$5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Post by TreeGuy »

Am I the only one that sees an opportunity to help with homelessness.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Spend $200 million on a new one or keep one going for a year at 1.5% of replacement cost. The economics of the decision to keep the tub in service were sound. People with absolutely no business background may think differently, however. They also vote NDP.

Absolutely correct!!!!

This is comparable to the average Joe deciding that instead of replacing brake pads to scrap their car and buy a new truck... The piece of info that is missing was the segmented profit that ferry contributed in that 1 year because of that 3M repair and maintenance.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote: Take it up near Prince Rupert and rent out rooms to all the pipeline workers that are going to be there soon. After the pipeline is finished, turn it into a hotel for all the trophy Salmon fishers. With that new ferry that will be sailing there soon, people will be flocking to the area to fishing. It will a much shorter trip for all that are working in the oil sands to come and spend their money on a once in a lifetime fishing trip where they can limit out every day and take their bounty back to Alberta with them.
You might even be able to use wood to heat the whole boat with. Free heat, hot water, cooking. Install a Dilbit fired generator for electricity, there should be lots of that in the area real soon.

Christmas Eve and the comedians are out in full force. I don't find it the least bit funny that BC Ferries would spend $3 million dollars of our money to repair an old tub that had to be taken out of service within a year anyway. And if you guys who think it made more money during those months than we spent on the repairs would like to present some figures here, I'd be very appreciative.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

That boat is now 52 years old, how much did it make during those 50 years? Didn't the old girl worthy of one last chance of living on before the replacement arrived? That is the problem with society today, this generation is full of the, "Use it and dispose of it" mentality.
https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Ma ... cctid=9470

I guess they could try and fix all of the problems the old girl has and risking leak oil in the environmentally sensitive Salmon grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1efed8I_og

Still looks in pretty good shape.

Bring back the LIKE button.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Cactusflower wrote:
Christmas Eve and the comedians are out in full force. I don't find it the least bit funny that BC Ferries would spend $3 million dollars of our money to repair an old tub that had to be taken out of service within a year anyway. And if you guys who think it made more money during those months than we spent on the repairs would like to present some figures here, I'd be very appreciative.

Did they have a replacement ship just sitting there for the last year?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:That boat is now 52 years old, how much did it make during those 50 years? Didn't the old girl worthy of one last chance of living on before the replacement arrived? That is the problem with society today, this generation is full of the, "Use it and dispose of it" mentality.
https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Ma ... cctid=9470

I guess they could try and fix all of the problems the old girl has and risking leak oil in the environmentally sensitive Salmon grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1efed8I_og

Still looks in pretty good shape.

The answer to your first question is, "That's irrelevant". Are you saying that a boat should live on indefinitely? Yes, we live in a throw-away society but this is about the worst analogy I've heard in a long time. The answer to your second question is, "No". That's almost as bad as continuing to spend billions more on an unnecessary dam.Then you contradict yourself by saying the old girl is in such bad shape that she's not even environmentally capable of sailing under her own steam. They should have known that before they spent $3 million worth of taxpayers' money.

I stand by my comment that El Gordo didn't do us any favours when he decided to 'privatize' BC Ferries while at the same time having the government hold the only shares in the corporation.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

You obviously did not read the provided link, otherwise you would have not made that comment. Why is it that everything for you surrounds site c? You do understand that it was the NDG government that gave it's blessing for the project, right?
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:

Did they have a replacement ship just sitting there for the last year?

Looks like they did:
http://www.vancouversun.com/stephen+hum ... story.html
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Sure make for a unique farm house at the Homestead.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Cactusflower wrote:
alanjh595 wrote: Take it up near Prince Rupert and rent out rooms to all the pipeline workers that are going to be there soon. After the pipeline is finished, turn it into a hotel for all the trophy Salmon fishers. With that new ferry that will be sailing there soon, people will be flocking to the area to fishing. It will a much shorter trip for all that are working in the oil sands to come and spend their money on a once in a lifetime fishing trip where they can limit out every day and take their bounty back to Alberta with them.
You might even be able to use wood to heat the whole boat with. Free heat, hot water, cooking. Install a Dilbit fired generator for electricity, there should be lots of that in the area real soon.

I still don't think anyone is being a comedian... The 3M is nothing in comparison with BC ferries operating budget. They are a profitable corporation (taxpayers aren't paying the 3M) In 2016 they spent $79,387,000 on maintenance alone, in 2017 they improved that and spent $74,165,000, and that would include the 3M your so concerned about. They profited $133,062,000 which was also an improvement from the $125,553,000 they profited in 2016.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

^^Just think how profitable they'd be if they stopped pulling stunts like this:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What "stunts"? The boat broke, it happens.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Cactusflower wrote:^^Just think how profitable they'd be if they stopped pulling stunts like this:

Or you could ask how much more money would all the critics allow them to pump into a ferry that can no longer sail? They recognized it as a sunk cost and sold it off. Not every single route and sailing can always be profitable and thats the difficult part because it still is considered an essential service.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
I'm sure glad you're not my accountant.

why? Because you only hire NDP accountants who can't do basic math? What a silly statement. Just admit you don't get it, have been made to look foolish yet again, and move on.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:. Pity the taxpayer is on the hook for political decisions.

exactly. Which is why the NDP hasn't won an election in over 20 years.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”