Oil by rail can be safer

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Oil by rail can be safer

Post by alanjh595 »

It is estimated that about 12 million barrels of oil a year are used in making the plastic bags used in the US.

An average American throws away about 10 bags a week. That’s 520 bags a year–a fuel equivalent of 60 miles of driving.

The 10 largest oil producers and share of total world oil production in 2016
Capture.JPG

The 10 largest oil consumers and share of total world oil consumption in 2015
Capture2.JPG

This need is not going to go away. Let's think about when water and sewer used to come and go by truck, and now it is delivered or taken away by pipelines.
That really doesn't work anymore because nobody has a back yard to get a pump truck to to suck out the septic tank or fill a cistern. Pipelines make sense.

Edited for wrong titles on previous post. Thanks for letting me know Fluffy.
Bring back the LIKE button.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:Facts are pipelines have killed more people by large margin :smt045

LOL
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

fluffy wrote:alanjh595, are you sure you have those tables labeled correctly? It looks to me like they're backwards.

Yes, they are backwards. But that didn't stop the anti-pipeliners from trying to sell it as a narrative. China uses 12 million barrels of oil a day, which is remarkably low considering their population. They burn a lot of coal.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

This is how safe rail is...........
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#212402

I guess we can thank our lucky stars that this wasn't a fuel tanker train.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

What about the 5000 barrels that just leaked from pipeline ? They could only recover 20 percent .

As,for green laughing facts say pipeline have killed more people in canada than rail cars with oil . I proved it :smt045
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

No you didn't.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Transporting diluted bitumen by rail, pipeline or truck is unsafe. Most reasonable people know this, so why does this debate continue?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

because theres nothing unsafe about transporting it through pipelines
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

LTD wrote:because theres nothing unsafe about transporting it through pipelines

Tell that to the residents of AB, SK, and practically every state in the US where oil pipelines are found. Oh, and don't forget Burnaby. There's an entire neighbourhood there who won't be happy with a repeat of that mess in 2007.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Cactusflower wrote:
Tell that to the residents of AB, SK, and practically every state in the US where oil pipelines are found. Oh, and don't forget Burnaby. There's an entire neighbourhood there who won't be happy with a repeat of that mess in 2007.

I'd rather do that then be the eco-lunatic who has to go to the people of Lac Megantique and try to explain why they are stupidly against pipelines. Good luck with that.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Cactusflower wrote:
LTD wrote:because theres nothing unsafe about transporting it through pipelines

are you referring to the incident in Burnaby where a *bleep* punctured the pipeline with an excavator if so I wouldn't consider that a problem with the pipeline but feel free to keep grasping at those straws pipelines are the safest way to move oil period get over it
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Cactusflower wrote:

LTD wrote:are you referring to the incident in Burnaby where a *bleep* punctured the pipeline with an excavator if so I wouldn't consider that a problem with the pipeline but feel free to keep grasping at those straws pipelines are the safest way to move oil period get over it

It matters not who was to blame; what matters is there was a devastating pipeline breach. If the pipeline wasn't there, the breach would not have happened, period. Get over it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

LTD wrote:are you referring to the incident in Burnaby where a *bleep* punctured the pipeline with an excavator if so I wouldn't consider that a problem with the pipeline but feel free to keep grasping at those straws pipelines are the safest way to move oil period get over it

It matters not who was to blame; what matters is there was a devastating pipeline breach. If the pipeline wasn't there, the breach would not have happened, period. Get over it.

If the backhoe wasn't there, there would be no issue either.
That's like blaming a tree for a car crash. Just like the police report says, "I swerved several times before I hit the tree".
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^I see. Now you're saying that backhoes should be banned from operating in B.C. That makes perfect sense to the dilbit pipeline enthusiasts, I guess.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Cactusflower wrote:Tell that to the residents of AB, SK, and practically every state in the US where oil pipelines are found. Oh, and don't forget Burnaby. There's an entire neighbourhood there who won't be happy with a repeat of that mess in 2007.

Cactusflower wrote:It matters not who was to blame; what matters is there was a devastating pipeline breach. If the pipeline wasn't there, the breach would not have happened, period. Get over it.

alanjh595 wrote:If the backhoe wasn't there, there would be no issue either.
That's like blaming a tree for a car crash. Just like the police report says, "I swerved several times before I hit the tree".

It's beginning to feel like a fool's errand, attempting to get points across to an audience where the lights are on but nobody's home.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “B.C.”