All First Nation reserves in support of Kinder Morgan

hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: All First Nation reserves in support of Kinder Morgan

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ because people who truly believe in protecting our environment tend to be conservationists, not enviro-radicals. There is no way that a thinking serious person can embrace the NDP and their radical and short sighted LEAPers.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Merry wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough. My point about the SK professor was that SK has some skin in the game. Brad Wall has made that perfectly clear and I'm sure, as with all Premiers, he has his supporters.

Point taken, but I'm sure that the things the Professor said about how the constitution defines the roles and responsibilities of the Feds and the Provinces are accurate, because he knows how easy it would be to discredit him if he lied about it. And no University Professor wants to be caught out playing fast and loose with facts, because it would destroy his reputation and ultimately his career. Therefore, regardless of which side of the political fence this particular Professor may sit, I think we can safely assume that his comments relating to the constitution in that article are correct.

the federal government should stop being hypocrites.

I do agree that the Trudeau Government is trying to "suck and blow" at the same time. Which is the consequence of trying to "play both sides of the fence" in the last General Election. It won them the election, but now they're having a hard time living up to all those contradictory promises.

But that said, it didn't take a genius to figure that Trudeau couldn't possibly appease BOTH sides of this political divide, despite all his lofty promises. So, knowing that, I have to wonder why so many people fell for his whoppers and voted for him. Those who wanted to see the environment given priority over the oil industry should have voted NDP en masse, yet they didn't. Why is that?

I didn't fall for his whoppers, Merry. Did you? I voted for the party that has a history of protecting our environment, and I was disgusted when I saw the election results. But, back to the topic at hand:

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cl ... itory.html

CAPP and their supporters can brag until the cows come home about how Alberta has lowered their GHG emissions. The truth of the matter is that the oil price crash was the only reason GHG emissions were reduced in AB. Now that the price is on the rise again, and especially if these export pipelines go ahead, we will see GHG emissions in AB rise right along with it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:I voted for the party that has a history of protecting our environment, and I was disgusted when I saw the election results.

I voted for the party that has a history of protecting our economy, and I was disgusted when I saw the election results.

CAPP and their supporters can brag until the cows come home about how Alberta has lowered their GHG emissions. The truth of the matter is that the oil price crash was the only reason GHG emissions were reduced in AB. Now that the price is on the rise again, and especially if these export pipelines go ahead, we will see GHG emissions in AB rise right along with it.

I really hope that GHG emissions increase in Alberta, whatever those are. It means that the economy, despite the NDP's best efforts, is coming back in Alberta, and that's a great thing.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Interesting point for the NDP narrative spinners:

The BC Liberals did far more to really protect the environment than the NDP ever did. Some of it very quietly, some of it not so quietly.

The 6.4 million hectares protected by the BC Liberals in the Great Bear Rain Forest is perhaps the most significant real environmental protection act in decades.

Since 2000 when the NDP were booted roughly 75 new provincial parks have been set aside.

Preserving what is left of our wilderness does more to protect the environment than all the plastic kayak protests in the world.

The BC Liberals officially opposed the Northern Gateway pipeline - betcha a lot of plastic kayak protestors don't choose to remember that. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-officially-opposes-enbridge-northern-gateway-pipeline-1.1386317

The BC Liberals brought in the first carbon tax in Canada - and made it mostly revenue neutral (the BC NDP grubbers have completely abandoned the revenue neutrality).

The BC Liberals shut down most of GHG emitting electrical generation in the province. (Which the NDP opposed at the time! - and are even talking about resurrecting as a way to cover up the shortfalls of the silly wind proposal!)

On balance, the NDP have no record in government that comes close. The NDP narrative that other parties don't care about the environment is just plain rubbish political posturing.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:
Since 2000 when the NDP were booted roughly 75 new provincial parks have been set aside.

The NDP were actually booted out in 2001. I know because that was one of the best days of my life.

The BC Liberals brought in the first carbon tax in Canada - and made it mostly revenue neutral (the BC NDP grubbers have completely abandoned the revenue neutrality).

I personally find the carbon tax to be stupid and useless. How is this benefiting the environment in any way? Why am I paying taxes on my natural gas heating? Its so stupid!! Natural gas is completely clean burning and doesn't harm the environment!!! SO DUMB

The BC Liberals shut down most of GHG emitting electrical generation in the province..

I don't know or care what GHG is but I do think that pushing hydro power is the smartest thing to do. For that the BC Liberals should be commended.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

If'n yer in the middle like I am, it appears prudent to do what we realistically can to reduce CO2 emissions.

The carbon tax, when applied in a pretty much revenue neutral way, is effective in doing so. Replacing fossil fuel electricity generation with hydroelectric is effective. Preserving wilderness is effective.

The rest is all pretty much posturing and "virtue signaling".
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:If'n yer in the middle like I am, it appears prudent to do what we realistically can to reduce CO2 emissions.

".

I honestly don't know what you are talking about. CO2 emissions? CO2 is a harmless gas that is required by all plant life to live. I don't get it. But that being said, I support the cheapest way to generate electricity that will help all of mankind, including our poorest segment of society. That's what drives me. Not fairy tales. Helping the poor. Anyone who opposes Site C hates poor people, and is a racist.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Cactusflower wrote:I didn't fall for his whoppers, Merry. Did you? .

No CF, I didn't vote for Trudeau's Liberals; I voted for Tom Mulcair's NDP. But when the "Leapers" chose to sabotage his chances rather than risk him moving the Party closer to the centre (even though the centre is where most Canadians sit), the NDP lost my vote (and clearly a lot of other votes as well).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ And that's why you see the Alberta NDP (oddly enough joined by the Saskatchewan party and the UCP in Alberta) lined up against the BC NDP who have been co-opted by the LEAPers.

The LEAPers are radicals without any real world view.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Merry wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:I didn't fall for his whoppers, Merry. Did you? .

No CF, I didn't vote for Trudeau's Liberals; I voted for Tom Mulcair's NDP. But when the "Leapers" chose to sabotage his chances rather than risk him moving the Party closer to the centre (even though the centre is where most Canadians sit), the NDP lost my vote (and clearly a lot of other votes as well).

You definitely have a valid point there, but I still think the biggest reason Trudeau won that election was the fact that most everyone was determined to get rid of the Harper clan, and they knew (as history has proven) that voting NDP just wasn't going to do that. Then there was the youth vote that Trudeau worked so tirelessly to win.

However, the NDP has done some serious credibility damage by dumping Mulcair and replacing him with Singh, IMHO. I predict they will lose even more seats in the next election, losing many votes to the Green Party.

How do I tie this into the Kinder Morgan headline? Well, it's all about big business vs. the environment, and we only have two parties in Canada that are 'environmentally-friendly' and they're the NDP and the Greens. They also seem to be serious about First Nations reconciliation. I guess we'll just have to wait and see about that, though.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ professing to be "environmentally friendly" and actually being so are two entirely different things. Much of what I see from the both the Green and NDP parties is little more than vote pandering.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:
How do I tie this into the Kinder Morgan headline? Well, it's all about big business vs. the environment,

or as normal people see it, jobs and economic prosperity vs a bunch of really sanctimonious lunatics preaching doom with no basis for said doom whatsoever. These people are just plain liars, and terrible human beings, and I am saddened that they even exist.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

hobbyguy wrote:^^ professing to be "environmentally friendly" and actually being so are two entirely different things. Much of what I see from the both the Green and NDP parties is little more than vote pandering.

Yes, I read your post about how 'environmentally-friendly' the BC Libs are. The Great Bear Rainforest protection plan that should have been put in place a decade ago wasn't introduced until it became clear that their chances of winning another election was slim. Pot calling the kettle black again?
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Cactusflower wrote:chances of winning another election was slim.
Slim as in got the most seats in the house as a single party?

They won the election. They lost the house.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

I had to make an account to make a response to this. So first off all theres a veritable choose your own adventure of links breaking down the basis of my response with facts, secondly will be this opinion piece;

Really as some who is absolutely left leaning in their politics its not a matter of jobs vs global warming, I mean for one thing a pipeline would be beneficial in the global warming department by reducing fuel usage for transporting the 'oil' (dirty bitumen) that we already ship around the country. Obviously a pipeline is a better move than a train, everything on that front looks better.

Where I draw issue with it however, as shown in the jobs and economic prosperity section, is I have almost zero faith in the companies responsible to make a durable well made pipeline. I expect corners and costs to be cut everywhere in a short sighted rush to pad the pockets of every person that has a bonus or bribe riding on it. Also it doesn't provide a lot of long term jobs, and really just seems like a guarantee of increased damage to our coast line from dumped oil. Which will happen eventually if we ramp up shipping of it from those ports. Sure you don't really care about the environmental costs but I hope most people can agree that its nicer to have a thriving environment to pursue outdoor activities in than a polluted oil wrecked wasteland would be. A hyperbolic argument? Possibly, but it is inarguable that oil is bad for things, and it seems incredibly likely that at some point a tanker will have an issue of some sort.

My last link while obviously being a bit of a jab is definitely representative of your post since you pretty much just called people a bunch of names, slandered their argument in a broad and general fashion and didn't really respond other than that.

Anyway its been an honour speaking with you Mr Trump
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “B.C.”