Shops overbilling ICBC

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Shops overbilling ICBC

Post by Ken7 »

I used to bet auto body men the cost of repair on motor vehicle accident vehicles and usually won.

To the person suggesting $500.00 will repair visible damage you are out to lunch. In 2006 I retired, I kept current on repairs. IF you punch the door panel of a painted and clear coated truck hard enough to leave your knuckles denting the tin, that was $500.00 damage.

Today, FORD pickup truck doors are aluminum. They can not repair door dings of fist punches as they did in the early years. Cost of repair for a FORD is now $2,500.00 if I recall as they have to remove the door skin, prime and paint and replace.

Auto cost of repairs are much higher. Then consider behind the plastic bumper skins, there is a number of other things, such as shocks, foam, crush able tin.

My advice to anyone in a motor vehicle accident today, exchange names, addresses and phone numbers even if it doesn't look like it exceeds the $2,000.00. Ask for their drivers license and registration recording the information you need. Further if you have a I-phone take photos of damages including the driver if they do not produce their license.
Last edited by Ken7 on Nov 21st, 2017, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Hit a moose in my 2016 ram. Early estimates were 35000 to repair. I had to fight to get it written off . Scoundrels on all sides

A vehicle is written-off when repairing it would cost more than the actual cash value (ACV) of the vehicle.

This is off ICBC web site, Saskatchewan used to be 75% of total value.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ken7 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Hit a moose in my 2016 ram. Early estimates were 35000 to repair. I had to fight to get it written off . Scoundrels on all sides

A vehicle is written-off when repairing it would cost more than the actual cash value (ACV) of the vehicle.

This is off ICBC web site, Saskatchewan used to be 75% of total value.

I ended up with a check covering most of what i owe . In the end i feel like i pay a lot for insurance . Insurance ought to cover the loan.

At the very same time . I am glad to get what i did . I hit the moose in alberta so that added considerably to the time frame in getting it sorted out . I was lucky to walk away with my life
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Ken7 wrote:As I was injured in a accident I personally was asked for a dollar value to settle a injury claim by my adjuster. I researched alike injury cases and offered to settle in the middle of the road considering my losses and for pain and suffering sighting three case laws ( previous settlements).

Come the end of the day after having to proceed with lawyer, as I was basically forced to. Later having a examination of discovery it ended up costing at the very least 3-4 times what I had proposed.

IF they had trained persons they could certainly reduce their injury claim total costs. I know of many other cases no different from mine.

I would have agreed with you not too long ago.
However my mom was involved in an accident two months ago, and we decided to talk to ICBC before talking to the lawyers.
They were actually nice, polite, and fair. I would think she would have made less after the lawyers expenses.
I am thinking that their new management may be making a difference.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

This is news? LOL!

I had a small dent in my fender once. Took it to a body shop - they told me to call ICBC because it’ll cost at least $1500. For a penny sized dent? Took it to a dent place - 20 minutes and $125 taxes in.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I think the underlying issue here is the way anyonehaving monetary dealings with the government, be they elected, hired, or contracted, sees government money as easy money taken from deep pockets.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Jflem1983 wrote:I ended up with a check covering most of what i owe . In the end i feel like i pay a lot for insurance . Insurance ought to cover the loan.

There's optional coverage for that. They usually mention it when first insuring after purchase. Depreciation insurance I believe.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LordEd wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:I ended up with a check covering most of what i owe . In the end i feel like i pay a lot for insurance . Insurance ought to cover the loan.

There's optional coverage for that. They usually mention it when first insuring after purchase. Depreciation insurance I believe.

I’m weary about that option. I’ve never opted for it - just a gut feeling they’d try to fix it instead of writing it off. Not saying that’s what happens - just a personal feeling I guess.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Dizzy1 wrote:
LordEd wrote:There's optional coverage for that. They usually mention it when first insuring after purchase. Depreciation insurance I believe.

I’m weary about that option. I’ve never opted for it - just a gut feeling they’d try to fix it instead of writing it off. Not saying that’s what happens - just a personal feeling I guess.

They offered. For 350 a month. What they called replacement insurance. In a perfect world. Looking back. I probably should have taken it
Last edited by ferri on Nov 22nd, 2017, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Dizzy1 wrote:
LordEd wrote:There's optional coverage for that. They usually mention it when first insuring after purchase. Depreciation insurance I believe.

Ypu may or may not know this, but We are not required to buy our optional insurance through ICBC. If you prefer another company just ask your insurance agent what else is out there.
Personally I have the basic including $2,000,000 additional third party. Plus Comp through ICBC but get anything additional through BCAA.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That was one of the insurances companies' dirty little secrets for a long time, the fact that no one wanted to own up to the drop in a vehicle's value after an accident. One of the Canadian news investigative news shows, Marketplace or Fifth Estate or some such, brought it into the limelight a few years ago.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Dizzy1 wrote:This is news? LOL!

I had a small dent in my fender once. Took it to a body shop - they told me to call ICBC because it’ll cost at least $1500. For a penny sized dent? Took it to a dent place - 20 minutes and $125 taxes in.

exactly....... :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

stuphoto wrote:Ypu may or may not know this, but We are not required to buy our optional insurance through ICBC. If you prefer another company just ask your insurance agent what else is out there.
Personally I have the basic including $2,000,000 additional third party. Plus Comp through ICBC but get anything additional through BCAA.

Some options they don't even offer, but you can secure extra insurance through third parties. I drive a cherry of a thirty year old Mercedes. Replacement at least $10K, book value around $2K. When I asked ICBC about insuring it for replacement cost they pointed me to a third party supplier.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

stuphoto wrote:Personally I have the basic including $2,000,000 additional third party. Plus Comp through ICBC but get anything additional through BCAA.

We have used Canadian Direct (now BelAir Direct) for several years on 2 vehicles and save 3-$400 a year total.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Oh my god you people.

NOBODY IS OVERCHARGING ICBC.

ICBC DICTATES THE PRICE!!!!

I am not a bodyshop but I deal with almost every shop in Kelowna, but I am an ICBC supplier. There is a computerized system in place that dictates the cost and repair time of any and all repairs. We must provide photographic proof that the part needs to be repaired or replaced, we can't just write a random list of parts and have them pay us... we need to provide proof of purchase for the repaired parts so we can't bill for things we don't install...etc.

I am so sick and tired of hearing people compare ICBC repair rates with what their cousin Jim paid for their bumper repaint....

"Oh I went to a shop and they said it's a $1500 repair, but I went around the corner and got it done for $450!!"

Do you not realize that those are not the same jobs? One shop will remove the bumper and everything attached to it, scuff the whole thing properly, clean it inside & out, prime, paint with the right stuff, ensure a proper coating, install, reinstall all parts, and it will look like nothing was ever done.
Another shop will mask off the fenders and lights, rub it with some scotchbrite, and spray new color right overtop... remove tape and done! Think those are going to last the same? Think they should cost the same?

ALSO, ICBC repairs are held to a LIFETIME WARRANTY!! You think the shop is going to cheap out on an insurance repair when they have to stand behind it FOR LIFE? That job you paid cash for was cheaper because they can tell you to pound sand 3 months later when the paint starts peeling or the panel starts bubbling with rust.

At the end of the day, ICBC DOES pay the most for autobody repairs, but they also demand that it is DONE RIGHT, no shortcuts. And as a customer, ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU WANT??

Are people seriously complaining that the insurance company that is fixing their car to pre-loss condition is paying the bodyshop too much to do the high-level of quality they are demanding?

Cars need to be repaired PROPERLY, not CHEAPLY. CHEAP IS NOT GOOD. Your vehicle is often a family's second largest investment, take care of it and have it repaired RIGHT, by a GOOD bodyshop.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

Return to “B.C.”