Shops overbilling ICBC

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Shops overbilling ICBC

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#212084 - and this is news [icon_lol2.gif] they having been over billing forever

a few years ago, a car hit me when i was parked, damage was nothing big, my friend who is and auto body guy said it was a $500 job, bill goes to icbc for 3,750, they pay it , i tell them the place in town here is ripping them off, i tell the female staff in charge of my file that i think they are getting ripped off, she looks at me and says--do not tell me how to do my job

and that's how it works people
Last edited by the truth on Nov 21st, 2017, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Shops overbilling ICBC

Post by TreeGuy »

I took my Safari van in for some damage to the front quarter panel. The shop submitted the estimate to ICBC, ICBC’s response was to write the vehicle off as the estimate was too much. We explained to ICBC that the van has low mileage and in mint condition. ICBC contacted the shop and the cost was revised and the work completed. Was the first estimate inflated? I think so.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-212084-3-.htm#212084 - and this is news [icon_lol2.gif] they having been over billing forever

a few years ago, a car hit me when i was parked, damage was nothing big, my friend who is and auto body guy said it was a $500 job, bill goes to icbc for 3,750, they pay it , i tell them the place in town here is ripping them off, i tell the female staff in charge of my file that i think they are getting ripped off, she looks at me and says--do not tell me how to do my job

and any time you entrust the government to run anything, they will do it extremely poorly. Why is this a surprise.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 21st, 2017, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 21st, 2017, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to off topic post.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-212084-3-.htm#212084 - and this is news [icon_lol2.gif] they having been over billing forever

I doubt she would say "don't tell me how to do my job" when you simply opined you thought the billing was a over billing
perhaps it was more like you really were trying to tell her how to do her job?
But that being said having private estimators is one thing but allowing certain certified shops to do a estimate and also fix the damage is just begging to be overcharged ;I question the logic in the way they do this
here is the bad part
If you don't want to go through the bureaucracy of the ICBC in house estimating system you can go to (eg) FX auto and get one HOWEVER if they don't get the job you have to pay out of pocket for the estimate if u choose to go to a different body shop now if that's not a conflict of interest I don't know what is so as usual one can see that ICBC is poorly run
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 21st, 2017, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 21st, 2017, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Hit a moose in my 2016 ram. Early estimates were 35000 to repair. I had to fight to get it written off . Scoundrels on all sides
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm curious - how many of you that are confident shops are overbilling ICBC actually know the processes/controls used or have any insight into the topic? You do know that shops are required to take pictures and document all damage? You do know that ICBC has flat rates and # of hours that can be charged for each type of repair right?

Long story short - I'm sure it happens, but it's not as easy for shops to overbill as many of you want to believe.

My experience - got rear-ended in my car. Took it to 3 shops to get quotes before the other guy decided to use ICBC/Insurance to pay for repairs. ICBC got it fixed for cheaper than any 3 shops quoted. Exact same thing when I accidently put a small dent in the family vehicle. Cheapest way to repair was to run it through ICBC then pay ICBC's cost to repair (avoid an increase in insurance premiums). ICBC negotiated a rate that was better than what I was able to negotiate.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

There's too many companies etc depending on the way ICBC operates to ever see it change.
ICBC should end.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Do you think its any different at auto-body shops across this country who don't have public auto insurance, highly doubtful.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Plus a $3750 bill lowers your resale value. Whereas a $500 bill, if completed properly doesn't.
So you are getting screwed again
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

stuphoto wrote:

Plus a $3750 bill lowers your resale value. Whereas a $500 bill, if completed properly doesn't.
So you are getting screwed again

but in reality the so called auto body guy had no idea of what the real costs were and most likely the damage was much closer to the icbc estimate than his own opinion
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

TreeGuy wrote:I took my Safari van in for some damage to the front quarter panel. The shop submitted the estimate to ICBC, ICBC’s response was to write the vehicle off as the estimate was too much. We explained to ICBC that the van has low mileage and in mint condition. ICBC contacted the shop and the cost was revised and the work completed. Was the first estimate inflated? I think so.

Possibly sourced out used parts so that the cost of repair did not surpass the percentage they use to write off.

After hearing the news I would suggest IF ICBC had trained persons as adjusters who could actually negotiate a injury claim they would save money.

As I was injured in a accident I personally was asked for a dollar value to settle a injury claim by my adjuster. I researched alike injury cases and offered to settle in the middle of the road considering my losses and for pain and suffering sighting three case laws ( previous settlements).

Come the end of the day after having to proceed with lawyer, as I was basically forced to. Later having a examination of discovery it ended up costing at the very least 3-4 times what I had proposed.

IF they had trained persons they could certainly reduce their injury claim total costs. I know of many other cases no different from mine.

Return to “B.C.”