New rules for rent inceases,

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: New rules for rent inceases,

Post by JLives »

LTD wrote:omg that's priceless spoken like someone whos never owned a home and clearly never rented one out and while we're at lets go full communism and restrict how many homes you can own ahahahahahaha that's a really good one

I have been a home owner for 10 years. And own in a very desirable and vibrant neighbourhood. I also grew up in poverty and understand that rental housing needs to be viewed more as a necessity and less as a business. My mom was a young widow and slept on a hide a bed in the living room for several years. No to Air B&B type businesses for that reason. We have so many families here that just need homes and we need to figure out how to help make that happen.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

JLives wrote:I have been a home owner for 10 years. And own in a very desirable and vibrant neighbourhood. I also grew up in poverty and understand that rental housing needs to be viewed more as a necessity and less as a business. My mom was a young widow and slept on a hide a bed in the living room for several years. No to Air B&B type businesses for that reason. We have so many families here that just need homes and we need to figure out how to help make that happen.

I grew up in poverty too, no desire to be a landlord though. I've known too many people that don't care about where they live, moving through life I was a wonderful tenant and had landlords that rewarded that. This attitude of "landlords are terrible people" is a bad attitude.

AirBnB has offered an option for people to make the same coin with less issue and people are going for it, and I get it, less BS for the same reward is always going to be more desirable, however with anything new regulations are needed I think.

Rentals are a commodity that is needed but people providing them are people being generous in doing so and deserve compensation to do so, as society changes so must the renters ability to be desired as the right choice. Bad policy will only encourage landlords to simply not bother.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I was a landlord for 5 years. Rented out a 2 bed basement suite in my home. I was a great landlord. I followed every rule, kept everything in excellent working order, I was respectful, I gave my tenants privacy and never entered the suite uninvited, I was also flexible and allowed my tenants to do things like only give 2 weeks notice, allowed some late rent payments, etc. We had 5 sets of tenants in that time. Some only stayed 3 months, others a little over 2 years.

The whole process was a nightmare. Here's a list of the things I dealt with:
- I was very clear on the no smoking rule. Smoking outside was fine. Every single set of tenanants smoked regardless of what they indicated in the application form and every single set of tenants had to be spoken to at least once about breaking that rule. I build a covered smoking area outside with a table, garbage can, seating, ashtray, etc to encourage smoking outside. I was repaid with cig butts everywhere and a fire from improperly extinguished butts.
- 1 set of tenants turned to hard drugs after a few months of peaceful living. All sorts of problems ensued. Screaming, fights, sketchy people coming and going, cops showing up, etc. Found a crack pipe hidden when I cleaned up after that eviction.
- Another set of tenants refused to leave after being evicted for not paying their rent. No reason for refusal to pay other than spending their money elsewhere. Tenancy office was no help, courts were little help, RCMP no help. After a couple of months I was forced to take matters into my own hands. Had to store most of their crap for 3 months before I was allowed the pleasure of paying to dispose of it.
- A different tenant decided to get a new roommate. That roommate was a real looser. Got a call from neighbor about him dealing drugs out of the driveway and he only paid the 1st month rent. Had to evict both.
- Twice I was left with a huge mess after tenants leaving. In one instance I drug out over 10 large garbage bags of trash alone. Trash on the laundry room floor was 8" deep. 1/2 month deposit doesn't come close to covering this.
- Noise and parties on a handful of occasions. Couple of times I had to bang on the door at 2am. I'm not talking about a little noise here. Earplugs weren't enough..
- Initially we had shared laundry with rules about who got to use the laundry on what days. Tenants were constantly using in the middle of the night (noisy), leaving their laundry in the machines for us to deal with on our laundry days, and even stealing our laundry soap. 1 tenant even had the gall to get mad at me when I put a lock on the cabinet with our soap, etc inside. "We didn't trust them". Yeah - cause you're taking our crap! Had to do some very expensive renovations to add a 2nd laundry due to all of the problems with inconsiderate tenants sharing the main laundry.
- Another set of tenants was constantly complaining about being too hot/cold. I installed additional baseboard heaters for them, installed adjustable vents, etc. Still complained. Temp seemed fine to me so I installed some thermometers as they never seemed happy. When they started telling me that the thermometers weren't working correctly I finally gave up and suggested they move to a different place. I was an evil/bad landlord after that.
- Did I mention late payments, bad checks, and numerous instances of "I can't afford to pay" while the trash was full of cigarette, alcohol, and pizza boxes?

There's so much more I could add to this list. Bug infestations, refusing to bring trash to the curb, being rude to my very nice elderly neighbors.. it didn't end.

Before some smartass tells me I should have vetted my tenants better - I'd like to ask how you'd do this? I had an application process, I checked the references, etc. The young family with a newborn baby was by far my worst set of tenants. The young group of college students were one of the best.

There's a reason why there's a rental housing crisis. The income isn't worth the hassle and risk. I'll certainly never rent again unless it's a last resort.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

check these people out on facebook, if they are on it, most are these days, -like they say a pixs is worth a thousand words
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

so why did you become a Landlord for 5 yrs then Tyler if it was a living hell ???

and nope, I probably won't buy the excuse that you were doing it to help others...you were doing it to make extra money for yourself and your Family..

being a Landlord is a "peoples game" if you don't like dealing with people much then simply don't become a Landlord and invest your money in something else...

being a Landlord isn't just making extra spending money (if it's a suite in the home that you reside in) it's a business contract that you want something from (like help making your mortgage payments so that YOU can become and stay a Homeowner) to expect that for very little inconvenience is not logical...and nobody is forcing anybody to invest in rental property, there's other places one can invest their money in..

and no, I will not believe that we have a rental crisis because of the RTB Act nor that so many Homeowners aren't doing it because of that reason..there's people investing in RE every single day,(have you not seen the constant articles that RE is increasing every single yr ??) unless you are very wealthy and can keep your investment empty hoping for the property to increase so you can sell..then you have no choice but to rent it, because you need someone to pay for it and that someone is a Tenant..if that thought upsets you because you think you're getting the chitty end of the stick, then simply don't do it..
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

[quote="W105"]Tenant..if that thought upsets you because you think you're getting the chitty end of the stick, then simply don't do it..

An alternative to long term rentals seems to be Air B&B. Definitely a proliferation of short term compared to long term.
Any ideas as to why?
See above posts, could be one reason..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

no, I fully understand why Air BnB took off..homeowners could make extra non taxable cash quicker and who wouldn't like that ?? BUT Air BnB is now on the radar and that game is changing...

so go ahead and do Air BnB and pay tax on that income..or put some tenant in your suite mthly and most likely get away without anybody ever knowing and keep all that extra income for yourself..

choice is yours..
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

W105 wrote:so why did you become a Landlord for 5 yrs then Tyler if it was a living hell ???

and nope, I probably won't buy the excuse that you were doing it to help others...you were doing it to make extra money for yourself and your Family..

It really doesn't take much intelligence to assume they were a landlord for profit. If only his tenants had the decency to respect the place they were renting. It's home to them and it sounds like this landlord was very nice, smoking area, early leaving, late rent, etc. There needs to be laws in place to protect the landlord from idiots who think they are somehow entitled to rent a place and treat it however they want simply because they exist. I'm sure you wouldn't like me to come over and give you $1000 in exchange to destroy your kitchen (it will cost much more to fix).
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Yup people in my family ran large rental properties .it is a peoples game and for long time the landlord won. As long they were honest and played by rules .once you start entering peoples places with out permission or harrasment is when trouble starts and fines or jail is your outcome .air bnb will soon be limited so if renting not your game then its best you sell wnd get single dwelling :130:
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

right you are Sparki..so when our government decided to change the RTB Act rules to allow "fair market value" rent increases (when they knew full well that they were selling BC housing as a commodity) and this fixed term loophole that

when your one yr lease is up "instead" of going mth to mth, they started a brand new yrly lease that stated if you don't pay us an extra % that was always above the allowable increase, then bye bye..that the Landlords of BC said, nope,

please just give us easier, quicker, cheaper ways to evict a Tenant who does pay their rent or doesn't pay it on time..and make it mandatory that Tenant's MUST have renter's insurance and if they don't we can add it to the rental price

we deserve the right to have solid protection of our property..(only the illegal Landlords that don't wanna claim their rental income because of income tax reasons won't agree to this one)

nah.. instead they were quite happy that rent gouging loopholes were allowed and many used it as soon as they could or they found out about it...

Landlords should be barking up a storm about demanding something be done about these issues, the fire is hot right now with a new Government..the renter's got thru to this new government...the Landlords can too..
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

W105 wrote:right you are Sparki..so when our government decided to change the RTB Act rules to allow "fair market value" rent increases (when they knew full well that they were selling BC housing as a commodity) and this fixed term loophole that

when your one yr lease is up "instead" of going mth to mth, they started a brand new yrly lease that stated if you don't pay us an extra % that was always above the allowable increase, then bye bye..that the Landlords of BC said, nope,

please just give us easier, quicker, cheaper ways to evict a Tenant who does pay their rent or doesn't pay it on time..and make it mandatory that Tenant's MUST have renter's insurance and if they don't we can add it to the rental price

we deserve the right to have solid protection of our property..(only the illegal Landlords that don't wanna claim their rental income because of income tax reasons won't agree to this one)

nah.. instead they were quite happy that rent gouging loopholes were allowed and many used it as soon as they could or they found out about it...

Landlords should be barking up a storm about demanding something be done about these issues, the fire is hot right now with a new Government..the renter's got thru to this new government...the Landlords can too..

It just needs be fair for both sides . Renters should not get gouged and landlords should not have their property abused . Have impartial arbitrator
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

seewood wrote: Definitely a proliferation of short term compared to long term. Any ideas as to why?

I've done some research and basically, it comes down to this:

- Higher caliber clientele. People who Airbnb are travelers, they're spending money and they don't mind spending extra. They're not dead-beat losers who run out of money on the 20th of the month and can't pay rent on the 1st.
- Way better process of vetting people. All people are rated by their previous hosts. If you check references for long term tenants, people will tell you they're wonderful tenants just to get rid of them. With AirBNB review system, you'll see feedback from multiple sources with no vested interest. Most hosts won't rent to you if you don't have at least 2-3 reviews.
- They pay in advance straight into your account. Nobody will tell you they don't have money at the end of the stay.
- Only limited number of days. Most people stay 2 - 5 days, there's no eviction process, they just leave.
- You make more money. Especially in Kelowna where hotel rooms are in short supply and very expensive. For a family of 4 renting a small house is WAY cheaper than hotels. For the owners of said small house 3 or 4 guests like this a month pays more than a full-time renter. My friend makes $3000/month from his Vancouver downtown studio. Or he can rent it out long term to somebody for $1800/month.
- Very flexible and gives you access to your property. If you have a family in town, you just pause your AirBNB, and can put them up in there. Try evicting your full-time renters for a weekend so your in-laws or friends can stay there.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

W105 wrote:so why did you become a Landlord for 5 yrs then Tyler if it was a living hell ???

Of course I was doing it for the income. It was my 1st home - a modest home but I still needed additional income to pay the mortgage.

being a Landlord is a "peoples game" if you don't like dealing with people much then simply don't become a Landlord and invest your money in something else...

Yes. That's pretty obvious. I have no problem dealing with people. I do that all day every day as part of my day job. Thankfully my day job involves respectful (mostly) people. Are you somehow saying that there's people out there that like interacting with disrespectful people who will take advantage of your relationship?

being a Landlord isn't just making extra spending money (if it's a suite in the home that you reside in) it's a business contract that you want something from (like help making your mortgage payments so that YOU can become and stay a Homeowner) to expect that for very little inconvenience is not logical...and nobody is forcing anybody to invest in rental property, there's other places one can invest their money in..

Did you read the post? There's a difference between "a little inconvenience" of a loud TV and screaming at 2am. A little inconvenience is paying the rent a week late - not skipping rent for months then leaving a disaster behind. You may find bug infestations due to the filth downstairs as "a little inconvenient" but I sure as heck see it more seriously.

and no, I will not believe that we have a rental crisis because of the RTB Act nor that so many Homeowners aren't doing it because of that reason..there's people investing in RE every single day,(have you not seen the constant articles that RE is increasing every single yr ??) unless you are very wealthy and can keep your investment empty hoping for the property to increase so you can sell..then you have no choice but to rent it, because you need someone to pay for it and that someone is a Tenant..if that thought upsets you because you think you're getting the chitty end of the stick, then simply don't do it..
'

You're so scattered in this paragraph I don't know if you're just confused or rambling. RE investment and rental vacancy rates are completely different things - I'm astonished you don't see the difference. RTA is just part of the problem, I didn't even mention the act in my post are you confusing multiple posts from different people? I don't care what you believe or don't believe. I simply ask this - do you have a better reason? Demand has been very high for years now. You claim it's an excellent money maker and a great investment. So why aren't there more rental suites out there? Do you seriously think that all the people with money to invest are dumb and choose to invest it elsewhere but you know better despite no actual experience being a landlord?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Seems you dont know the rules .your allowed a monthly inspection .theres procedure for damage causing tenants and same as renters trying to not pay rent .if you go air bnb and they trash your place then what ?
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

hahaha..so how much did you make in those 5 yrs of tax free rental income Tyler ??? $50K ?? curious to know if that is how you actually qualified to buy a house ?? wasn't that long ago that rental income went from 50% to 100% in helping someone acquire a mortgage..

and having a 2 bedroom basement rental suite in a detached house here in Kelowna is NOT a modest starter home...keep it real..

so you had to live with strangers to buy a house...maybe you should of bought something that didn't force you to do that..

why on earth would you kept doing/tolerating it for 5 yrs ?? why didn't you pack it in after the first crappy Tenant ??

Return to “B.C.”