47395

$5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 24th, 2017, 9:48 am

Am I the only one that sees an opportunity to help with homelessness.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Übergod
 
Posts: 1657
Likes: 698 posts
Liked in: 1461 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 9:02 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby Jhunter199 » Dec 24th, 2017, 9:51 am

Gone_Fishin wrote:Spend $200 million on a new one or keep one going for a year at 1.5% of replacement cost. The economics of the decision to keep the tub in service were sound. People with absolutely no business background may think differently, however. They also vote NDP.


Absolutely correct!!!!

This is comparable to the average Joe deciding that instead of replacing brake pads to scrap their car and buy a new truck... The piece of info that is missing was the segmented profit that ferry contributed in that 1 year because of that 3M repair and maintenance.

6 people like this post.
Jhunter199
 
Posts: 78
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 24th, 2017, 10:22 am

alanjh595 wrote: Take it up near Prince Rupert and rent out rooms to all the pipeline workers that are going to be there soon. After the pipeline is finished, turn it into a hotel for all the trophy Salmon fishers. With that new ferry that will be sailing there soon, people will be flocking to the area to fishing. It will a much shorter trip for all that are working in the oil sands to come and spend their money on a once in a lifetime fishing trip where they can limit out every day and take their bounty back to Alberta with them.
You might even be able to use wood to heat the whole boat with. Free heat, hot water, cooking. Install a Dilbit fired generator for electricity, there should be lots of that in the area real soon.


Christmas Eve and the comedians are out in full force. I don't find it the least bit funny that BC Ferries would spend $3 million dollars of our money to repair an old tub that had to be taken out of service within a year anyway. And if you guys who think it made more money during those months than we spent on the repairs would like to present some figures here, I'd be very appreciative.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1816
Likes: 819 posts
Liked in: 404 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 24th, 2017, 10:47 am

That boat is now 52 years old, how much did it make during those 50 years? Didn't the old girl worthy of one last chance of living on before the replacement arrived? That is the problem with society today, this generation is full of the, "Use it and dispose of it" mentality.
https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Ma ... cctid=9470

I guess they could try and fix all of the problems the old girl has and risking leak oil in the environmentally sensitive Salmon grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1efed8I_og

Still looks in pretty good shape.
Image

Image

2 people like this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Übergod
 
Posts: 1682
Likes: 586 posts
Liked in: 1099 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 24th, 2017, 11:12 am

Cactusflower wrote:
Christmas Eve and the comedians are out in full force. I don't find it the least bit funny that BC Ferries would spend $3 million dollars of our money to repair an old tub that had to be taken out of service within a year anyway. And if you guys who think it made more money during those months than we spent on the repairs would like to present some figures here, I'd be very appreciative.

Did they have a replacement ship just sitting there for the last year?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10454
Likes: 4249 posts
Liked in: 4834 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 24th, 2017, 11:27 am

alanjh595 wrote:That boat is now 52 years old, how much did it make during those 50 years? Didn't the old girl worthy of one last chance of living on before the replacement arrived? That is the problem with society today, this generation is full of the, "Use it and dispose of it" mentality.
https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Ma ... cctid=9470

I guess they could try and fix all of the problems the old girl has and risking leak oil in the environmentally sensitive Salmon grounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1efed8I_og

Still looks in pretty good shape.
Image

Image


The answer to your first question is, "That's irrelevant". Are you saying that a boat should live on indefinitely? Yes, we live in a throw-away society but this is about the worst analogy I've heard in a long time. The answer to your second question is, "No". That's almost as bad as continuing to spend billions more on an unnecessary dam.Then you contradict yourself by saying the old girl is in such bad shape that she's not even environmentally capable of sailing under her own steam. They should have known that before they spent $3 million worth of taxpayers' money.

I stand by my comment that El Gordo didn't do us any favours when he decided to 'privatize' BC Ferries while at the same time having the government hold the only shares in the corporation.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1816
Likes: 819 posts
Liked in: 404 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 24th, 2017, 11:31 am

You obviously did not read the provided link, otherwise you would have not made that comment. Why is it that everything for you surrounds site c? You do understand that it was the NDG government that gave it's blessing for the project, right?

3 people like this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Übergod
 
Posts: 1682
Likes: 586 posts
Liked in: 1099 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 24th, 2017, 11:35 am

Dizzy1 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:
Christmas Eve and the comedians are out in full force. I don't find it the least bit funny that BC Ferries would spend $3 million dollars of our money to repair an old tub that had to be taken out of service within a year anyway. And if you guys who think it made more money during those months than we spent on the repairs would like to present some figures here, I'd be very appreciative.

Did they have a replacement ship just sitting there for the last year?


Looks like they did:
http://www.vancouversun.com/stephen+hum ... story.html

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1816
Likes: 819 posts
Liked in: 404 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 24th, 2017, 11:46 am

Sure make for a unique farm house at the Homestead.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Jflem1983 likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru
 
Posts: 5733
Likes: 3734 posts
Liked in: 2151 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2008, 6:00 pm
Location: Central OK

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby Jhunter199 » Dec 24th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
alanjh595 wrote: Take it up near Prince Rupert and rent out rooms to all the pipeline workers that are going to be there soon. After the pipeline is finished, turn it into a hotel for all the trophy Salmon fishers. With that new ferry that will be sailing there soon, people will be flocking to the area to fishing. It will a much shorter trip for all that are working in the oil sands to come and spend their money on a once in a lifetime fishing trip where they can limit out every day and take their bounty back to Alberta with them.
You might even be able to use wood to heat the whole boat with. Free heat, hot water, cooking. Install a Dilbit fired generator for electricity, there should be lots of that in the area real soon.


Christmas Eve and the comedians are out in full force. I don't find it the least bit funny that BC Ferries would spend $3 million dollars of our money to repair an old tub that had to be taken out of service within a year anyway. And if you guys who think it made more money during those months than we spent on the repairs would like to present some figures here, I'd be very appreciative.


I still don't think anyone is being a comedian... The 3M is nothing in comparison with BC ferries operating budget. They are a profitable corporation (taxpayers aren't paying the 3M) In 2016 they spent $79,387,000 on maintenance alone, in 2017 they improved that and spent $74,165,000, and that would include the 3M your so concerned about. They profited $133,062,000 which was also an improvement from the $125,553,000 they profited in 2016.

2 people like this post.
Jhunter199
 
Posts: 78
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby Cactusflower » Dec 24th, 2017, 1:26 pm

^^Just think how profitable they'd be if they stopped pulling stunts like this:
http://www.vancouversun.com/stephen+hum ... story.html
Cactusflower
Übergod
 
Posts: 1816
Likes: 819 posts
Liked in: 404 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 24th, 2017, 1:29 pm

What "stunts"? The boat broke, it happens.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Übergod
 
Posts: 1682
Likes: 586 posts
Liked in: 1099 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby Jhunter199 » Dec 24th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Cactusflower wrote:^^Just think how profitable they'd be if they stopped pulling stunts like this:
http://www.vancouversun.com/stephen+hum ... story.html


Or you could ask how much more money would all the critics allow them to pump into a ferry that can no longer sail? They recognized it as a sunk cost and sold it off. Not every single route and sailing can always be profitable and thats the difficult part because it still is considered an essential service.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
Jhunter199
 
Posts: 78
Likes: 94 posts
Liked in: 76 posts
Joined: Apr 18th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 27th, 2017, 10:12 am

Cactusflower wrote:
I'm sure glad you're not my accountant.


why? Because you only hire NDP accountants who can't do basic math? What a silly statement. Just admit you don't get it, have been made to look foolish yet again, and move on.
3.7 cents kwh in alberta is a lie. The science is settled - wind turbines suck.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25044
Likes: 9965 posts
Liked in: 12239 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

Re: $5,000 opening bid on BC Ferry

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 27th, 2017, 10:13 am

flamingfingers wrote:. Pity the taxpayer is on the hook for political decisions.


exactly. Which is why the NDP hasn't won an election in over 20 years.
3.7 cents kwh in alberta is a lie. The science is settled - wind turbines suck.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25044
Likes: 9965 posts
Liked in: 12239 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:13 am

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests