50959
50233

The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 19th, 2017, 3:12 pm

https://davidsuzuki.org/story/oil-spill ... e-postcard



Disaster waiting to happen
After examining potential impacts of a 15,000-cubic-metre oil spill in B.C. waters on 21 marine mammals, researchers concluded most individuals would be at risk and a few local populations wouldn’t survive. Baleen whales, for example, are highly susceptible to ingesting oil because they breathe through blowholes, filter and eat food from the ocean surface and rely on invertebrate prey. Oil residue can stick to the baleen, restricting the amount of food they consume.

Resident and transient killer whales, sea otters and Steller sea lions were most likely to see a drop in population levels from an oil spill. Killer whales are especially vulnerable because of their small populations, low reproductive rates, dietary specialization, long lives and complex social structure. The 76 southern resident killer whales off the B.C. coast, Canada’s most endangered marine mammal, are particularly threatened by oil spills, as well as ship strikes and underwater noise that hinders their ability to feed and communicate.

Cactusflower likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2658 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby twobits » Dec 19th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Seriously? David Suzuki? Have you not yet clued into the fact that he is an absolute fraud that has just milked environmentalism for profit. He has several million dollar homes that are nowhere close to carbon neutral and jets all over the world preaching his hypocrisy for profit staying in penthouse suites with "an girl (bodacious tata's) staff."
I believe it was the Bible that says the meek shall inherit the earth. I have come to the conclusion that a more appropriate prophecy is that the gullible and stupid will get to vote and end the earth.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

5 people like this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6034
Likes: 518 posts
Liked in: 2315 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 8:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby bob vernon » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Remember the Exxon Valdez? Alaskan oil spill. It was back in the 1980s, so they hope you'd forgotten. Google it and refresh yourself. How many years did it take before Exxon finally settled? TWENTY-SIX. Many of the fishermen whose livelihoods were paved over passed away before they could collect a cent. Exxon fought every detail, every judicial decision, every inch of the way, seeking delay after delay until a more favourable judge was on the case, offering to settle and then showing up in court for the settlement only to spring another round of delaying tactics. And they wonder why Canadian fishermen are against oil tankers. TWENTY-SIX YEARS.

3 people like this post.
bob vernon
Übergod
 
Posts: 1880
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 958 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 9:37 am

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:04 pm

bob vernon wrote:It was back in the 1980s, so they hope you'd forgotten.

Who's "they"? :135:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10461
Likes: 4253 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby bob vernon » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Those same good corporate citizens who shipped oil then and want to have another chance to make the same mistake.

2 people like this post.
bob vernon
Übergod
 
Posts: 1880
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 958 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 9:37 am

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:08 pm

bob vernon wrote:Those same good corporate citizens who shipped oil then and want to have another chance to make the same mistake.

Oh, you mean the companies that ship the product we, the consumer, demand they ship - gotcha :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10461
Likes: 4253 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby Old Techie » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:41 pm

bob vernon wrote:Remember the Exxon Valdez? Alaskan oil spill. It was back in the 1980s, so they hope you'd forgotten. Google it and refresh yourself. How many years did it take before Exxon finally settled? TWENTY-SIX. Many of the fishermen whose livelihoods were paved over passed away before they could collect a cent. Exxon fought every detail, every judicial decision, every inch of the way, seeking delay after delay until a more favourable judge was on the case, offering to settle and then showing up in court for the settlement only to spring another round of delaying tactics. And they wonder why Canadian fishermen are against oil tankers. TWENTY-SIX YEARS.


I guess the fact that tanker design was changed to double hull during those 26yrs, in the interest of safety, has no bearing on the issue at all eh?
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2527
Likes: 2131 posts
Liked in: 3445 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 19th, 2017, 9:44 pm

Old Techie wrote:
I guess the fact that tanker design was changed to double hull during those 26yrs, in the interest of safety, has no bearing on the issue at all eh?

Shhhh! They don't want you to know that :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10461
Likes: 4253 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 19th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Lol again if you think its cool to support dirty oil your not. Infact your uncool.
If oils so safe lets get your address so we can come dump used motor oil in your yard :smt045

I didnt think so .

I already proved anything made from carbon oil can be made from plant oil or seed oil plus it biodegrades .

Your argument doesnt hold up to.logic .

Plus we already had oil spills at burnaby plant that had nothing to do with a ship annd we tax payers had to pay for those spills as bclibs looked the other way .
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2658 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 20th, 2017, 7:37 am

bob vernon wrote:Remember the Exxon Valdez? .


Yes it was a long time ago. So long ago that it's only now remembered by fear-mongering eco-nuts. It's a testament to the safety of oil tanker traffic that the only accident that these nuts can point at happened decades ago. What a great job mankind has done in making these oil-carrying ocean-going vessels so safe. So safe that they make fear-mongering frauds like David Suzuki look beyond stupid when they play their games. Does David Suzuki need a fifth house? Why doesn't he just fade away already?
3.7 cents kwh in alberta is a lie. The science is settled - wind turbines suck.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25052
Likes: 9975 posts
Liked in: 12252 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 20th, 2017, 7:38 am

maryjane48 wrote:Lol again if you think its cool to support dirty oil your not. Infact your uncool.


What's uncool are eco-lunatics who just lie their arses off to suit a diseased economy-killing agenda.
3.7 cents kwh in alberta is a lie. The science is settled - wind turbines suck.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25052
Likes: 9975 posts
Liked in: 12252 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 20th, 2017, 7:39 am

Old Techie wrote:
I guess the fact that tanker design was changed to double hull during those 26yrs, in the interest of safety, has no bearing on the issue at all eh?


and boom goes the eco-loon dynamite
3.7 cents kwh in alberta is a lie. The science is settled - wind turbines suck.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.

Walking Wounded likes this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25052
Likes: 9975 posts
Liked in: 12252 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby LordEd » Dec 20th, 2017, 7:49 am

maryjane48 wrote:If oils so safe lets get your address so we can come dump used motor oil in your yard :smt045
As long as we can do the same with all of the byproducts of manufacturing raw materials for solar panels to your address.

3 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3473
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 1962 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 8:22 am

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 20th, 2017, 7:55 am

maryjane48 wrote:Lol again if you think its cool to support dirty oil your not. Infact your uncool.
If oils so safe lets get your address so we can come dump used motor oil in your yard :smt045

I didnt think so .

I already proved anything made from carbon oil can be made from plant oil or seed oil plus it biodegrades .

Your argument doesnt hold up to.logic .

Plus we already had oil spills at burnaby plant that had nothing to do with a ship annd we tax payers had to pay for those spills as bclibs looked the other way .

So you use no petroleum products on a daily basis what so ever? Everything you use is made of plant or seed oil? And how is all that plant and seed oil harvested and transported?

Logic my arse lol
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

7 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10461
Likes: 4253 posts
Liked in: 4842 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: The dangers of a oil spill on bc coastal waters

Postby vegas1500 » Dec 20th, 2017, 5:49 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Lol again if you think its cool to support dirty oil your not. Infact your uncool.
If oils so safe lets get your address so we can come dump used motor oil in your yard :smt045

I didnt think so .

I already proved anything made from carbon oil can be made from plant oil or seed oil plus it biodegrades .

Your argument doesnt hold up to.logic .

Plus we already had oil spills at burnaby plant that had nothing to do with a ship annd we tax payers had to pay for those spills as bclibs looked the other way .


I guess, according to you, there’s lots of uncool people on this forum.....personally the fact you think dirty oil is uncool, probably means :cuss: to everyone.... :biggrin:

Walking Wounded likes this post.
User avatar
vegas1500
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 838
Likes: 2474 posts
Liked in: 1026 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Next

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cactusflower and 3 guests