Shops overbilling ICBC

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Shops overbilling ICBC

Post by Hassel99 »

Jflem1983 wrote:
I ended up with a check covering most of what i owe . In the end i feel like i pay a lot for insurance . Insurance ought to cover the loan.

At the very same time . I am glad to get what i did . I hit the moose in alberta so that added considerably to the time frame in getting it sorted out . I was lucky to walk away with my life

You could have purchased "replacement cost" insurance on the vehicle if you bought it new, it is available from ICBC or private carriers. Agents push it hard as it pays the most commission.

Can cost you around $200-300 per year but will pay your the price you paid for the vehicle so you can avoid the depreciation hit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Was 350 a month. For replacement insurance. Yes bought new. No didnt elect to go for the twice as expensive insurance. As noted i wish i had now. Then again. I bought a cheaper. Much tougher truck. For cash. Kept my ridiculous payments up and soon will owe nothing. My loss i hit a moose. Cant be complaining too loudly .

Way better than if they had done the 35000 dollar repair.

Truck was 1 year and 5 days old. Had 30 2xx km.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

fluffy wrote:
stuphoto wrote:Ypu may or may not know this, but We are not required to buy our optional insurance through ICBC. If you prefer another company just ask your insurance agent what else is out there.
Personally I have the basic including $2,000,000 additional third party. Plus Comp through ICBC but get anything additional through BCAA.

Some options they don't even offer, but you can secure extra insurance through third parties. I drive a cherry of a thirty year old Mercedes. Replacement at least $10K, book value around $2K. When I asked ICBC about insuring it for replacement cost they pointed me to a third party supplier.

I am envious of you, I love the old Mercedes.
They ride better than anything on the road today, corner like a sports car, and you can actually work on them yourself if you wish to.
Although I like my Audi it will never have your cars charm.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Auto-body shops have been over-billing insurance companies since the 2 ever started up in business, its nothing new folks.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

There's optional coverage for that. They usually mention it when first insuring after purchase. Depreciation insurance I believe.[/quote]
I’m weary about that option. I’ve never opted for it - just a gut feeling they’d try to fix it instead of writing it off. Not saying that’s what happens - just a personal feeling I guess.[/quote]

They offered. For 350 a month. What they called replacement insurance. In a perfect world. Looking back. I probably should have taken it[/quote]
Boy don't know your age or driving record but $4200 for icbc including replacement value( only available for first 3 years)
is more than I have ever payed by double??
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

dontrump wrote:There's optional coverage for that. They usually mention it when first insuring after purchase. Depreciation insurance I believe.

I’m weary about that option. I’ve never opted for it - just a gut feeling they’d try to fix it instead of writing it off. Not saying that’s what happens - just a personal feeling I guess.[/quote]

Was an 80k dollar truck ? I have a pretty clean abstract. Even this was 0 percent my fault by icbc standards.

33 years old. No tickets in several years. 40 percent discount.

They offered. For 350 a month. What they called replacement insurance. In a perfect world. Looking back. I probably should have taken it[/quote]
Boy don't know your age or driving record but $4200 for icbc including replacement value( only available for first 3 years)
is more than I have ever payed by double??[/quote]
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

its normally that much PER YEAR not per month.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

GordonH wrote:Auto-body shops have been over-billing insurance companies since the 2 ever started up in business, its nothing new folks.

I disagree. I work in the industry, ICBC dictates what we can charge. They set the rates, they set the prices. Bodyshops simply comply with what ICBC (and private insurance as well) tell us.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Hassel99 wrote:its normally that much PER YEAR not per month.

I would have taken it in a heartbeat.

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Auto-body shops have been over-billing insurance companies since the 2 ever started up in business, its nothing new folks.

Triple 6 wrote:I disagree. I work in the industry, ICBC dictates what we can charge. They set the rates, they set the prices. Bodyshops simply comply with what ICBC (and private insurance as well) tell us.

If that is the case, why would anyone want to open auto-body shop knowing your potential revenue is capped.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

GordonH wrote:If that is the case, why would anyone want to open auto-body shop knowing your potential revenue is capped.

You would have to ask the person who wants to open the business. Either way there is no shortage of accidents ever. so your always working.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

except that the door the body shop purchases for 500 gets billed to icbc for 1500
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

LTD wrote:except that the door the body shop purchases for 500 gets billed to icbc for 1500

yeah,no. It actually doesn't.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Triple 6 wrote:
LTD wrote:except that the door the body shop purchases for 500 gets billed to icbc for 1500

yeah,no. It actually doesn't.

Like everything in life, depends on the shop.

I dealt with one shop years ago that replaced my headlights with cheaper aftermarket ones and tried to bill ICBC for the more expensive OEM ones.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I don't think you understand how the system works. Appears that you're in good company tho aside from Triple 6 and GoStumpy.

In reality the process works more like this: ICBC says in advance of the repair "We'll pay you $500 bucks for that door and we'll pay you for 2hrs of time to replace at $80/hr". They never offer a generous amount and body shops usually need to push their suppliers pretty hard. If they succeed in getting the door for $450 then they get to pocket $50.

ICBC knows exactly how much each part should cost and how many hours it takes to fix/repair. ICBC says "We'll pay you xxx$ to do this repair". If the bodyshop accepts the job, they complete the repair and send notice to ICBC who will then pay them. The shop does not set the price of the repair - ICBC does.

Return to “B.C.”