BC Liberal leader - 2 months to go!!

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: BC Liberal leader - 2 months to go!!

Post by JagXKR »

As a non political party member I have no vote on any leadership race in any political theater. That being said I like the 3 candidates Martyn suggests. Stone, Wilkinson and de Jong. And I agree Stone would be the best. But with all politics it is just a guess whether they will actually be a good leader.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    John Crawford wrote:well Ladies, Gentlemen and those of undefined gender.
    I came over to this forum, to see who may or may not be voting for whoever, in the up coming party leadership race, and all I read is squabbling among children with no constructive criticism of any of the candidates. would appreciate some constructive advice on the candidates, not the difference between to two (three) parties.
    Receiving lots of emails from the candidates, all with; Look at me, Look at me speal, along with politician speak, and political promises. and we all are aware of political promises, whether its from a politician, or a political party of any persuasion.
Good on you for getting us back on topic. I'm not a big fan of Martyn Brown but he has an interesting analysis here of who should win the leadership:

https://www.straight.com/news/1011196/m ... should-win

For those who don't want to read the article I'll tell you that he has some good reasons for picking Todd Stone as the best choice for the Liberals.

Martyn Brown, former Campbell yes-man, now columnist at the Georgia Straight. [icon_lol2.gif] I can't believe I read the whole thing.........again (It was written last December. I wonder if he would change any of his analyses today?)

The whole lengthy, gushing 'analysis' of his three favourite candidates could be reduced to a few sentences. His analysis of Dianne Watts sounds more like the sour grapes of a jilted lover than a political analyst. In fact, it's obvious that his two greatest fears are Dianne and proportional representation.

Let me ask you this: Do you really want another term of BC Liberal corruption and sleaze? I don't think the majority of British Columbians do, and that's what they're going to get if the membership chooses any of 'The Three Amigos' as their leader.

I even went on to read the comments on Brown's column. One commenter summed it all up quite well. He called Wilkinson an 'internet troll' who he wouldn't even want in a cabinet post. And Stone built his tarnished reputation on his disastrous mismanagement of the one portfolio he had........Translink. Also,the fact that deJong never once objected to Christy Clark's corrupt leadership was another BCLP black mark. The final paragraph reiterated what I think most British Columbians have been saying for years: "The BC Liberals are the equivalent of the Reform/Conservative parties. (They should go back to their old name, Socred, even though they're further right than VanderZalm ever was)".
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

CF, we know that those of you on the far left would never vote Liberal no matter who the leader was. You will vote NDP or Green. That's certainly your right but I'd be interested in hearing from people who are somewhere closer to the middle of the political spectrum as to what they think of the candidates for Liberal leader. Yes, we know that you claim that all the Liberals are criminals and the party is sleazy and the NDP is pure as the driven snow. Yada yada yada . . . we get it. The actual topic of this thread is far more interesting though.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 23rd, 2018, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 23rd, 2018, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:[list]
Cactusflower wrote:*removed*

Okay, I'll play your game. My crystal ball tells me that Dianne Watts will be the next BC Liberal leader with Todd Stone, Mike deJong, and Andrew Wilkinson taking second, third, and fourth place respectively. Sullivan and Lee will be also-rans.

Todd Stone is just Christy Clark in a suit and tie, deJong has way too much baggage (let's not forget the Burnaby Hospital fiasco when he was Health Minister, for just one example), and Wilkinson is just another cookie-cutter candidate for the BCLP.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:Okay, I'll play your game. My crystal ball tells me that Dianne Watts will be the next BC Liberal leader with Todd Stone, Mike deJong, and Andrew Wilkinson taking second, third, and fourth place respectively. Sullivan and Lee will be also-rans.

Todd Stone is just Christy Clark in a suit and tie, deJong has way too much baggage (let's not forget the Burnaby Hospital fiasco when he was Health Minister, for just one example), and Wilkinson is just another cookie-cutter candidate for the BCLP.

Yes, Mike de Jong as Minister of Finance having presided over the strongest economy in Canada has quite the baggage! And yes, Andrew Wilkinson being a doctor and a lawyer is just your typical "cookie-cutter" candidate. LOL! As for Todd Stone I'd say he's his own man but I won't argue with your conclusion that Dianne Watts will win the leadership because I really have no idea who will win. You might be right. Or you might be wrong. I will say that the future of the BC Liberal Party looks bright.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 23rd, 2018, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Urbane wrote:Yes, Mike de Jong as Minister of Finance having presided over the strongest economy in Canada has quite the baggage! And yes, Andrew Wilkinson being a doctor and a lawyer is just your typical "cookie-cutter" candidate. LOL! As for Todd Stone I'd say he's his own man but I won't argue with your conclusion that Dianne Watts will win the leadership because I really have no idea who will win. You might be right. Or you might be wrong. I will say that the future of the BC Liberal Party looks bright.

You have to forgive the NDPer's, they wouldn't know a good candidate if it smacked them in the face. Andrew Wilkinson has my vote, although there are a number of strong candidates who would do a fine job. Either way, the Liberals are electing the next Premier of BC.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

If you actually follow what is going on, each candidate has mini platform positions up on websites.

One candidate that has been building a lot of support is Michael Lee. More centrist than most of the candidates, and from my perspective a good balance of ideas for both the big urban centers and the rest of the province.

From a point of view of what the BC Liberals need, Lee and Watts seem to be the best options, but that isn't always what happens.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

From a point of view of what the BC Liberals need, Lee and Watts seem to be the best options, but that isn't always what happens.

Have to agree.
They seem like the best choices IMO.

Either way...the Libs need to get themselves sorted out incase Weaver pulls the plug on his unholy alliance and thrusts us into another provincial election. :200:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

You seem very confident that the BCLP will win the next election regardless of who wins the leadership race and regardless of what the government does in the meantime. I think you are being over-confident. Contrary to popular opinion, the corruption of Christy Clark was not the only reason they lost the last election.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I think you are being over-confident

Perhaps.
Time will tell.

Contrary to popular opinion, the corruption of Christy Clark was not the only reason they lost the last election.

Contrary to popular opinion on the Left....the Liberals *won* the most seats in the last election.

Anyway.....do try to stay on topic please.
:topic:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Leifer wrote:
I think you are being over-confident

Perhaps.
Time will tell.

Contrary to popular opinion, the corruption of Christy Clark was not the only reason they lost the last election.

Contrary to popular opinion on the Left....the Liberals *won* the most seats in the last election.

Anyway.....do try to stay on topic please.
:topic:

The topic is the BC Liberal leadership. How did my last comment stray from that?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Ten minutes to go before the BC Lib leader's debate. Who besides me is going to watch it?
Chill

Return to “B.C.”