49895
49893

Ferry review in 2018

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby gordon_as » Dec 15th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Cleaning up after any disaster costs money kids. Get used to it.
New for 2018 : Now posting at the maturity level of the average Lieberal cheerleader. Any intelligent remarks or verifiable facts are probably accidental.

Cactusflower likes this post.
gordon_as
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2689
Likes: 29 posts
Liked in: 828 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Old Techie » Dec 15th, 2017, 9:36 pm

What good is a review that doesn't look at costs/revenues (fares)???? It is just a dog and pony show that is going to waste $250,000 that be paid, no doubt, to a crony of the NDP.


:up:

Dog and pony show for the win, as are all these "studies" that keep getting announced multiple times per week.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2530
Likes: 2132 posts
Liked in: 3445 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 15th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Need to apply for one of these jobs doing reviews and studies
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN
User avatar
Jflem1983
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2948
Likes: 4857 posts
Liked in: 1658 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 16th, 2017, 6:37 am

That would be a very short contract term, they will all be gone with the next election.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Übergod
 
Posts: 1751
Likes: 606 posts
Liked in: 1137 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Old Techie » Dec 16th, 2017, 7:49 am

alanjh595 wrote:That would be a very short contract term, they will all be gone with the next election.


That may be, but in the mean time a guy could rake in a fair bit of coin, to do little more than come to the same conclusions the Liberals already did, if current outcomes are any indicator. :biggrin:

Just think you could earn around 250K for simply saying water is wet, and boats float. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2530
Likes: 2132 posts
Liked in: 3445 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 16th, 2017, 9:18 am

Old Techie wrote:
What good is a review that doesn't look at costs/revenues (fares)???? It is just a dog and pony show that is going to waste $250,000 that be paid, no doubt, to a crony of the NDP.


:up:

Dog and pony show for the win, as are all these "studies" that keep getting announced multiple times per week.


Maybe if the previous government had done a few studies we wouldn't have the horrendous debt load we have today. The cost overruns on each and every project they approved could have been avoided, and the Mt. Polley disaster wouldn't have happened.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1842
Likes: 831 posts
Liked in: 408 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Old Techie » Dec 16th, 2017, 10:10 am

Uhuh, and maybe if the moon was made of Swiss cheese it would be inhabited by gigantic mice. :biggrin:
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2530
Likes: 2132 posts
Liked in: 3445 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 16th, 2017, 11:15 am

Old Techie wrote:Uhuh, and maybe if the moon was made of Swiss cheese it would be inhabited by gigantic mice. :biggrin:


And maybe the BC Liberal supporters are in extreme denial. A review of BC Ferries is long overdue.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1842
Likes: 831 posts
Liked in: 408 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 16th, 2017, 11:42 am

Cactusflower wrote:
Old Techie wrote:Uhuh, and maybe if the moon was made of Swiss cheese it would be inhabited by gigantic mice. :biggrin:


And maybe the BC Liberal supporters are in extreme denial. A review of BC Ferries is long overdue.




Review or scrap the whole thing let it be private
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN
User avatar
Jflem1983
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2948
Likes: 4857 posts
Liked in: 1658 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 16th, 2017, 12:07 pm

[/quote]CF wrote:

Maybe if the previous government had done a few studies we wouldn't have the horrendous debt load we have today. The cost overruns on each and every project they approved could have been avoided, and the Mt. Polley disaster wouldn't have happened.[/quote]

Maybe if the NDP had not approved Mt. Polley there would have not been a problem there?

Anyway, just to point out that your "study" thingy is waay off base:

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/columnists/les-leyne-ferry-review-might-shield-islanders-1.23124443

"Glancing through the playbook of moves governments have made over the years on ferries, this one looks a lot like what the B.C. Liberals ordered up seven years ago.

They asked independent ferry commissioner Gord Macatee to review the legislation under which the system runs. The 2011 report covered the act and much more, as it delved into all facets of the operation and came up with two dozen recommendations. Most of them revolved around the financial-sustainability crisis the system was in."

The Liberals, who renounced their earlier pledge to stop the “political interference” in the ferry system, started meddling with abandon. There was a wrenching series of cutbacks on minor routes that drew sustained outrage from coastal communities. But there was also eventually an $87-million boost to the government’s contribution to the ferry budget.

Combined with cost-cutting and an increase in ridership due to a strong economy, the ferry corporation’s books started to look better. It’s gone two years now with just a two per cent fare hike, on just the major routes."

Oooops! Yup, the BC Liberals DID indeed study and review the ferry system. And they fixed the problems. Ya, the over serviced little islands whined and complained, and ya, maybe some important services cuts were over done. But the basic problem got fixed.

"Trevena started that review on Friday. It’s mildly confusing to have plans locked into place well before a review to look at new plans even starts. What if the reviewer, former deputy minister Blair Redlin, decides the fare policy and the free rides aren’t a good idea?

Here’s a free tip to Redlin: Don’t go there.

They are firm commitments that are made directly to Trevena’s base — Quadra Island and points south and north — so they look to be going ahead regardless.
"

So here we have a politician, and in Trevena one who is clearly clueless, and one with a clear conflict of interest (she lives on Quadra Island) meddling in a crown corporation for political purposes.

Isn't that EXACTLY what you always accuse the Liberals of doing??? (And I don't dispute that they have done so.)
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 7002
Likes: 1784 posts
Liked in: 6194 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 16th, 2017, 1:40 pm

^^First of all, BC Ferries is not a 'crown corporation', thanks to El Gordo. Secondly, what exactly are you complaining about? How many times do you drive the highways and use the various ferry systems across our great province? Do you expect the residents of Kelowna for example, to pay exclusively for the maintenance of those few congested kilometres of Hwy 97? Do you really want there to be tolls on the Arrow Lakes ferries?

And you conveniently omitted one of the very pertinent paragraphs in Mr. Leyne's column. I'll look it up and copy it in my next comment if you can't find it.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1842
Likes: 831 posts
Liked in: 408 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 16th, 2017, 7:18 pm

^^ So then what is clueless Claire up to then?

What? Does Claire know about running a company? Zero.

What? Does Claire know about a ferry system operation? Obviously nothing or she wouldn't need a "review".

This is just another case of NDP pretense at being "studious and careful" when clueless Claire has already decided that SHE gets a 15% cut on the ferry fares to her place on Quadra Island.

Just one more case with the NDP and "the dog ate my homework" - but the decision has already been made and comrade clueless will tell the ferry corporation what to do.

IF Claire Trevena had a clue about proper management of anything besides her political image, then she would quietly get involved with, or initiate if need be, a Lean methodology approach to improving BC Ferries. But instead it will be a politburo dictat regime with clueless Claire at the top.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 7002
Likes: 1784 posts
Liked in: 6194 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 16th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Some men just hate to see women in a position of power. I get that. But tell me, HG, what credentials did Christy Clark have for being Premier of a province? None. What credentials did Mary Polak have for being Environment Minister? None. What credentials did either Suzanne Anton or Shirley Bond have for being Attorney General? None, and none.

And it's not only the women in government who aren't equipped with the right stuff to head up a Ministry. How about Rich Coleman and Mike deJong, who between them were 'Ministers of Everything' in the BC Liberal cabinet during their tenure?

Nope, if you want people with relevant experience running our governments' ministries, you'll have to stop electing politicians and start nominating.......oh, I don't know, doctors or nurses to run as a candidate in your riding so that if they win they can head up the Health Ministry. Perhaps a teacher or professor could be nominated and elected as Education Minister. A lot of politicians are lawyers so I guess any one of them could be Attorney General. Anyway, you really should stop bashing Trevena and start looking for someone in your riding who's an ex-ferry captain or maybe just one of the guys who direct traffic on and off those tubs.

BTW, how much experience did Todd Stone have when he took over the Transportation Ministry?

Omnitheo likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1842
Likes: 831 posts
Liked in: 408 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 17th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Cactusflower wrote:Some men just hate to see women in a position of power. I get that. But tell me, HG, what credentials did Christy Clark have for being Premier of a province? None. What credentials did Mary Polak have for being Environment Minister? None. What credentials did either Suzanne Anton or Shirley Bond have for being Attorney General? None, and none.

And it's not only the women in government who aren't equipped with the right stuff to head up a Ministry. How about Rich Coleman and Mike deJong, who between them were 'Ministers of Everything' in the BC Liberal cabinet during their tenure?

Nope, if you want people with relevant experience running our governments' ministries, you'll have to stop electing politicians and start nominating.......oh, I don't know, doctors or nurses to run as a candidate in your riding so that if they win they can head up the Health Ministry. Perhaps a teacher or professor could be nominated and elected as Education Minister. A lot of politicians are lawyers so I guess any one of them could be Attorney General. Anyway, you really should stop bashing Trevena and start looking for someone in your riding who's an ex-ferry captain or maybe just one of the guys who direct traffic on and off those tubs.

BTW, how much experience did Todd Stone have when he took over the Transportation Ministry?


Your suggestions are way out of line.

I have expressed confidence in Michelle Mungall because despite being a rookie, she brings some relevant background experience to the job.

Claire Trevena has precisely ZERO relevant experience, including not much experience in being a BC resident. She has a reputation for making inane suggestions and comments. (She was also front and center in the backstabbing of Carole James.)

The ONLY reason clueless Claire is a minister is Horgan following the old dictum, "keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer".

Claire Trevena might be qualified in an another ministry, but definitely NOT in this one, and even less so in the context of a business organization.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 7002
Likes: 1784 posts
Liked in: 6194 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Ferry review in 2018

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 17th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Okay, maybe what I said regarding women in power was a tad out of line because I do recall you praising Mungall, and despite the fact that she blew it big time on the energy file, I apologize. Also, I wasn't aware that Trevena was one of the 'baker's dozen'. That is definitely a strike against her. But I think you're wrong about the reason she got that ministry. If I recall, she was the one who represented the North Island and went to bat for the residents of Port Hardy and Bella Coola when Stone closed down that ferry service.

But you haven't been able to refute anything else I stated, such as Rich Coleman, Mike deJong, Christy Clark, and all the other BC Liberal ministers who weren't up to the task of handling their various ministries, and I stand by my comments on that.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1842
Likes: 831 posts
Liked in: 408 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests