Virtually free to user bus pass

Hermes
Fledgling

Virtually free to user bus pass

Post by Hermes »

I just found out about this. I can verify that this is true based on my own experience...

Anyone between 60 and 65 and on welfare etc qualifies for a bus pass at dramatically reduced price - in GVRD you get per year for $45 a three-zone pass that if you paid as a normal consumer would be over $2000. If you live in (or are travelling to) Kelowna etc you get a sticker that allows you to use the entire BC transit system. Skytrain, bus, seabus (but in vancouver, not Westcoast Express, the commuter hours train) are all included. I do not know if West Vancouver transit is included

I think this is both good and bad news.

Good because it makes looking for work and just plain surviving easier. Bad, because I found out about it accidently. There has been no communication from Welfare or translink or even my employment counsellor to inform anyone about it. Maybe it is new or they don't want us to know! So, I wrote the relevant authorities offering to work part-time at minimum wage to call everyone who qualifies (e.g. from a phone list). Plus 2.5X more volunteer hours to do same.

Let's see if the Ministers of Transport and of Welfare (too many words now to type the hyper-syllabic new name) take me up on my offer. No use having a program if it isn't promoted to the targeted audience - young old folks on limited income from the province.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Virtually free to user bus pass

Post by oneh2obabe »

The BC Bus Pass Program has been in existance for years. Two friends - both on disability - who I've know for 11 years have received their annual bus pass every year. Social Assistance offices have the information posted on the office bulletin board plus the information is included in the Kelowna Transit Rider's Guide (page 2 of the current guide).

Low income seniors can get the bus pass once they've completed the application and been approved. The bus pass is province wide meaning they don't have to pay additional fares no matter where they travel in BC.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tran ... s/bus-pass
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

oneh2obabe wrote:The BC Bus Pass Program has been in existance for years. Two friends - both on disability - who I've know for 11 years have received their annual bus pass every year. Social Assistance offices have the information posted on the office bulletin board plus the information is included in the Kelowna Transit Rider's Guide (page 2 of the current guide).

Low income seniors can get the bus pass once they've completed the application and been approved. The bus pass is province wide meaning they don't have to pay additional fares no matter where they travel in BC.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tran ... s/bus-pass

Curiously, I found about it from a city transit service not where I use it. The pass of which I speak is not for everyone over 65, it is for persons *over 60 and on government financial assistance*. Those on disability have for some time gotten this, yes. I was specifically told when I enquired last year about a bus pass that it was only for people under a different designation than I am. But this news was not relayed to me by anyone. Like I wrote, I found out by following a link from an Okanagan transit website (actually i think it was Penticton)
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Hermes wrote:Curiously, I found about it from a city transit service not where I use it. The pass of which I speak is not for everyone over 65, it is for persons *over 60 and on government financial assistance*. Those on disability have for some time gotten this, yes. I was specifically told when I enquired last year about a bus pass that it was only for people under a different designation than I am. But this news was not relayed to me by anyone. Like I wrote, I found out by following a link from an Okanagan transit website (actually i think it was Penticton)

It sounds like this is the "BC Bus Pass" program, still: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/passenger-travel/buses-taxis-limos/bus-pass/seniors

The eligibility criteria includes the "60–64 years old and on income assistance from the Province of British Columbia" eligibility class. The link I've provided includes contact and enrollment information.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “B.C.”