Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 29th, 2017, 3:26 pm

The Keystone Pipeline System is an oil pipeline system in Canada and the United States, commissioned in 2010 and now owned solely by TransCanada Corporation. It runs from the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin in Alberta to refineries in Illinois and Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline


What does this have to do with the topic of; Dilbit spill could hurt salmon??

How many Salmon are there between Texas and Alberta?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4466
Likes: 1679 posts
Liked in: 2661 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 29th, 2017, 5:13 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
The Keystone Pipeline System is an oil pipeline system in Canada and the United States, commissioned in 2010 and now owned solely by TransCanada Corporation. It runs from the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin in Alberta to refineries in Illinois and Texas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline


What does this have to do with the topic of; Dilbit spill could hurt salmon??

How many Salmon are there between Texas and Alberta?


Try again. Nobody said anything about salmon in Alberta or Texas. We were discussing the KM/TM pipeline expansion, which will cross salmon-bearing streams. Otherwise why would KM start laying down that orange fencing to stop salmon from spawning where they think the pipeline's going to go?

I merely pointed out that 'Big Oil' has been trying to build pipelines from the 'oil' sands in AB to the coast.......ANY coast. They have failed miserably with Energy East and Keystone XL. They also failed to get one going north (probably before your time). So they're desperate to get one to the Pacific, and that's not going to happen in the foreseeable future.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3540
Likes: 1701 posts
Liked in: 742 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 29th, 2017, 5:22 pm

There is sure a lot of speculation and suppositions that have no basis of fact or evidence to support them.

Maybe, perhaps, or possibly, someday, there might be a Salmon in Texas. BUT as far as I know, they smoke them and eat them and the come from the Atlantic Ocean or a fish farm in BC for the really good stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
User avatar
alanjh595
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4466
Likes: 1679 posts
Liked in: 2661 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 29th, 2017, 8:02 pm

alanjh595 wrote:There is sure a lot of speculation and suppositions that have no basis of fact or evidence to support them.

Maybe, perhaps, or possibly, someday, there might be a Salmon in Texas. BUT as far as I know, they smoke them and eat them and the come from the Atlantic Ocean or a fish farm in BC for the really good stuff.


Wrong again. Most of them come to B.C. to catch wild salmon. They smuggle food and booze over the border so they don't have to buy anything while they're here. They either stay long enough to smoke and/or can their catch, or get the locals to freeze it for them, then fly home. If there are any who buy farmed Atlantic salmon to smoke, you can always tell who they are by who they vote for. They're the ones who vote for Trump's Tea Party.

Now, :topic:
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3540
Likes: 1701 posts
Liked in: 742 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby LordEd » Dec 29th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Cactusflower wrote:[
Wrong again. Most of them come to B.C. to catch wild salmon. They smuggle food and booze over the border so they don't have to buy anything while they're here. They either stay long enough to smoke and/or can their catch, or get the locals to freeze it for them, then fly home.

Hasty generalization. Please support the statements, in particular the one where 'most of them' smuggle booze and food to avoid spending money locally.

What port of entry is not inspecting them? Which customs office?

2 people like this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3640
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2109 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby LordEd » Dec 29th, 2017, 8:32 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 30th, 2017, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3640
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2109 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 29th, 2017, 9:38 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 30th, 2017, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3540
Likes: 1701 posts
Liked in: 742 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby LordEd » Dec 30th, 2017, 9:33 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 30th, 2017, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3640
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 2109 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 30th, 2017, 11:35 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 30th, 2017, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3540
Likes: 1701 posts
Liked in: 742 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 30th, 2017, 11:48 am

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Dec 30th, 2017, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27735
Likes: 11852 posts
Liked in: 15694 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby twobits » Dec 30th, 2017, 7:08 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Heres what vancouver aquarium dr had to say

Dr. Martin Helina, of the Vancouver Aquarium, said [b]there could be[/b] long-term toxic effects on any exposed animals.

"They [toxins] hurt the liver, [b]might[/b] infect the lungs, might[/b] hurt red blood cells, [b]might affect reproduction many, many years down the line," he said.


Well done MJ. Seems like a whole lot of "mights" and "could be's" which means to me to be nothing but speculation without any science backup.

Dr Twobits said there might be and could be brain addled comments made by consumers of weed and alcohol in excess.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 6382
Likes: 635 posts
Liked in: 2741 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 15th, 2018, 10:51 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/oil-tanker ... -1.4487656
I suppose the supporters of dilbit export think this couldn't happen in B.C.'s coastal waters. Think again. This accident, as with all others in history, was caused by human error. All the arguments that contain phrases like 'double-hulled vessels' sound pretty lame when hearing about a tragedy such as this one.
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3540
Likes: 1701 posts
Liked in: 742 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby hobbyguy » Jan 15th, 2018, 11:55 am

Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/oil-tanker-fire-sunk-oil-slick-east-china-sea-1.4487656
I suppose the supporters of dilbit export think this couldn't happen in B.C.'s coastal waters. Think again. This accident, as with all others in history, was caused by human error. All the arguments that contain phrases like 'double-hulled vessels' sound pretty lame when hearing about a tragedy such as this one.


You do realize that was an Iranian tanker carrying condensate? Not dilbit.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 8203
Likes: 2277 posts
Liked in: 8635 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby Cactusflower » Jan 15th, 2018, 12:42 pm

hobbyguy wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/oil-tanker-fire-sunk-oil-slick-east-china-sea-1.4487656
I suppose the supporters of dilbit export think this couldn't happen in B.C.'s coastal waters. Think again. This accident, as with all others in history, was caused by human error. All the arguments that contain phrases like 'double-hulled vessels' sound pretty lame when hearing about a tragedy such as this one.


You do realize that was an Iranian tanker carrying condensate? Not dilbit.


Read it and weep. Splitting hairs doesn't make for a good argument:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbit
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3540
Likes: 1701 posts
Liked in: 742 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Dilbit spill could hurt salmon

Postby Fancy » Jan 15th, 2018, 12:46 pm

It was carrying
an ultra-light, highly flammable crude oil
.
Last edited by Fancy on Jan 15th, 2018, 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

alanjh595 likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 45358
Likes: 1122 posts
Liked in: 5897 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests