BC Seniors squeezed

Cactusflower
Banned

BC Seniors squeezed

Post by Cactusflower »

The only seniors who are able to remotely keep up with inflation are those who were able to save for their retirement during their working years. CPP and OAP don't even cover expenses, much less any luxuries such as travel.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/214028 ... s-squeezed
seewood
Guru

Re: BC Seniors squeezed

Post by seewood »

I agree. Some here wanted to increase their expenses by raising hydro rates more than already planned by cancelling Site C or going to expensive windy solar.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

seewood wrote:I agree. Some here wanted to increase their expenses by raising hydro rates more than already planned by cancelling Site C or going to expensive windy solar.

3.7 kwh in alberta for wind .site wont ever come close to that [icon_lol2.gif]

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/ene ... -the-water
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:3.7 kwh in alberta for wind .site wont ever come close to that [icon_lol2.gif]

You are right. Site C will be much cheaper.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Sadly, we have a provincial government that is going to gouge seniors who have to pay for heating their homes, and filling up Grandpa's Crown Vic, and buying delivered goods like cat food and beans, with a punitive 50% carbon tax increase.

I don't know why the NDP hates poor people so much.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Cactusflower wrote:The only seniors who are able to remotely keep up with inflation are those who were able to save for their retirement during their working years. CPP and OAP don't even cover expenses, much less any luxuries such as travel.

The reality is that many folks don't plan ahead. "Holiday in Mexico, top up RRSP - hmmm.".

The numbers I was reading earlier today kind of indicate a shift in responsible planning. In 1999 72.6% of seniors were debt free. By 2016 that number had dropped to 58%.

Our CPP and OAS DO cover expenses - because we made sure we retired debt free and not subject to rent, but maintaining a house and paying property taxes aren't free.

All of this relates back to other threads where social housing and the mismanagement of urban planning is involved. My guess is that a lot of this issue relates to rents, and the whole issue surrounding housing markets. There is no way that a fixed income senior can keep up. All quite predictable, but there it is.

Government can not be expected to look after everything. Social housing is only a small part of the equation.

Family is another big part of it. I see a lot around our neighborhood where mom, or the mom in law lives with the kids, who now have their own kids. It is actually quite wonderful for the grand children. I know I really enjoyed it when my grand parents came to live us many years ago. I still miss gramma's baking...

Anyway, yes, more social housing is needed, and perhaps a lot more in the way of social housing designed around the seniors co-op model, which can yield better outcomes for many folks. https://www.seniorliving.org/lifestyles/senior-cooperative-housing/
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

hobbyguy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:The only seniors who are able to remotely keep up with inflation are those who were able to save for their retirement during their working years. CPP and OAP don't even cover expenses, much less any luxuries such as travel.

The reality is that many folks don't plan ahead. "Holiday in Mexico, top up RRSP - hmmm.".

The numbers I was reading earlier today kind of indicate a shift in responsible planning. In 1999 72.6% of seniors were debt free. By 2016 that number had dropped to 58%.

Our CPP and OAS DO cover expenses - because we made sure we retired debt free and not subject to rent, but maintaining a house and paying property taxes aren't free.

All of this relates back to other threads where social housing and the mismanagement of urban planning is involved. My guess is that a lot of this issue relates to rents, and the whole issue surrounding housing markets. There is no way that a fixed income senior can keep up. All quite predictable, but there it is.

Government can not be expected to look after everything. Social housing is only a small part of the equation.

Family is another big part of it. I see a lot around our neighborhood where mom, or the mom in law lives with the kids, who now have their own kids. It is actually quite wonderful for the grand children. I know I really enjoyed it when my grand parents came to live us many years ago. I still miss gramma's baking...

Anyway, yes, more social housing is needed, and perhaps a lot more in the way of social housing designed around the seniors co-op model, which can yield better outcomes for many folks. https://www.seniorliving.org/lifestyles/senior-cooperative-housing/

Yes, CPP and OAS does cover your expenses, and mine, because we own our homes, but it seems we are in the minority. And it's not always because people didn't plan ahead that they can't keep up with inflation now. As the old saying goes, " :cuss: happens". Accidents or illnesses can sometimes wipe out the family savings account.

So whose fault is it that we have runaway inflation? That's what needs to be addressed.

Return to “B.C.”