47395

Bad dams

Bad dams

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 18th, 2017, 11:47 am

User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2658 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 18th, 2017, 2:40 pm

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.desmog.ca/2017/12/18/b-c-finds-gas-industry-built-numerous-unauthorized-fracking-dams-without-engineering-plans


Could be trouble here


There's trouble already, and if the NDP doesn't get on this immediately, the 'erosion and slope instability' surrounding some of these dams will cause the banks to slide into creeks and rivers, much like has happened during the construction of Site C. It's just too bad it took 16 years for the B.C. electorate to see the damage that has been caused in this province by the BC Liberals' wild west approach to governance.

maryjane48 likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1815
Likes: 817 posts
Liked in: 404 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby Old Techie » Dec 18th, 2017, 5:00 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 18th, 2017, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

alanjh595 likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2515
Likes: 2111 posts
Liked in: 3432 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby Bsuds » Dec 18th, 2017, 5:07 pm

That's a link to a Blog website and not even a News site.
Deja Poo, the feeling I've heard all this crap before!

Walking Wounded likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 41348
Likes: 7459 posts
Liked in: 9469 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Bad dams

Postby Old Techie » Dec 18th, 2017, 5:09 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 18th, 2017, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Bsuds likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2515
Likes: 2111 posts
Liked in: 3432 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby Boda » Dec 18th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Old Techie wrote:So pray tell how would you characterize the 1990's NDP approval of the Mt. Polley Mine dam exactly, if the Liberals were a "wild west" approach as you put it? [icon_lol2.gif]

Let's see you squirm your way out of this one.

Incoming alternate facts alert! :biggrin:


Actually, it's my understanding that the Mt. Polley Mine reservoir burst due to having been filled past it's design capacity.
There was no reason not to approve the original reservoir design.
The failure was due to Mt Polley being permitted to overfill the reservoir thru the Liberal's "self regulating" policies.


Edit to add article:
The Mount Polley mine disaster is an environmental disaster in the Cariboo region of central British Columbia, Canada, that began 4 August 2014 with a breach of the Imperial Metals-owned Mount Polley copper and gold mine tailings pond, releasing its water and slurry with years worth of mining waste into Polley Lake. The spill flooded Polley Lake, its outflow Hazeltine Creek, and continued into nearby Quesnel Lake and Cariboo River. By 8 August the four square kilometres sized tailings pond had been emptied of the majority of supernatant (process water) that sits atop the settled solids (mining waste, or 'tailings'). Water tests showed elevated levels of selenium, arsenic and other metals similar to historical tests before the disaster. The cause of the dam break has been investigated with a final report published 31 January 2015. Imperial Metals had a history of operating the pond beyond capacity since at least 2011.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Boda
Board Meister
 
Posts: 675
Likes: 198 posts
Liked in: 240 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 19th, 2017, 11:48 am

Boda wrote:
Old Techie wrote:So pray tell how would you characterize the 1990's NDP approval of the Mt. Polley Mine dam exactly, if the Liberals were a "wild west" approach as you put it? [icon_lol2.gif]

Let's see you squirm your way out of this one.

Incoming alternate facts alert! :biggrin:


Actually, it's my understanding that the Mt. Polley Mine reservoir burst due to having been filled past it's design capacity.
There was no reason not to approve the original reservoir design.
The failure was due to Mt Polley being permitted to overfill the reservoir thru the Liberal's "self regulating" policies.


Edit to add article:
The Mount Polley mine disaster is an environmental disaster in the Cariboo region of central British Columbia, Canada, that began 4 August 2014 with a breach of the Imperial Metals-owned Mount Polley copper and gold mine tailings pond, releasing its water and slurry with years worth of mining waste into Polley Lake. The spill flooded Polley Lake, its outflow Hazeltine Creek, and continued into nearby Quesnel Lake and Cariboo River. By 8 August the four square kilometres sized tailings pond had been emptied of the majority of supernatant (process water) that sits atop the settled solids (mining waste, or 'tailings'). Water tests showed elevated levels of selenium, arsenic and other metals similar to historical tests before the disaster. The cause of the dam break has been investigated with a final report published 31 January 2015. Imperial Metals had a history of operating the pond beyond capacity since at least 2011.


The BCLP supporters can't handle the truth about Imperial Metals and their failures. That's why your comment is the latest one on this thread. The BCLP did nothing to hold them accountable, and Alaska had to step in to threaten them with lawsuits if they continued to operate in such a slip-shod manner near rivers that are shared by B.C. and Alaska.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1815
Likes: 817 posts
Liked in: 404 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 19th, 2017, 11:53 am

Not sure about calling Mt Polley a "disaster" - seems to be reaching to me by people with an economy-killing loser agenda.

That being said, I support any initiative to make the tailings ponds adhere to standards in which breaks like this one not happen again. I don't trust the evil losers at Desmog in anything they say, and would rather these standards be created by sane people who understand that mining is important to the economy, instead of insane zealots.
3.7 cents kwh in alberta is a lie. The science is settled - wind turbines suck.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25033
Likes: 9948 posts
Liked in: 12219 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Re: Bad dams

Postby Old Techie » Dec 19th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Boda wrote:Actually, it's my understanding that the Mt. Polley Mine reservoir burst due to having been filled past it's design capacity.
There was no reason not to approve the original reservoir design.
The failure was due to Mt Polley being permitted to overfill the reservoir thru the Liberal's "self regulating" policies.



The location of the reservoir was less than ideal, and that was approved by the NDP.

This was brought up in another thread and discussed in detail, I just don't recall where at the moment.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

alanjh595 likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2515
Likes: 2111 posts
Liked in: 3432 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 19th, 2017, 12:29 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:Not sure about calling Mt Polley a "disaster" - seems to be reaching to me by people with an economy-killing loser agenda.

That being said, I support any initiative to make the tailings ponds adhere to standards in which breaks like this one not happen again. I don't trust the evil losers at Desmog in anything they say, and would rather these standards be created by sane people who understand that mining is important to the economy, instead of insane zealots.


Not sure about Mt Polley being a disaster, eh? How many fish have you caught in Quesnel Lake or any of those waterways up there? I suspect you've never been anywhere near that area, and don't even own a fishing rod anyway. Those who live there and made their living in the tourism industry could tell you a thing or two about the Mt Polley tailings pond disaster. And nobody cares what you think about Desmog, because they tell the truth, and you can't handle the truth.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1815
Likes: 817 posts
Liked in: 404 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby JagXKR » Dec 19th, 2017, 12:42 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
Not sure about Mt Polley being a disaster, eh? How many fish have you caught in Quesnel Lake or any of those waterways up there? I suspect you've never been anywhere near that area, and don't even own a fishing rod anyway. Those who live there and made their living in the tourism industry could tell you a thing or two about the Mt Polley tailings pond disaster. And nobody cares what you think about Desmog, because they tell the truth, and you can't handle the truth.


Why don't you ask the owners of this resort? Seems they are in business and doing well.

http://elysiaresort.com/index.html
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

alanjh595 likes this post.
User avatar
JagXKR
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 795
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 619 posts
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 5:25 am
Location: Penticton

Re: Bad dams

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 19th, 2017, 12:50 pm

JagXKR wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
Not sure about Mt Polley being a disaster, eh? How many fish have you caught in Quesnel Lake or any of those waterways up there? I suspect you've never been anywhere near that area, and don't even own a fishing rod anyway. Those who live there and made their living in the tourism industry could tell you a thing or two about the Mt Polley tailings pond disaster. And nobody cares what you think about Desmog, because they tell the truth, and you can't handle the truth.


Why don't you ask the owners of this resort? Seems they are in business and doing well.

http://elysiaresort.com/index.html


Well, what did you expect them to do........throw in the towel? They can't afford to do that, so they have to try to carry on. Thanks for the link, though. I'll be heading up that way next summer and I'll drop in to see how they're doing. I'll try to remember to get back to you then.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1815
Likes: 817 posts
Liked in: 404 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 19th, 2017, 1:15 pm

JagXKR wrote:Why don't you ask the owners of this resort? Seems they are in business and doing well.
http://elysiaresort.com/index.html


That is an excellent link to debunk all of the desmog rhetoric. They are doing very well and have lots of photos to prove the health of that lake and the tourism industry.

Good job Jag.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Übergod
 
Posts: 1672
Likes: 576 posts
Liked in: 1089 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby Boda » Dec 19th, 2017, 1:53 pm

alanjh595 wrote:That is an excellent link to debunk all of the desmog rhetoric. They are doing very well and have lots of photos to prove the health of that lake and the tourism industry.

Good job Jag.


Take a look at the size of Quesnel Lake. It's the deepest lake in BC. Yes it will recover, and tourism will recover, but damage to the ecosystem did occur.
WADR, in your opinion does the fact that the damage is not permanent render criticism of the negligence causing said failure as rhetoric?

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Boda
Board Meister
 
Posts: 675
Likes: 198 posts
Liked in: 240 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2007, 3:21 pm

Re: Bad dams

Postby Glacier » Dec 19th, 2017, 2:02 pm

B.C. Finds Gas Industry Built Numerous Unauthorized Fracking Dams

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25941
Likes: 2445 posts
Liked in: 8114 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Next

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests