First Nations left empty-handed

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: First Nations left empty-handed

Post by Glacier »

Cactusflower wrote: Why are you bringing up logging and mining when the discussion concerns the oil and gas industry?

Because logging and mining produce larger footprints into the environment than gas does. But speaking of gas, lots of white people work in Fort St. John (and FN too). Lots even work in Kelowna there, but as soon as remote impoverished FN in some remote place that doesn't have the luxury of the Kelowna International Airport to transport them to the job sites, you're against it. I think FN should also be allowed to develop gas on their land and make money doing so.
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 16th, 2017, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

But thats never the deal the rightwingers offer the firet nation. Its always you guys can have some shiny beads while we europeans fleec the savages . Seems some first nations have forgotten the whitemans ways .all they need to ask is where the buffaloe go ?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Glacier wrote:
Cactusflower wrote: Why are you bringing up logging and mining when the discussion concerns the oil and gas industry?

Because logging and mining produce larger footprints into the environment than gas does. But speaking of gas, lots of white people work in Fort St. John (and FN too). Lots even work in Kelowna there, but as soon as remote impoverished FN in some remote place that doesn't have the luxury of the Kelowna International Airport to transport them to the job sites. I think FN should also be allowed to develop gas on their land and make money doing so.

Not if there's no market for it. British Columbians are not about to keep subsidizing unprofitable projects.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
Not if there's no market for it. British Columbians are not about to keep subsidizing unprofitable projects.

so you are familiar with the concept of subsidizing unprofitable projects? Cool. There is still hope then that you may see just how stupid it is to keep subsidizing solar and wind power.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Glacier wrote:

Because logging and mining produce larger footprints into the environment than gas does. But speaking of gas, lots of white people work in Fort St. John (and FN too). Lots even work in Kelowna there, but as soon as remote impoverished FN in some remote place that doesn't have the luxury of the Kelowna International Airport to transport them to the job sites. I think FN should also be allowed to develop gas on their land and make money doing so.

Nobody has stopped them from doing so. The company responsible said that the low price of natural gas made the project not financially viable. Basically they didn't see a profit in it so they shut it down. W

What seems to be happening here is:

There were protesters.
Prices changed.
The company cancelled the project because of the prices.
Protesters are now being blamed for the cancellation.

But as we all know:

Correlation is not causation.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

so you are familiar with the concept of subsidizing unprofitable projects? Cool. There is still hope then that you may see just how stupid it is to keep subsidizing solar and wind power.

Cough, prices dropping so fast they are disrupting energy markets, cough
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Not quite GB, I think windy solar California has even Ontario beat. But Ontario is starting to see the light - they are in court battling over cancelling wind projects and are now buying hydroelectric power from Quebec as it is much, much cheaper in meeting real world demands.

Part of the real world is that many, many FN communities are in remote/rural areas. They are feeling the same snotty urban know nothing interference as communities like Ft. St. John, where the virtue signaling elitists moved in and trying to disrupt a good project and their prosperity with endless misinformation campaigns.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:Not quite GB, I think windy solar California has even Ontario beat. But Ontario is starting to see the light - they are in court battling over cancelling wind projects and are now buying hydroelectric power from Quebec as it is much, much cheaper in meeting real world demands.

Part of the real world is that many, many FN communities are in remote/rural areas. They are feeling the same snotty urban know nothing interference as communities like Ft. St. John, where the virtue signaling elitists moved in and trying to disrupt a good project and their prosperity with endless misinformation campaigns.

Very true HG.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

maryjane48 wrote: Facts are the band mr ross speaks for has been impovershed because the govts of canada and bc lack of engagment on. Economic issues.

Facts are the Band Mr. Ross speaks for is doing very well thanks to his economic management while Chief, and the agreements the Band entered into with companies like Rio Tinto Alcan and a number of LNG companies. Not only that, but their negotiations and agreements included many provisions for ensuring the environment was not negatively impacted by development. In fact, essentially all of the Environmental Technicians working on those sites are Haisla, making good money after being sponsored for their training with resource company dollars. Those not inclined for schooling are working as labourers, trades people and heavy equipment operators. These people live, work and play in that area. They have a vested interest in protecting the environment. They also understand (as a few of us do) that resource development can be done responsibly, and that economic prosperity is gradually changing the fate of community members. No longer is being born Haisla an automatic sentence of growing up in despair and becoming addicted to alcohol and drugs or ultimately escaping by suicide. Facts are that economic growth is good for the Haisla, and for the region. Some people should really learn the facts.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Actualy your wrong as i know lots people from that band and i know mr ross. He sold out simple as that
Im from that area .i know everyone .you worked there but you dont know the people i do if you .
And if you have concern for that band then wheres your concern for west moberly ? Or the two bands speaking out against the fish farms on their land ?

I could go on and on about the folley of you trying to talk of what first nnations want or deserve but facts are the bclibs tried to take advantage of first nations evrry chance and mr ross is part of it now.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ My wife grew up in Kitimat, the Haisla were dirt poor and going nowhere, but now they are making progress. Happy to see that happen, and don't want to see any phonies like George Heyman get in their way.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Ka-El wrote:
maryjane48 wrote: Facts are the band mr ross speaks for has been impovershed because the govts of canada and bc lack of engagment on. Economic issues.

Facts are the Band Mr. Ross speaks for is doing very well thanks to his economic management while Chief, and the agreements the Band entered into with companies like Rio Tinto Alcan and a number of LNG companies. Not only that, but their negotiations and agreements included many provisions for ensuring the environment was not negatively impacted by development. In fact, essentially all of the Environmental Technicians working on those sites are Haisla, making good money after being sponsored for their training with resource company dollars. Those not inclined for schooling are working as labourers, trades people and heavy equipment operators. These people live, work and play in that area. They have a vested interest in protecting the environment. They also understand (as a few of us do) that resource development can be done responsibly, and that economic prosperity is gradually changing the fate of community members. No longer is being born Haisla an automatic sentence of growing up in despair and becoming addicted to alcohol and drugs or ultimately escaping by suicide. Facts are that economic growth is good for the Haisla, and for the region. Some people should really learn the facts.

Mr Ross is an MLA and as such no longer speaks for any single band. Much of what I have heard about his past involvement with Kitimaat and the Haisla Nation has been less than positive. There definitely wasn't much shedding of tears there when he resigned as chief councillor. Perhaps most damning of all, in the 2017 election, he didn't even win the support of Kitimaat and the Haisla Nation and if I remember correctly, didn't win the support of a single village in his riding. They voted for a different candidate, an older, white university lecturer. Doesn't sound to me as if he really represents the First Nations people.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

So because you don't happen to agree with Mr. Ross, the NDPers start to smear him? Nice.

This article paints an entirely different picture: https://www.biv.com/article/2012/10/ellis-ross-executive-chief/

And this interview gives a more balanced insight: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/cashing-in-and-selling-out-1.2157365
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

hobbyguy wrote:So because you don't happen to agree with Mr. Ross, the NDPers start to smear him? Nice.

This article paints an entirely different picture: https://www.biv.com/article/2012/10/ellis-ross-executive-chief/

And this interview gives a more balanced insight: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/local-news/cashing-in-and-selling-out-1.2157365

You're not doing Mr. Ross any favours by bringing up those news items, especially that one from 5 years ago. Funny how when other commenters provide links to newspaper articles, you scoff at them, but when you do it, everyone should accept them as the gospel truth.

Return to “B.C.”