Stop Shooting Mamma Moose!

blueliner
Übergod

Re: Stop Shooting Mamma Moose!

Post by blueliner »

dirtybiker wrote:Since when does an Indian need a butchers services ?

Add that to the list; Field dress and process their own cuts !

The real sad part about that is its our tax $$$ that pay the butcher to cut up and wrap the poached meat . :swear: :swear:
Talk about a double slap in the face . :cuss:
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

I couldn't agree more with this thread. Its about time all Canadians speak up about this double standard for FN people. Its absolutely ridiculous the amount that we give these people at the expense of everyone else, Caucasian or not. And they still complain. They harvest Salmon using shopping carts then say the declining numbers are concerning, hunt at night, kill any animal they want, but then claim to be the "Protectors of Nature". Its all complete BS and they are simple milking the system (and our taxes) for its worth.

The whole subject annoys the hell out of me as its usually the chiefs profiting the most off their own people and the government wonders why there is still racism against natives.

http://www.discoveryfinance.com/annual- ... tions.html
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Nedroj wrote:I couldn't agree more with this thread. Its about time all Canadians speak up about this double standard for FN people. Its absolutely ridiculous the amount that we give these people at the expense of everyone else, Caucasian or not. And they still complain. They harvest Salmon using shopping carts then say the declining numbers are concerning, hunt at night, kill any animal they want, but then claim to be the "Protectors of Nature". Its all complete BS and they are simple milking the system (and our taxes) for its worth.

Speaking of which, I was at my dad's place over Christmas, and he's the most pro-native rights as you'll find. He's worked for Indian bands, and has help advocate on their behalf to gain(uphold?) constitutional rights, and yet, I found I book on his bookshelf written by a friend of his (I can't remember the title nor the author). I opened it up, and discovered a passage about how this "protectors of nature" and "spiritual practices" line of reasoning is completely fabricated to gain rights. Just because someone's ancestors go back 40 generations in this land and mine only go back 6, that doesn't mean they're more interested in protecting the land than I am. The spiritual practices line is completely fabricated since there was never anything spiritual about hunting. It was survival and trophy hunting just as it was with my ancestors in Europe. It's a trump card that encompasses religious freedom and indigenous rights, and that makes the hand look so awesome that no one wants to even think about calling the bluff. Instead, it's much easier to just fold.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

To adhere to the BC hunting regulations and have any success taking big game, (deer, elk, moose, bear, sheep etc.) is a difficult task. It takes a lot of preparation, planning, expense, time and dedication. Many ethical hunters ( except retiree's) have full time jobs and their hunting time is limited and dependant on scheduling. The actual time spent in the bush is precious and not taken lightly by dedicated hunters. The animals are wise to hunting and limit their exposure during the daylight (legal shooting) hours. The odd hunter will get lucky and take an animal with minimal effort however that is the exception not the rule.

Having to work hard and pay dearly to harvest an animal is generally accepted and hunters are appreciative of the opportunity. Once an animal is down the real work begins to ensure a good product to feed oneself and family. The appreciation fueled by hard work ensures great care is taken in handling the animal and nothing is wasted. If you make a bad shot or taint the meat you can't just throw it aside and take another one. Firstly, it's illegal, and secondly you likely will not get another opportunity while hunting within the laws.

For these and many more reasons the hunters abiding by the regulations have the greatest respect for every aspect of hunting. They are also protective of the animals and their environment. If you want to raise the ire of any ethical hunter, his friends or his family just mess with the animals. Hunters will be the first people to come to their defence and protect the animals rights.

To hunt unregulated is easy.

A poacher can go out any time they choose and kill any animal they choose. Hunting at night provides an immense advantage over both the animals and ethical hunters. The does, cows and calf's become easy targets day or night as being left alone by the ethical hunters instills a false sense of security. This serves the poachers well. Shot placement and care of poached animals becomes less important. If an animal is injured and disappears in the dark night no poacher is tracking it. It's easier to move on and shoot the next one. Some poachers take only the choice parts and leave the rest to rot. Every aspect of unregulated hunting becomes easier because you have an unlimited number and no one to stop you from it. Why would you respect something that comes with such little effort and cost?

Some inventory's are rapidly dwindling. Some animals lost on highways, rail tracks, to predators and disease. These aspects are difficult to address. There are also many more animals lost to individuals who poach without regulation and answer to no one willing to come into the public eye. These people are going to be the demise of hunting but will cry out the loudest and point their finger at everyone but themselves.
Someone has to say it.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

blueliner wrote:The real sad part about that is its our tax $$$ that pay the butcher to cut up and wrap the poached meat . :swear: :swear:

This I am not aware of. Are you serious? FN's can hunt anytime they want and also get someone else to butcher it on taxpayer dime?? If true, what the f is traditional about this?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

twobits wrote:
blueliner wrote:The real sad part about that is its our tax $$$ that pay the butcher to cut up and wrap the poached meat . :swear: :swear:

This I am not aware of. Are you serious? FN's can hunt anytime they want and also get someone else to butcher it on taxpayer dime?? If true, what the f is traditional about this?

Yes they can hunt 24/7 in the " Traditional territory" no bag limit , no consideration for any conservation and yes the tax payers foot the bill at the butcher shop :smt045 :smt045
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

So then, the taxpaying public is the definition of a gullible dupe ? :-X
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
falklandjack

Post by falklandjack »

Unfortunately, this is a sad but true fact in B.C. I have seen the decimation of moose in northern B.C. firsthand myself. Carcass left to rot with only the nose and tongue removed as these are considered a delicacy! Go ahead and try to find a moose in B.C, anywhere, it's tough to do. Something definitely needs to be done.
I can see what will be done already. Hunting opportunities for ethical hunters will be reduced, while FN poachers will be allowed to continue the slaughter in the name of "our native right"
People that purchase this meat should be charged as well. I can't see anyone eating 90 moose themselves, even if they are giving it to the members of their band.
FN leaders need to take a more active role in policing these individual's instead of turning a blind eye. Native rights are fine, as long as they are not abused. Go back to the traditional ways. Bow, spear for hunting, and cedar bark net for fishing. Leave the white mans rifle and monofilament nets behind.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

Urbanites have no idea of this situation. Ignorance is bliss as they say. They buy into the "keepers of the land" clap trap and never question anything. As soon as this subject does come up, their guilt comes to the surface and they pull out the "you're a racist" card, thereby stopping the conversation. The losers in this are the animals.
So meanwhile, ungulate populations suffer and the scapegoat is the ethical hunter.
Just watch who gets the blame for declining numbers. :smt045
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

falklandjack wrote:Unfortunately, this is a sad but true fact in B.C. I have seen the decimation of moose in northern B.C. firsthand myself. Carcass left to rot with only the nose and tongue removed as these are considered a delicacy! Go ahead and try to find a moose in B.C, anywhere, it's tough to do. Something definitely needs to be done.
I can see what will be done already. Hunting opportunities for ethical hunters will be reduced, while FN poachers will be allowed to continue the slaughter in the name of "our native right"
People that purchase this meat should be charged as well. I can't see anyone eating 90 moose themselves, even if they are giving it to the members of their band.
FN leaders need to take a more active role in policing these individual's instead of turning a blind eye. Native rights are fine, as long as they are not abused. Go back to the traditional ways. Bow, spear for hunting, and cedar bark net for fishing. Leave the white mans rifle and monofilament nets behind.

I have to say it seems only fair to me, that if they insist on using the "native rights" or "ancestral traditions" argument, then they should by law be required to also use the hunting methods of their ancestors, which I'm fairly certain didn't include jacked up trucks with air craft landing lights attached to blind their prey at night.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Let's just send PETA and Vegan's after them for a tax on their animal protein.

Something however makes me think that if these lunatics actually got their wish, FN's could present a status card and be exempt because meat is a traditional part of their diet.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

" I want my cake and eat it too".

I can only think that a collection of ignoramuses sitting behind a big government desk didn't have the foresight to see this happening. Probably just threw it at them thinking this will help appease them with no thought to the repercussions.

Being granted traditional hunting permissions comes with a huge responsibility as the potential for abuse is enormous. It appears the FN (in some areas) are unable to manage the resource or monitor and prosecute the offenders within their own bands. Surely the Chiefs and Elders are both embarrassed and disturbed by members bragging about killing 90 moose in 2 years. Or maybe they aren't? I have no way of knowing their stance as to the best of my knowledge they have not spoken publicly.

Time for some changes in the regulations to which they must follow and changes in who can prosecute the offenders.
Someone has to say it.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Look at those three FN people in Penticton that shot a deer on private land. One of them is even on the Band council. There was an article on Castanet about them actually getting caught and charged. But I'd like to hear what sentence was handed down to these poachers and compare it to a Caucasian or Chinese person getting caught doing the same thing.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... h-poaching
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They had a lot of support and will appear again on January 31st. There will be a statement issued in the next couple of weeks. You can bet what that will say.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Nedroj wrote:Look at those three FN people in Penticton that shot a deer on private land. One of them is even on the Band council.

It was actually two elk. Both of them cows, one pregnant, and the other a juvenile. They took the meat of the mature cow and left the fetus and juvenile to rot on private property.
Stewards of the land?

Return to “B.C.”