maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Bad dams

Post by maryjane48 »

Cactusflower
Banned

Re: Bad dams

Post by Cactusflower »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.desmog.ca/2017/12/18/b-c-finds-gas-industry-built-numerous-unauthorized-fracking-dams-without-engineering-plans

Could be trouble here

There's trouble already, and if the NDP doesn't get on this immediately, the 'erosion and slope instability' surrounding some of these dams will cause the banks to slide into creeks and rivers, much like has happened during the construction of Site C. It's just too bad it took 16 years for the B.C. electorate to see the damage that has been caused in this province by the BC Liberals' wild west approach to governance.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 18th, 2017, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's a link to a Blog website and not even a News site.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 18th, 2017, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Old Techie wrote:So pray tell how would you characterize the 1990's NDP approval of the Mt. Polley Mine dam exactly, if the Liberals were a "wild west" approach as you put it? [icon_lol2.gif]

Let's see you squirm your way out of this one.

Incoming alternate facts alert! :biggrin:

Actually, it's my understanding that the Mt. Polley Mine reservoir burst due to having been filled past it's design capacity.
There was no reason not to approve the original reservoir design.
The failure was due to Mt Polley being permitted to overfill the reservoir thru the Liberal's "self regulating" policies.

Edit to add article:
The Mount Polley mine disaster is an environmental disaster in the Cariboo region of central British Columbia, Canada, that began 4 August 2014 with a breach of the Imperial Metals-owned Mount Polley copper and gold mine tailings pond, releasing its water and slurry with years worth of mining waste into Polley Lake. The spill flooded Polley Lake, its outflow Hazeltine Creek, and continued into nearby Quesnel Lake and Cariboo River. By 8 August the four square kilometres sized tailings pond had been emptied of the majority of supernatant (process water) that sits atop the settled solids (mining waste, or 'tailings'). Water tests showed elevated levels of selenium, arsenic and other metals similar to historical tests before the disaster. The cause of the dam break has been investigated with a final report published 31 January 2015. Imperial Metals had a history of operating the pond beyond capacity since at least 2011.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Boda wrote:
Old Techie wrote:So pray tell how would you characterize the 1990's NDP approval of the Mt. Polley Mine dam exactly, if the Liberals were a "wild west" approach as you put it? [icon_lol2.gif]

Let's see you squirm your way out of this one.

Incoming alternate facts alert! :biggrin:

Actually, it's my understanding that the Mt. Polley Mine reservoir burst due to having been filled past it's design capacity.
The failure was due to Mt Polley being permitted to overfill the reservoir thru the Liberal's "self regulating" policies.

Edit to add article:
The Mount Polley mine disaster is an environmental disaster in the Cariboo region of central British Columbia, Canada, that began 4 August 2014 with a breach of the Imperial Metals-owned Mount Polley copper and gold mine tailings pond, releasing its water and slurry with years worth of mining waste into Polley Lake. The spill flooded Polley Lake, its outflow Hazeltine Creek, and continued into nearby Quesnel Lake and Cariboo River. By 8 August the four square kilometres sized tailings pond had been emptied of the majority of supernatant (process water) that sits atop the settled solids (mining waste, or 'tailings'). Water tests showed elevated levels of selenium, arsenic and other metals similar to historical tests before the disaster. The cause of the dam break has been investigated with a final report published 31 January 2015. Imperial Metals had a history of operating the pond beyond capacity since at least 2011.

The BCLP supporters can't handle the truth about Imperial Metals and their failures. That's why your comment is the latest one on this thread. The BCLP did nothing to hold them accountable, and Alaska had to step in to threaten them with lawsuits if they continued to operate in such a slip-shod manner near rivers that are shared by B.C. and Alaska.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Not sure about calling Mt Polley a "disaster" - seems to be reaching to me by people with an economy-killing loser agenda.

That being said, I support any initiative to make the tailings ponds adhere to standards in which breaks like this one not happen again. I don't trust the evil losers at Desmog in anything they say, and would rather these standards be created by sane people who understand that mining is important to the economy, instead of insane zealots.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Boda wrote:Actually, it's my understanding that the Mt. Polley Mine reservoir burst due to having been filled past it's design capacity.

The location of the reservoir was less than ideal, and that was approved by the NDP.

This was brought up in another thread and discussed in detail, I just don't recall where at the moment.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Not sure about calling Mt Polley a "disaster" - seems to be reaching to me by people with an economy-killing loser agenda.

That being said, I support any initiative to make the tailings ponds adhere to standards in which breaks like this one not happen again. I don't trust the evil losers at Desmog in anything they say, and would rather these standards be created by sane people who understand that mining is important to the economy, instead of insane zealots.

Not sure about Mt Polley being a disaster, eh? How many fish have you caught in Quesnel Lake or any of those waterways up there? I suspect you've never been anywhere near that area, and don't even own a fishing rod anyway. Those who live there and made their living in the tourism industry could tell you a thing or two about the Mt Polley tailings pond disaster. And nobody cares what you think about Desmog, because they tell the truth, and you can't handle the truth.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Cactusflower wrote:
Not sure about Mt Polley being a disaster, eh? How many fish have you caught in Quesnel Lake or any of those waterways up there? I suspect you've never been anywhere near that area, and don't even own a fishing rod anyway. Those who live there and made their living in the tourism industry could tell you a thing or two about the Mt Polley tailings pond disaster. And nobody cares what you think about Desmog, because they tell the truth, and you can't handle the truth.

Why don't you ask the owners of this resort? Seems they are in business and doing well.

http://elysiaresort.com/index.html
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

JagXKR wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

Why don't you ask the owners of this resort? Seems they are in business and doing well.

Well, what did you expect them to do........throw in the towel? They can't afford to do that, so they have to try to carry on. Thanks for the link, though. I'll be heading up that way next summer and I'll drop in to see how they're doing. I'll try to remember to get back to you then.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

JagXKR wrote:Why don't you ask the owners of this resort? Seems they are in business and doing well.

That is an excellent link to debunk all of the desmog rhetoric. They are doing very well and have lots of photos to prove the health of that lake and the tourism industry.

Good job Jag.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

alanjh595 wrote:That is an excellent link to debunk all of the desmog rhetoric. They are doing very well and have lots of photos to prove the health of that lake and the tourism industry.

Good job Jag.

Take a look at the size of Quesnel Lake. It's the deepest lake in BC. Yes it will recover, and tourism will recover, but damage to the ecosystem did occur.
WADR, in your opinion does the fact that the damage is not permanent render criticism of the negligence causing said failure as rhetoric?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

B.C. Finds Gas Industry Built Numerous Unauthorized Fracking Dams

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”