B.C.'s doctor drought

Re: B.C.'s doctor drought

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 19th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Still have social medicine tgough and that limits a doctors income compared to washington state. MAybe our docs are going south ?

Oh yeah.......our doctors are so hard done by. Read the following link to see what BC doctors earn. I haven't checked the US doctors' fees. Perhaps you can provide me with a link to that.
http://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blog ... ok-on-fees

Was a question not a statement. Im sure free enterprise comes out on top though. I am not anti social medicine. My own mother has gotten a ton of cancer treatment at very little cost to her. Canada is a great coubtry
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3272 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:
Was a question not a statement. Im sure free enterprise comes out on top though. I am not anti social medicine. My own mother has gotten a ton of cancer treatment at very little cost to her. Canada is a great coubtry

Well, I just looked it up and I don't think any doctors will be flocking to the US to practice any time soon:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=U.S.+doc ... 8Aew4ZDICg
And I agree with you. Despite all the faults in our health care system, Canada is still a great country.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1006 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:19 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 19th, 2017, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
All evidence points to the snollygoster scown Justin Trudeau being unfit to run this country. The LIEberal platform is all foofrah. October 2019 can't come fast enough.

Rwede likes this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 21393 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:23 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
If crime scared doctors off, there would be no doctors in Surrey, Vernon, or practically any other city in B.C.

They chose to stay in surrey. I would have got 5k for bringing them. I was quite sad

I'm talking to a pediatrician now on facebook and he said he's looked at coming to BC. So I'm posting more BC photos and tagging him in them, it's my own special recruiting effort :biggrin:
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14712 posts

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Queen K wrote:I'm talking to a pediatrician now on facebook and he said he's looked at coming to BC. So I'm posting more BC photos and tagging him in them, it's my own special recruiting effort :biggrin:

Thank god you're out there saving us from doctor shortages. Here's a sticker.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Liked in: 238 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:30 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Queen K wrote:I'm talking to a pediatrician now on facebook and he said he's looked at coming to BC. So I'm posting more BC photos and tagging him in them, it's my own special recruiting effort :biggrin:

Thank god you're out there saving us from doctor shortages. Here's a sticker.

Oh, well, we know where the sticker can go. But seriously Horganismyhero, what is your solution to the Dr. shortage?

Did you know that when women graduated as Doctors they tend to practice fewer days than men. Can you think of four good reasons right off the top of your head as to WHY that would be?
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong. Cash: Your last form of privacy. Use it or lose it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14712 posts

Postby Rwede » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:35 pm

During the 1990s, the NDP closed nearly 1/3 of hospital beds and didn't add one single space to our medical schools.

That takes a long time to recover from, with medical degrees often taking close to 10 years to complete with residency time.

It's no wonder we're still experiencing a doctor drought.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

2 people like this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5124 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Rwede wrote:During the 1990s, the NDP closed nearly 1/3 of hospital beds and didn't add one single space to our medical schools.

That takes a long time to recover from, with medical degrees often taking close to 10 years to complete with residency time.

Unbelievable how much damage the NDP did during their two term reign of terror in the 1990's. Thank you NDP for our doctor shortage. Thank you indeed.
All evidence points to the snollygoster scown Justin Trudeau being unfit to run this country. The LIEberal platform is all foofrah. October 2019 can't come fast enough.

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Rwede wrote:During the 1990s, the NDP closed nearly 1/3 of hospital beds and didn't add one single space to our medical schools.

Bclibs had 16 years .i call that a fail :130:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2666 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 19th, 2017, 3:03 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:

Unbelievable how much damage the NDP did during their two term reign of terror in the 1990's. Thank you NDP for our doctor shortage. Thank you indeed.

Still, the BC Liberals were at the helm for 16 years and the doctor shortage just got continually worse during their 'reign of terror'. How do you explain that?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1006 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 19th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Still, the BC Liberals were at the helm for 16 years and the doctor shortage just got continually worse during their 'reign of terror'. How do you explain that?

The damages caused by the NDP have taken many years to repair, and they are currently causing even more for the next government to repair.
NDP is a slash and burn the ones that follow. Very common wartime tactic that only gives them the "I told you so" response.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4369 posts

Postby Urbane » Dec 19th, 2017, 3:19 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Bclibs had 16 years .i call that a fail :130:
You weren't paying attention. The Liberals in fact opened up medical schools in Kelowna and in Prince George. Those were big steps forward. NDP supporters on here complained that the Liberals were just doing that for their "cronies" and "party insiders." It's hard to believe that some people can applaud the NDP for their failures in the 1990's, such as cutting spaces in medical schools, condemn the Liberals for opening up spaces, and then blame the Liberals for the doctor shortage! That's politics though.
"Spectemur agendo"

4 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 12941 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 19th, 2017, 3:22 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Bclibs had 16 years .i call that a fail :130:

and they built a lot of hospitals that the loser NDP just wouldn't build. I call that a win. :130:

BTW I thought you had all of us "righties" on ignore? What happened?

3 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 19th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Urbane wrote:You weren't paying attention. The Liberals in fact opened up medical schools in Kelowna and in Prince George. Those were big steps forward. NDP supporters on here complained that the Liberals were just doing that for their "cronies" and "party insiders." It's hard to believe that some people can applaud the NDP for their failures in the 1990's, such as cutting spaces in medical schools, condemn the Liberals for opening up spaces, and then blame the Liberals for the doctor shortage! That's politics though.

I was just in fact up at UNBC's medical school a few weeks ago. What a beautiful facility! That never would have existed if the NDP reign of terror had been allowed to continue. Thank you all voters in BC for kicking those NDP bums out in 2001. What a bunch of losers.

4 people like this post.
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Rwede » Dec 19th, 2017, 3:36 pm

http://www.bcmj.org/article/medical-school-expansion-bc

In 2004, the MD undergraduate program at the University of British Columbia increased its first-year intake from 128 students to 200. Of these students, 24 were accepted into the new Northern Medical Program delivered in partnership with the University of Northern BC in Prince George, and 24 were accepted into the new Island Medical Program delivered in partnership with the University of Victoria on Vancouver Island. In 2008, this first cohort will enter postgraduate training. The implementation of an expanded and distributed undergraduate program has been studied by others in Canada and the US, who are now following BC’s lead and creating regional campuses for medical education.

UBC admitted 256 first-year students in 2007, doubling the student intake in just 4 years. The speed of implementation has only been possible with intense collaboration from physicians, universities, health authorities, government, and patients. In 2008, the first cohort of students from this bold expansion will graduate and enter postgraduate programs, which are also expanding in anticipation of the demand.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

2 people like this post.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5124 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.