Scare tactics aren’t the answer for overdose crisis,

dle
Lord of the Board

Re: Scare tactics aren’t the answer for overdose crisis,

Post by dle »

Scare tactics less effective...........https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213574

Mr. Watson seems to say that if a user sees a "scare tactic" image that includes a needle, it doesn't scare him/her - it makes them crave a fix. He seems to say that it also increases a sense of the stigma and that makes the user go use alone where they might die. He also states that We also know that periods of abstinence result in reduced tolerance, putting drug users at higher risk for death.. Well we are really in a pickle then aren't we, because in order to quit drugs there most definitely has to be abstinence! I think that abstinence is best done in a rehab setting with supervision but WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PROPER REHABS. So, there we have it. Stalemate.

By the sounds of things, there is no way out of the situation. The only solution seems to be either just give them their drugs for free in a controlled environment forever, (not on my dime), or just fergetaboutit. Basically, it sounds like users will be users for life, so we have to accept it, move on to another cause that actually has some chance of success. Nature will take its course as with everything else in life.

If "scare tactics" help save even 1 life, if it "scares" them into making the decision to get off drugs and CHOOSE TO LIVE no matter how hard it WILL BE, then it worked wonderfully IMHO.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Id love to see a cost analysis of giving all these junkies free drugs. Some of em are spending 1000 a day or more. Im not sure how the government would be able to get heroin any cheaper than the already established supply chains. Also if they did. You know some or most would end up lost or stolen to be sold .

In short. Giving free drugs will cost billions . Create a million new adicts. Kill thousands. Not to mention the irrepeairable damage done to communities.

What a sick disgusting idea.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

cost will not be just in the billions in free drugs, they will need free rent, medical dental, food on and on it goes these junkies will cost working canadians trillions because they will be too high to hold down a job
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Jflem1983 wrote:Id love to see a cost analysis of giving all these junkies free drugs. Some of em are spending 1000 a day or more. Im not sure how the government would be able to get heroin any cheaper than the already established supply chains. Also if they did. You know some or most would end up lost or stolen to be sold .

In short. Giving free drugs will cost billions . Create a million new adicts. Kill thousands. Not to mention the irrepeairable damage done to communities.

Yep. I agree. But the ways we might suggest to deal with things in any way OTHER than molly-coddling them and giving them free drugs for life (I repeat, not on my dime so they better keep their hand out of my tax pocket for that), are being pooh-poohed by the medical community, the addiction counsellors (I am quite sure by the addicts themselves because, well what a glorious score that would be eh!), and anyone else in any kind of power to do anything about it. Maybe they think it would be cheaper to just hand it out than build rehabs. Maybe they think it would be cheaper than keeping one brain-dead fentanyl overdoser in the hospital for the remainder of their life. I don't know. I DO know they don't hand out free booze and glasses to drink it from to alcoholics. Maybe those with the power are just overwhelmed with the extreme number of addicts out there that they just don't know what to do anymore so a lot of talk, and zero tough-love action, fits into their comfort zone right now.

And while I'm on the rant about the "people who can actually do something about the addictions" let's not forget the doctors who prescribe AT HOME opioids. We could stop a HUGE number of future addicts right this second if that practice were banned. Opioids should ONLY be used in a hospital setting for a very short period of time and nowhere else. A HUGE HUGE number of people would not become addicts. So maybe those powers that be in the medical community who don't want any "scare tactics" or "tough love" better look right back at themselves for simplest solution.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

First day the government is giving out free heroin im a quit working and go join the party
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Jflem1983 wrote:Lets just give em all free heroin then. That oughta fix the problem. The stupidity of the left is amazing

I've noticed that in almost every drug (any drug) related thread on hear you come in and say some version of this. I just was reading this thread back trying to see where your pulling this idea from and I can't see it anywhere. It looks like youve just randomly decided that "the left" wants to give people free drugs.

Is this an actual thing someone has said before or is it just your go to strawman argument to derail uncomfortable conversations about drug use?
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Lets just give em all free heroin then. That oughta fix the problem. The stupidity of the left is amazing

I've noticed that in almost every drug (any drug) related thread on hear you come in and say some version of this. I just was reading this thread back trying to see where your pulling this idea from and I can't see it anywhere. It looks like youve just randomly decided that "the left" wants to give people free drugs.

Is this an actual thing someone has said before or is it just your go to strawman argument to derail uncomfortable conversations about drug use?

Had quite a few friends overdose and die already. All the while more heroin is being dumped on the streets. More oxies more naloxone. More fentanyl. Im tired of it.

I know we can do better as a country. These feel good ideas are not working. We need to as a country get tough

Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

Jflem1983 wrote:Id love to see a cost analysis of giving all these junkies free drugs. Some of em are spending 1000 a day or more. Im not sure how the government would be able to get heroin any cheaper than the already established supply chains. Also if they did. You know some or most would end up lost or stolen to be sold .

Read some articles on prescription heroin. It looks promising from a health and cost-benefit perspective.

1) B.C. clinic's free heroin enables addicts to 'have a meaningful life again,' co-ordinator says
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/crosstown ... -1.3779768

2)Vancouver clinic turns long-time addicts from prescription heroin to abstinence
https://www.straight.com/news/878486/va ... abstinence
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:

I don't speak for the left, but I am in favour of free heroin for some cases.

This is happening already on a small experimental scale in the DTES at a place called Crosstown Clinic. Read up on it (I provided links in the post above).
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so how much will it cost tax payers money in free drugs and health care, and welfare on and on it goes. free drugs is not the answer
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

Here's a quick argument FOR prescription heroin.

Those who misuse substances often do it as pain management. The correlation between childhood trauma (sexual abuse, physical abuse, neglect) and extreme opiate addiction is very high.

Once someone is using opiates it can consume their life. This is not a cheap drug, so many opiate addicts are working 24/7 to feed their addiction through prostitution, drug dealing, and theft.

Prescription heroin allows people to step off the hamster wheel of acquiring money for heroin. Once they stop chasing money for their fix they are able to focus on previously neglected areas of their life. Once of those areas could be working on past traumas. Other areas could be to start working or to start skill-building.

I'll stop there for now, but the argument runs deeper than this. Prescription heroin in theory saves lives and government resources.
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

the truth wrote:so how much will it cost tax payers money in free drugs and health care, and welfare on and on it goes. free drugs is not the answer

Have you read the articles I posted yet?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the truth wrote:so how much will it cost tax payers money in free drugs and health care, and welfare on and on it goes. free drugs is not the answer

Well your choice is to move to sask .bc will be progressive on this issue :smt045
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

do you want to work side by side with someone high on heroin,for example on the oil rigs, roofer, flagger taxi driver ,i can go on and on ,but i think you get my point,
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

the truth wrote:do you want to work side by side with someone high on heroin,for example on the oil rigs, roofer, flagger taxi driver ,i can go on and on ,but i think you get my point,

Depends on the job I suppose. Read the articles.

Return to “B.C.”