Stop Shooting Mamma Moose!

Nedroj
Übergod

Re: Stop Shooting Mamma Moose!

Post by Nedroj »

Fancy wrote:They had a lot of support and will appear again on January 31st. There will be a statement issued in the next couple of weeks. You can bet what that will say.

Of course all the bleeding heart liberal social justice warriors will be out supporting them and their "ancestral right" to hunt on private property, with high powered rifles. I hope the owner took pictures of what was left behind to prove to the courts that these people are no Stewards of the Land and are in fact the worse perpetrators of Canadian hunting regulations.

I am very curious as to what they will say.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

The irony in decimating the caribou, moose and buffalo populations in order to starve indians into submission for centuries then turning around 100 years later and shouting "save some for the rest of us!"
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Readers of this forum should never forget that the destructive and wasteful enviromental ethics some FN members have was learned, not passed down.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Brass Monkey wrote:The irony in decimating the caribou, moose and buffalo populations in order to starve indians into submission for centuries then turning around 100 years later and shouting "save some for the rest of us!"
There's no irony there when we weren't born 100 years ago.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Fancy wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:The irony in decimating the caribou, moose and buffalo populations in order to starve indians into submission for centuries then turning around 100 years later and shouting "save some for the rest of us!"
There's no irony there when we weren't born 100 years ago.

I wasn’t either, so why are my FN rights being targeted? My grandparents migrated here from the Sinixt Indian band (declared extinct in 1956) of the kootenay region after miners made camp by the masses during the gold rush and decimated the local moose, elk and sheep populations. Rights maintained by people for 13,000 years shouldn’t be compromised by those who have historically made a goal out of taking hunting rights from FN people.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Making reference to what you believe happened 300 years ago is no argument to justify what some Indians are doing today. It's a cop out and you are living in the past except for the means used to over-harvest animals which belong to all BC residents. If you want to hunt like the Indians of 300 years ago did I'm sure the majority of people would be more than happy to accommodate you.
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Brass Monkey wrote:Readers of this forum should never forget that the destructive and wasteful enviromental ethics some FN members have was learned, not passed down.

Destructive and wasteful behaviour is a choice. In this day and age, if you're old enough to carry a rifle in the bush you are old enough to show respect for the animals and citizens of BC.

Who are you implying it was that 'taught' some FN members to take 90 moose in two years and waste the meat? If you're suggesting white people are responsible for this behaviour you are wrong. You have not complained about FN learning of the white man's means and tools for hunting. Why so selective in your complaining ?

This is a good start though, you have acknowledged the destruction and waste at the hands of the greedy FN members.
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

Brass Monkey wrote:I wasn’t either, so why are my FN rights being targeted? My grandparents migrated here from the Sinixt Indian band (declared extinct in 1956) of the kootenay region after miners made camp by the masses during the gold rush and decimated the local moose, elk and sheep populations. Rights maintained by people for 13,000 years shouldn’t be compromised by those who have historically made a goal out of taking hunting rights from FN people.

Unregulated hunting is being discussed because the abuse at the hands of FN people dictates that's they are unable to restrain themselves from overharvesting. Dwindling animal populations and increased human populations dictate that change is needed. This isn't 11,000 BC anymore, its 2018 AD. Everything has changed except your ideology.

What would you say to your unregulated hunting being acceptable provided you used only the comparatively primitive means available in 11,000 BC ? One exception though... you are welcome to walk all the roads that did not exist at that time. That should help. Otherwise use any legal means available and adhere to the current regulations like the majority of ethical hunters.
Someone has to say it.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

generalposter wrote:Unregulated hunting is being discussed because the abuse at the hands of FN people dictates that's they are unable to restrain themselves from overharvesting. Dwindling animal populations and increased human populations dictate that change is needed. This isn't 11,000 BC anymore, its 2018 AD. Everything has changed except your ideology.

What would you say to your unregulated hunting being acceptable provided you used only the comparatively primitive means available in 11,000 BC ? One exception though... you are welcome to walk all the roads that did not exist at that time. That should help. Otherwise use any legal means available and adhere to the current regulations like the majority of ethical hunters.

Not once has blatant disrespect for the land ever been apart of mine or my people’s ideology, it took centuries for the Canadian government to install European values into indigenous people. As a result most FN don’t even say a prayer when they down an animal anymore. Government regulated hunting laws doesn’t tell me what’s ethical and what’s not, government regulation allowed the relentless desecration of animals and their habitats that led to scarcity in the first place.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Destructive and wasteful behaviour is a choice. In this day and age, if you're old enough to carry a rifle in the bush you are old enough to show respect for the animals and citizens of BC.

Who are you implying it was that 'taught' some FN members to take 90 moose in two years and waste the meat? If you're suggesting white people are responsible for this behaviour you are wrong. You have not complained about FN learning of the white man's means and tools for hunting. Why so selective in your complaining ?

This is a good start though, you have acknowledged the destruction and waste at the hands of the greedy FN members.[/quote]

The story of 90 moose being bagged by a single Indian is merely a story from a forum member and nothing more, I could just as easily say I witnessed my non-FN uncle run over a black bear and her two cubs and laugh about it. I am entirely suggesting Europeans are responsible, these English speaking, rifle carrying, animal slaughtering, truck driving natives are entirely more representative of European culture and not their traditional heritage.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

generalposter wrote:

Making reference to what you believe happened 300 years ago is no argument to justify what some Indians are doing today. It's a cop out and you are living in the past except for the means used to over-harvest animals which belong to all BC residents. If you want to hunt like the Indians of 300 years ago did I'm sure the majority of people would be more than happy to accommodate you.

There is no hunting like there was 300 years ago, the Europeans hadn’t yet committed mass species extinction in th the Americas.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Brass Monkey wrote:I wasn’t either, so why are my FN rights being targeted?

No one is targeting your rights at all. Rather, we are talking about rights AND responsibilities. You, I, and everyone else CANNOT have rights forever if we ignore the responsibilities that correspond to those rights...

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Brass Monkey wrote:Readers of this forum should never forget that the destructive and wasteful enviromental ethics some FN members have was learned, not passed down.

Then how about you and everyone living in Canada follow the Canadian laws regarding hunting where ever possible? Bag limits are put into place to keep populations in check and are regularly reviewed. What makes you think you’re informed enough on all of Canada’s wildlife population to make that call? Having a group of any race hunting unregulated can cause a sever imbalance in the numbers. Obviously the First Nations from up north and in remote locations need to hunt year around out of nessasity but there is no excuse for hunting (or overhunting) year around for any purpose if you have food readily available at stores down the street. And it can’t be a ceremonial thing as I’m pretty sure taking down a moose with large caliber rifle is not a spiritually significant experience.

However should any FN wish to revive their ancestorial hunting practices then go right ahead. But you can only use weapons from that era. From what I remember of FN history it was a sort of a right of passage for the young men to join the hunters on their trips to find the local herds of game.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People are responsible for their own actions and placing blame on others for unethical hunting seems to indicate the lack of teachings within a group. Hunting at night with bright lights isn't a safe hunting practice.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Then how about you and everyone living in Canada follow the Canadian laws regarding hunting where ever possible? Bag limits are put into place to keep populations in check and are regularly reviewed. What makes you think you’re informed enough on all of Canada’s wildlife population to make that call? Having a group of any race hunting unregulated can cause a sever imbalance in the numbers. Obviously the First Nations from up north and in remote locations need to hunt year around out of nessasity but there is no excuse for hunting (or overhunting) year around for any purpose if you have food readily available at stores down the street. And it can’t be a ceremonial thing as I’m pretty sure taking down a moose with large caliber rifle is not a spiritually significant experience.

However should any FN wish to revive their ancestorial hunting practices then go right ahead. But you can only use weapons from that era. From what I remember of FN history it was a sort of a right of passage for the young men to join the hunters on their trips to find the local herds of game.[/quote]

Any group of people who hunt without regulation can cause an imbalance that is true, the group responsible for this imbalance are not FN members. Im willing to bet more moose are hit by highway traffic than are poached by FN members. The Alaskan Moose Federation claimed to have disposed of 1100 roadkill moose between September 2015 and February 2016 alone. That is one roadkill disposal company monitoring 3 major cities and the highways between them. Ill go back to hunting with spears and fishing with nets when the animals return and you petition to the city of Kelowna to un-dam the lake so I can fish here like my ancestors before me did for thousands of years.

Return to “B.C.”