First Nations left empty-handed

Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: First Nations left empty-handed

Post by Verum »

hobbyguy wrote:So because you don't happen to agree with Mr. Ross, the NDPers start to smear him? Nice.

This article paints an entirely different picture: https://www.biv.com/article/2012/10/ellis-ross-executive-chief/

And this interview gives a more balanced insight: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/cashing-in-and-selling-out-1.2157365

I hope that wasn't directed at me, not least because I'm not really a fan of the NDP. I just know a bit about Ross, and not much of it is positive. The facts speak for themselves, he couldn't even win the support of his own band and I have no doubt that if they held him in the high esteem that many here seem to think they do, that he would have won their support easily and with a large margin. He was a deeply divisive chief councillor and it shows. His words crying out for the injury done to the First Nations people ring hollow and empty. I have little doubt that he is a somewhat shrewd businessman, but we all know that politics, leadership and business aren't always all the same thing.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

maryjane48 wrote: Actualy your wrong as i know lots people from that band and i know mr ross.

Actually, I spent more than 14 years living and working directly in the criminal justice system in that area, and unlike yourself, my experience is recent. I knew lots of people - from the professionals I associated with, to the people we supervised (mostly First Nations) on Court Orders. You do not have the insight you think you have. I have a very good idea of what has been happening in that region and the positive changes that have occurred due to economic progress. I could go on and on about the folly of allowing resentment to cloud your vision, but you will make your own choices for (thankfully only) yourself.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Verum wrote:
hobbyguy wrote:So because you don't happen to agree with Mr. Ross, the NDPers start to smear him? Nice.

This article paints an entirely different picture: https://www.biv.com/article/2012/10/ellis-ross-executive-chief/

And this interview gives a more balanced insight: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/cashing-in-and-selling-out-1.2157365

I hope that wasn't directed at me, not least because I'm not really a fan of the NDP. I just know a bit about Ross, and not much of it is positive. The facts speak for themselves, he couldn't even win the support of his own band and I have no doubt that if they held him in the high esteem that many here seem to think they do, that he would have won their support easily and with a large margin. He was a deeply divisive chief councillor and it shows. His words crying out for the injury done to the First Nations people ring hollow and empty. I have little doubt that he is a somewhat shrewd businessman, but we all know that politics, leadership and business aren't always all the same thing.

Hm. Reading those links, he seems to have been pushing for more independence through taking responsibility for their own futures.

Seems his leadership is more along the lines of a Clarence Louis than a Stewart Phillip: he believes his people are quite capable of forging a far better future for themselves. As I recall, Louis didn't win a second term either, and his band was very divided by his leadership. (IMO, people accustomed to seeing themselves as helpless victims often rebel when they're told they're quite capable of self-sufficiency. Plenty of people, regardless of heritage, are used to collecting money they don't have to earn and are afraid to risk standing on their own two feet. Takes a while to see the benefits of shrugging that off.)

I don't think you can point to Ross not being re-elected as a reason to believe he was not a good leader. Good leaders often do the unpopular things a weaker leader won't have the gumption to do.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Verum wrote: Mr Ross is an MLA and as such no longer speaks for any single band. Much of what I have heard about his past involvement with Kitimaat and the Haisla Nation has been less than positive. There definitely wasn't much shedding of tears there when he resigned as chief councillor.

Remember Gordon Campbell? Remember Stephen Harper? All politicians have their best-before date. :smt045
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Ka-El wrote:Remember Gordon Campbell? Remember Stephen Harper? All politicians have their best-before date. :smt045

And that date is the same as the day they get elected.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

maryjane48 wrote:West moberly and prophet river bands could see their land flooded by bclib govt choice to build a,dam without bcuc review. So if you have a concern for the kitimatt bands plight then you better have concern for peace river bands also . :smt045

Ahhhh yes the West Moberly band, that would be the one that's about 90 miles from the dam. "Their land flooded" my tush.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:A
And if you have concern for that band then wheres your concern for west moberly ? .

where are they located?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:A
And if you have concern for that band then wheres your concern for west moberly ? .

where are they located?

For sure it's not on the Peace River, unless someone renamed it Moberly Lake/Moberly River.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Old Techie wrote:
where are they located?

For sure it's not on the Peace River, unless someone renamed it Moberly Lake/Moberly River.

It would be wise to do a google search of the area before 'assuming' things:
https://www.sitecproject.com/sites/defa ... h_2013.pdf
Last edited by ferri on Nov 17th, 2017, 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Old Techie wrote:
where are they located?

Cactusflower wrote:

I did. Did you look at the map in your link?

I don't see Moberly Lake and that's where that band is located.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Old Techie wrote:

Cactusflower wrote:

Old Techie wrote:I did. Did you look at the map in your link?

I don't see Moberly Lake and that's where that band is located.

You know that the source of the Moberly River is Moberly Lake, and you know that the Moberly River joins the Peace River, and you know that both rivers are going to be impacted by the Site C dam. Why are we even debating this issue?
Last edited by ferri on Nov 17th, 2017, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I'm finding it difficult to understand how Site C will impact the way the Moberly River from flows from Moberly Lake. What are the Band's concerns?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

rustled wrote:I'm finding it difficult to understand how Site C will impact the way the Moberly River from flows from Moberly Lake. What are the Band's concerns?

You find it difficult to understand how the flooding of the Moberly River will adversely affect the FN of that region? Seriously?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Cactusflower wrote:
rustled wrote:I'm finding it difficult to understand how Site C will impact the way the Moberly River from flows from Moberly Lake. What are the Band's concerns?

You find it difficult to understand how the flooding of the Moberly River will adversely affect the FN of that region? Seriously?

Yes, that too. If you're unable to explain how Site C will affect Moberly Lake, please explain how the flooding where the Moberly River joins the Peace River will affect the Moberly Band.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

This case has already been decided in court. No sense to keep beating a dead horse.

The Federal Court of Appeal has dismissed a lawsuit from two B.C. First Nations trying to prevent the Site C dam project from going ahead.

The Prophet River and West Moberly First Nations argue flooding 5,500 hectares of the Peace River valley to make way for the hydroelectric project infringes on their constitutionally-protected treaty rights.

A lawyer for the First Nations argued the federal cabinet should have determined if Site C infringes on treaty rights prior to issuing permits allowing the project to go ahead.

Why B.C.'s Site C dam could become a national issue
Lawyers for the federal government and BC Hydro countered that decisions about treaty rights should be determined in court, not by cabinet.

A panel of three judges led by Justice Richard Boivin agreed, writing that the governor-in-council (cabinet) "does not possess any expertise and is not equipped to determine contested questions of law and complex factual issues" and that it "cannot exercise adjudicative functions".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3948830
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “B.C.”