BC Liberal leader - 2 months to go!!

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: BC Liberal leader - 2 months to go!!

Post by GordonH »

^^^ actually horgan was only elected as a MLA, only way he could get the premier job is via non confidence vote & Green parties MLA support.
He was never elected premier by the voters of BC
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

GordonH wrote:^^^ actually horgan was only elected as a MLA, only way he could get the premier job is via non confidence vote & Green parties MLA support.

When was the last premier directly elected by the people? I can't remember when. In fact, I don't think we ever had that type of election at all. Since the premier is picked by the representatives and not by the people, the premier never gets elected so by us.

Similarly, a premier doesn't win or lose the election beyond their own seat, though her party might win or lose the election, but how you judge that depends on your definition of winning and honestly, it's irrelevant since what matters is who gets to govern.

Now the Liberals are having a race to pick someone whom they hope will lead them to victory, and back into government in the next election. If they are smart about it, they'll pick someone who appeals to the voters they lost in the last election. If not, we'll get more of the same. I hope they can pick someone who can take the best ideas from across the spectrum and get the people behind them, but nothing mentioned here gives me any reason to hope for this outcome and so we will continue to have divisive politics with a backward looking BC, no matter who wins next time around.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://globalnews.ca/news/3774343/do-a ... stand-out/

Looking forward to reading more information on all the candidates.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

You guys are a bit slow. NOBODY has ever been elected Premier in BC. We elect people to be MLA's . Which ever party , or coalition of parties , has the majority of seats in the legislature , forms the government.
John Horgan was elected in his riding by a 2 to 1 margin over Cathy Noel. The NDP and Greens together have more seats than the Liberals so they are the government. John Horgan , as leader of the governing parties becomes the Premier.

If you don't like the system , move.

Just because you lost power , you don't like the system. You are just as bad as the Democrats down south , pick a truly detestable person to be your leader , and then have a complete meltdown when she doesn't win like she was supposed to.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

gordon_as wrote:Just because you lost power , you don't like the system. You are just as bad as the Democrats down south , pick a truly detestable person to be your leader , and then have a complete meltdown when she doesn't win like she was supposed to.

What in the world are you having a meltdown about? I'm just trying to figure out who would be the best candidate.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:actually horgan was only elected as a MLA, only way he could get the premier job is via non confidence vote & Green parties MLA support.

Verum wrote:When was the last premier directly elected by the people? I can't remember when. In fact, I don't think we ever had that type of election at all. Since the premier is picked by the representatives and not by the people, the premier never gets elected so by us.

Similarly, a premier doesn't win or lose the election beyond their own seat, though her party might win or lose the election, but how you judge that depends on your definition of winning and honestly, it's irrelevant since what matters is who gets to govern.

Now the Liberals are having a race to pick someone whom they hope will lead them to victory, and back into government in the next election. If they are smart about it, they'll pick someone who appeals to the voters they lost in the last election. If not, we'll get more of the same. I hope they can pick someone who can take the best ideas from across the spectrum and get the people behind them, but nothing mentioned here gives me any reason to hope for this outcome and so we will continue to have divisive politics with a backward looking BC, no matter who wins next time around.

^^^ leader of each political party is elected within that party. At each provincial or federal election voters pick a mla (province) or MP (feds), party with the most mla's or mp's win the election. The leader then becomes either a Premier or Prime minister (depending if its provincial election or federal election).
in minority its the party with most seats that becomes government, but anytime could see a non confidence vote taken etc.... etc
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Fancy wrote:
gordon_as wrote:Please link back to that statement. Once again , as usual , you are wrong.

Why would you deny saying Horgan was elected to start with?

I said : "Horgan was elected , and now he is the Premier". Which is exactly what happened. I can't help it if some mental midget decided to take issue with that statement.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

gordon_as wrote:You guys are a bit slow. NOBODY has ever been elected Premier in BC. We elect people to be MLA's . Which ever party , or coalition of parties , has the majority of seats in the legislature , forms the government.
John Horgan was elected in his riding by a 2 to 1 margin over Cathy Noel. The NDP and Greens together have more seats than the Liberals so they are the government. John Horgan , as leader of the governing parties becomes the Premier.

If you don't like the system , move.

Just because you lost power , you don't like the system. You are just as bad as the Democrats down south , pick a truly detestable person to be your leader , and then have a complete meltdown when she doesn't win like she was supposed to.

Okay, then NDP was not elected to be BC's government by the voters of BC. Since they did not win a majority of MLA's in the BC election.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

gordon_as wrote:I said : "Horgan was elected , and now he is the Premier". Which is exactly what happened. I can't help it if some mental midget decided to take issue with that statement.

Because it was in response to this:
It's going on 22 years with no elected NDP premier in BC.
Calling people names makes me wonder if you are backpedalling. This isn't the bickering thread.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The BC Liberal leadership race has entered the home stretch, with the period to sign up new memberships now closed.

Global BC Chief Political Correspondent Keith Baldrey has confirmed the party has signed up about 30,000 new members.

That nearly doubles the party’s membership, which stood at about 32,000 in August.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3938912/with ... e-stretch/
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Verum wrote:When was the last premier directly elected by the people? I can't remember when. In fact, I don't think we ever had that type of election at all. Since the premier is picked by the representatives and not by the people, the premier never gets elected so by us.

Pretty much have to agree with this , due to it's lack of total nonsense.
Must point out however that it is possible for someone to loose an election and still end up as Premier. The party just has to convince someone who won a safe riding to give up their position in exchange for ??? , then the party parachutes the looser into that safe riding for a by election , and Presto ! someone who was a looser in his/her own riding suddenly becomes Premier.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Fancy wrote:
gordon_as wrote:I said : "Horgan was elected , and now he is the Premier". Which is exactly what happened. I can't help it if some mental midget decided to take issue with that statement.

Because it was in response to this:
It's going on 22 years with no elected NDP premier in BC.
Calling people names makes me wonder if you are backpedalling. This isn't the bickering thread.

Why would I backpedal ? I made an accurate statement , which was misinterpreted by someone else.
As far as name calling goes , I have decided to adopt the MO of one of the Prominent anti NDP posters on this forum. If it good for the goose , it should be good for the gander as well.
Actually , honestly did think I was on the bickering thread , my bad.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Considering they weren't torturous, and that the BCLP won the last election, and that the NDP can't govern, and are full of really stupid people, .................

Classy
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

gordon_as wrote:Must point out however that it is possible for someone to loose an election and still end up as Premier. The party just has to convince someone who won a safe riding to give up their position in exchange for ??? , then the party parachutes the looser into that safe riding for a by election , and Presto ! someone who was a looser in his/her own riding suddenly becomes Premier.
Not suddenly (the word is lose btw) as she was first voted in as Premier in 2011.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Urbane wrote: Wilkinson is both a physician and a lawyer but you dismiss him as "too arrogant." LOL. Maybe "too smart."

Return to “B.C.”