3775 wrote:While some here believe that Horgan has "... proved he has no spine .green will win next election..." , I respectfully beg to differ. Horgan has shown that not only does he have a political backbone but that he is astute enough to realize the fiscal and economic benefits of continuing the project. He believes that the benefits outweigh the liabilities.
He has also "...pledged that a new B.C. Food Security Fund would be created based on Site C revenues. This would be "dedicated to supporting farming and enhancing agricultural innovation and productivity in the province".

He also promised a new "Project Assurance Board". It "will provide enhanced oversight to future contract procurement and management, project deliverables, environmental integrity, and quality assurance—all within the mandate of delivering the project on time and budget".

In addition, Horgan has promised a "community benefits programs, mandated with making sure that project benefits assist local communities, and increasing the number of apprentices and First Nations workers hired onto the project".

https://www.straight.com/news/1006661/premier-john-horgan-says-ndp-government-will-complete-construction-site-c-dam

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/12/11/No-Magic-Solution-Horgan-on-Approving-Site-C/

Weaver, on the other hand, has chosen to remain a political jellyfish. He offered only blanket criticism of Site C and he did not or has not offered an alternative that outlined a fiscally responsible economic energy plan for the next 20 years. That is not leadership. If he became Premier after the next election as some here have predicted, his policies would follow the direction of the prevailing wind. If you want to be a leader you have to show leadership. At this time give credit to Horgan. He has shown leadership. He has made a difficult decision. I just hope he has the backbone to continue to make the hard decisions that are on the horizon with Health and Education.

Well written, well thought out, and very succinct. GREAT JOB erinmore. Thank you very much for your post on behalf of myself and many others.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

kelownman wrote:I am waiting for the liberal sycophants to applaud the NDP and the Premier for completing a liberal initiative that will cost ratepayers over the next 50 + years to pay off the BILLIONS of dollars in cost overruns!....

....waiting for the liberals :cuss: to cheer the ndp.....

waiting....

still waiting!.... :biggrin:

Well Kelownaman? I haven't seen the whole thread yet, did the applause ever come, or was it polite golf clapping?

I was working during the announcement and thought, "OH God the Site C threads are going to explode!" Not disappointed.
Premier Horgan, damned if he cancelled it, damned if he kept it alive.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

With (if not affordable) supreme electrical power comes supreme ...

-Some chick, Shelly I think.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

maryjane48 wrote:Who cares ? Weaver will be next bc govt solar and wind is the future no matter what and as more and more places bring them online it will be you and your corrupt buddys wondering why no one is using site c .30 bilion in debt is comming
Now like i said what will horgan do to try and square this with his base. Because none of it is happy ? 20 dollar min wage ? Basic income ? Clark in jail ? We both know he is going have to do something because everyone that voted for him hates him today almost as,much as clark

If your true colours weren't shown before, they definitely are now. You sound like a spoiled brat.

There is nothing in your post that is even a remote possibility of coming true.
Last edited by Buckeye19 on Dec 11th, 2017, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

butcher99 wrote:
seewood wrote:Boggles my mind to think the vocal opponents believe shutting down Site C and wasting $4 billion with nothing to show for it and the inevitable increase in Hydro rates, is a great idea????

You could look at it this way. It is already at 10.7 billion with YEARS yet to go. It is behind time and way off budget already.
We do not even know if it is needed. We may end up with a 15 billion dollar edifice to Liberal stupidity and 15 billion thrown away. boils down to do you think site C is really needed and if needed the best choice.
I still believe that $4 billion thrown away in the long run might just be the wisest choice although not politically for the NDP and thats always the rub isnlt it. The same reason it was started. Politics

Cheaper power is coming onstream as evidenced by long term contracts signed at prices that site C cannot even get close to.

Yeah yeah cheaper long term contracts that you brought up earlier, and were ripped apart upon closer inspection.

You still believe Ontario has cheaper electricity rates, so that says more than enough.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

butcher99 wrote:seems the 8.5 billion I quoted is already out of date. From the castanet story about the decision.

"Initially pegged at a cost of $8.3 billion, the government now estimated the project will cost $10.7 billion to finish. Once it’s finished, the dam will flood approximately 5,500 hectares along the Peace River."

That shouldn't surprise you, when it's the NDP that began stalling tactics before even being sworn in, and played a key role in preventing a highway from being relocated, result of which majorly affected the timeline.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Minus your childish classless,remark why wont it happen ? Horgan knows he hss,his base mad. So he will make it up somehow and those ideas,i put forth are,easy to do . :smt045
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

maryjane48 wrote:Bchydro should be disbanded .clark should be in jail and john should get a backbone implanted . Hopefully the scoc rules in favour of injunction which based on peel river ruling is great chance they will .

Then after that alll.rightwing partys made against the law. [icon_lol2.gif]
After it hits 30 billion people will clue in .

Rates will be going up and up and up .bchydro applied under corrupt clark to get increases. So spineless john just guarenteed it today .

Hope hes ashamed of himself
Plus he had the gall to say im not first politician to walk all ovrr first nstions like that somehow made it better

:smt045

This post crosses the line of all that is decent on these forums. Disgusting.

Return to “B.C.”