Rock Chips.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Rock Chips.

Post by Ken7 »

Letters
Rock chips
Contributed - Nov 21, 2017 / 6:00 am | Story: 211858

I have thought about this for a few days now, do l complain or don't l? So here l am and I'm going to complain.

I know our highways crew are there to help keep us safe and l appreciate that, a thankless job and long hours. I recently traveled to Vancouver to visit my son and was immediately introduced to gunfire from passing cars as they picked up stones and pelted my truck. It was -1 on the Connector (Sunday afternoon) and l felt like l was on a undeveloped gravel road.

I understand weather conditions, salt and sand could have been put down as it was near freezing. I could understand if it was -20 but these rocks are still unacceptable. I now need to replace my windshield and have numerous rock chips (major) that totally is uncalled for. Again l will say l appreciate your efforts but is a bunch of rocks on a major highway worth this uncalled damage to our vehicles? I am one ticked off taxpayer and don't understand how so called educated people can make these calls. I probably have close to 3 thousand damage to my vehicle with paint damage and a new windshield.

Get your heads out of the sand and think about it, if it was your vehicle would this be acceptable to you? If you really know what's going on you're not driving that highway and we wonder why our ICBC rates go up?

Mike Mull

Mike, I know the feeling and I look at it from a different point of view.

Yes, the rocks are not necessary on the road as some are the size of a marble as you can clearly see them at highway speed.

IF and only IF people would allow a reasonable distance when passing WE would not get rocked. Yes, I've witnessed it, two lanes of traffic, buddy who has to be ahead of the pack passes. With no one behind him and what does the JERK do, pulls right back in front of you are a distance closer then safe to follow.

I think a person needs a dash cam and then take these people to task by reporting them to ICBC holding them responsible for any damages as a result of their stupidity. It would quickly spread and people on that highway might be a little more courteous!
my5cents
Guru

Re: Rock Chips.

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:Mike, I know the feeling and I look at it from a different point of view.

Yes, the rocks are not necessary on the road as some are the size of a marble as you can clearly see them at highway speed.

IF and only IF people would allow a reasonable distance when passing WE would not get rocked. Yes, I've witnessed it, two lanes of traffic, buddy who has to be ahead of the pack passes. With no one behind him and what does the JERK do, pulls right back in front of you are a distance closer then safe to follow.

I think a person needs a dash cam and then take these people to task by reporting them to ICBC holding them responsible for any damages as a result of their stupidity. It would quickly spread and people on that highway might be a little more courteous!

Yes, except even if you can identify the vehicle, it's a comprehensive claim.

The driving rule of thumb is only return to the right lane when you can see the vehicle you have passed in your centre rear view mirror. Not many do.

I'm with you, why pull in so quickly ?????
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Going in at 8 am tomorrow to fix the first chip of the season.......
I am not wealthy but I am rich
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

my5cents wrote:

Many times though, in BC if you pass someone,some *bleep* is quickly on your tail speeding far more than you that wasnt even in the equation seconds ago.
Same *bleep* won't even allow you time to get in the right lane and passes to the right of you. Lol
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

my5cents wrote:Yes, except even if you can identify the vehicle, it's a comprehensive claim.

The driving rule of thumb is only return to the right lane when you can see the vehicle you have passed in your centre rear view mirror. Not many do.

Letter sent to ICBC. I'll let you know what they respond.

Dear Sir / Madam,
IF I am on a highway and a vehicle passes me and then pulls in too closely stoning my vehicle are they responsible for my damages, paint and windshield chips?

IF caught on dashcam will ICBC go after their insurance for my repair?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I doubt it unless they are running larger tires without proper flaps or if tires stick out past fenders
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ken7 wrote:Letter sent to ICBC. I'll let you know what they respond.

Dear Sir / Madam,
IF I am on a highway and a vehicle passes me and then pulls in too closely stoning my vehicle are they responsible for my damages, paint and windshield chips?

IF caught on dashcam will ICBC go after their insurance for my repair?

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/optional/P ... erage.aspx
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Make rear tire mudflaps mandatory on all vehicles
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

When I commute to Kelowna from Edmonton I always budget a windshield. It's more like pit run they throw down..lol. One trip in the winter can put years of rock chips on a new car.

In Edmonton they are experimenting with calcium chloride and it seems to work well....no rocks, sand or gravel to deal with.

http://edmontonsun.com/2017/10/03/calci ... 97974e1def
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Not sure what the exact type of de-icer that was being used on the Sea to Sky Highway over the last 10 years but I have talked to many people that use that highway year round and what it has caused was SEVERE seizing of almost every type of nut and bolt under their vehicles. This was not from years of corrosion............it was literally from one season of driving in winter conditions on that highway. In several friends cases, their vehicles were in the shop literally almost an extra day waiting for penetrating oil to work its way in and in many cases having to replace bolts that broke. Some would even spray their entire under-carriage with an oil to help prevent this and again, the same issue reoccurred the following spring.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Every highway in B.C. is the same. It was never a problem when the government workers were doing the sanding. They used sand. These government contractors use gravel. It must be cheaper than sand. What really ticks me off is when one of those golf ball-sized rocks hits my windshield as I'm driving home at night. Then, next morning while the car's warming up on my way to the glass repair place, the 'chip' turns into a huge crack. Another new windshield, thanks to those jerks 'gravelling' the highway.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Cactusflower wrote:Every highway in B.C. is the same. It was never a problem when the government workers were doing the sanding. They used sand. These government contractors use gravel. It must be cheaper than sand. What really ticks me off is when one of those golf ball-sized rocks hits my windshield as I'm driving home at night. Then, next morning while the car's warming up on my way to the glass repair place, the 'chip' turns into a huge crack. Another new windshield, thanks to those jerks 'gravelling' the highway.

Highway maintenance has been deteriorating since the 90s.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Cactusflower wrote:Every highway in B.C. is the same. It was never a problem when the government workers were doing the sanding. They used sand. These government contractors use gravel. It must be cheaper than sand. What really ticks me off is when one of those golf ball-sized rocks hits my windshield as I'm driving home at night. Then, next morning while the car's warming up on my way to the glass repair place, the 'chip' turns into a huge crack. Another new windshield, thanks to those jerks 'gravelling' the highway.

Dizzy1 wrote:Highway maintenance has been deteriorating since the 90s.

Everyone of the private contractors (after Social Credit party privatized highway maintenance) does the bare minimum required by them. This includes using the cheapest possible items i.e gravel peebles rather then actual sand.
Hey a bonus for windshield replacement shops during winter months.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

GordonH wrote:Hey a bonus for windshield replacement shops during winter months

Didn't get the windshield replaced this am just the divot the rock made on the lower corner. Took about 40 minutes and as I have comprehensive on the insurance, no out of pocket at the time of pick up expense. Supposedly will stop it from initiating a crack spidering over the windshield.
Thought this year I'll try and pay more attention to the chips as this windshield with several sensors would be expensive for ICBC and $300 for me.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ someone still has to pay for the purchase of the windshields (those who need full windshield replacement). Manufacturers don't make them for free.

The moment a chip happens get it filled, if it spreads/cracks.... new windshield is needed of course if its not obvious. Could wait until police tell you to replace it.

Return to “B.C.”